The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brake Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
North Carolina
I’ve seen on other forums people using Cadillac ATS Brembo 4piston calipers but I haven’t seen any of them actually race their cars. There’s also clearance issues with the caliper and wheel spokes so you’re limited on wheel options. I thought about trying it but not keen on running a 1/2” spacer up front. Might be something to look into though.

I’ve seen on other forums people using Cadillac ATS Brembo 4piston calipers but I haven’t seen any of them actually race their cars. There’s also clearance issues with the caliper and wheel spokes so you’re limited on wheel options. I thought about trying it but not keen on running a 1/2” spacer up front. Might be something to look into though.
One of the guys I run with has this combination, it does work, but he seems to lock up quite easily.

To the OP: I used to run the powerstrop trackday pads on my race car and really only stopped because I would run through them in a weekend and a half. But we are running more tire than you are and in a W2W environment where the brakes take an absolute beating.

They seemed fairly friendly, like a hot street pad and they were cheap too. Just an option for you.

The other option is to run a set of street friendly pads like HPS or something and a street set of rotors, and swap them out for a track weekend to a track set of pads/rotors. I actually like this approach because it forces you to inspect everything before and after, and also you aren't "that guy" who pulls up at a stoplight and the car sounds like a garbage truck coming to a stop.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
MI
One of the guys I run with has this combination, it does work, but he seems to lock up quite easily.

To the OP: I used to run the powerstrop trackday pads on my race car and really only stopped because I would run through them in a weekend and a half. But we are running more tire than you are and in a W2W environment where the brakes take an absolute beating.

They seemed fairly friendly, like a hot street pad and they were cheap too. Just an option for you.

The other option is to run a set of street friendly pads like HPS or something and a street set of rotors, and swap them out for a track weekend to a track set of pads/rotors. I actually like this approach because it forces you to inspect everything before and after, and also you aren't "that guy" who pulls up at a stoplight and the car sounds like a garbage truck coming to a stop.
Lol! Garbage truck! Yes! I’ll never get used to people giving me stink eye when I’m stopping at a light in town….

Great advice on the street setup and a separate track setup! I like the safety reasoning you mention.

Thanks everyone!!

Caliper replacement Brake Line Plug Hack: replacing or rebuilding calipers, this is a trick to plug the brake line that works great and quick to plug.
- Use two different sized vaccuum line caps, see pics.
- Have them barely together to start. Place the partially assembled pair into the brake line end. Push the smaller red one to expand and lock in the white one.
- reverse process to remove.
(Not sure where this was best to post. Have been doing for a few years with success, finally took pics today during a rebuild today).

812FC1ED-C281-4684-A1D5-2F206A2977A1.jpeg

C68B5D76-0E17-4F62-BFD6-DC1D97773D4C.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel