The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Brake pressure sender port

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
I am looking to add a true brake PSI sender to my data system. The sender is easy, the port not so much.

The master threads are M12x1 and offer very little to no options in regards of T fittings that add an NPT port. What have you used or what could I use without cutting into my brake lines?

1646673210270.png

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I am looking to add a true brake PSI sender to my data system. The sender is easy, the port not so much.

The master threads are M12x1 and offer very little to no options in regards of T fittings that add an NPT port. What have you used or what could I use without cutting into my brake lines?

View attachment 73165
You have to cut a tee into the line. we could not find a proper Metric adapter for the AiM sensor on my buddies S197. Eastwood makes a nice vise held multi flaring tool that worked perfectly. https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-pro-brake-tubing-flaring-tool-with-45-and-37-degree-die-set.html https://www.speedwaymotors.com/3-8-...vRhDjFf1EZiVD-SeazjhczF1Lxwvgq3IaAqWPEALw_wcB

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
Awesome input!

I was hoping for this to be an easy addition to the data system. Looks like it is a lot more work than anticipated. The real question now is, is all this work worth the data you gained?

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
if you still have the ford 11-14 ABS system on your HS canbus with the control pack you can just ask for the data there on

View attachment 73209

That works for both Boss 302S/R (similar to controls pack) and OEM GT/Boss (production canbus system with ECU bridge in cluster)
Chris can you write it up again on how to access that data using AiM if possible.
Steve

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
For 11-14 - AIM has two published ECU presets, the "Boss 302R X05 OF" and "Mustang 2011" ECU presets which only the boss has the "aMCylPressES" ID for the master cylinder pressure sensor (located in the abs box). You can always make a custom can protocol in Racestudio 3, add this CAN ID to that, and load it to a config for a device or dash that has the "Mustang 2011" ECU already mapped and overwrite that value.

15+ gets a bit more complicated but their new v2 presets seem to be a bit better there (but I don't have a spare AIM device to play with besides the smartycam which has limited ECU bridge capability)

Let me know and I can go into more detail, but I'm far from an AIM expert - just have some canbus background and slept at a Holiday Inn Express.

I can't remember if the can ID is hex or decimal, so screenshots here are hex for the 529 ID (which you might have to test both ways):
1646783245661.png
1646783359012.png

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
For 11-14 - AIM has two published ECU presets, the "Boss 302R X05 OF" and "Mustang 2011" ECU presets which only the boss has the "aMCylPressES" ID for the master cylinder pressure sensor (located in the abs box). You can always make a custom can protocol in Racestudio 3, add this CAN ID to that, and load it to a config for a device or dash that has the "Mustang 2011" ECU already mapped and overwrite that value.

15+ gets a bit more complicated but their new v2 presets seem to be a bit better there (but I don't have a spare AIM device to play with besides the smartycam which has limited ECU bridge capability)

Let me know and I can go into more detail, but I'm far from an AIM expert - just have some canbus background and slept at a Holiday Inn Express.

I can't remember if the can ID is hex or decimal, so screenshots here are hex for the 529 ID (which you might have to test both ways):
View attachment 73212
View attachment 73213
Thanks Chris, that will be helpful to many. The GT350 ECU preset has brake pressure, that is what I use for my data info. The brake bar in my video is brake pressure info.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
Thanks Steve - there's also a great guide here on how we reverse engineered those CAN ID's and built the preset for Autosport Labs:

While that's for racecapture, the same processes and principles apply to any canbus car and any data platform (AIM, RC, motec, racekeeper, etc).

Some day I'll work on more CAN IDs for the mustang presets for 11-14 racers, and start on the 2015+ stuff (which is complex due to TPS changes in 2017 and 2018, and some modules have mid-platform changes as well as the cars got more features)

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
I have been using the same data so far but was under the impression it was just pedal travel on the GT and not actual brake pressure. Thus I have been looking to add an actual pressure sender. Have I been mistaken the whole time?

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I have been using the same data so far but was under the impression it was just pedal travel on the GT and not actual brake pressure. Thus I have been looking to add an actual pressure sender. Have I been mistaken the whole time?
Yes - it’s pressure based. There’s no pedal travel sensor for the brake and from a platform perspective travel is less useful data than pressure. It’s read from the abs box on the from the master cylinder feed - which is why the only wires you see on either the master cylinder or brake pedal is either the brake light switch or the low fluid sensor.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
Yes - it’s pressure based. There’s no pedal travel sensor for the brake and from a platform perspective travel is less useful data than pressure. It’s read from the abs box on the from the master cylinder feed - which is why the only wires you see on either the master cylinder or brake pedal is either the brake light switch or the low fluid sensor.
That is great news. I also found the twist in my thinking. The Can profile on my old Aim DL was using the brake light trigger and only providing a binary signal. When using your RaceCapture preset I did not realize that it was using actual brake pressure and more importantly that the car even supports that.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas

View attachment 73212
View attachment 73213
This is great information, I've been looking for some time for more information on Ford ECU channels. While I'm using the AIM 2011+ ECU presets with my Solo 2DL, that ECU set is incomplete when it comes to many of the vehicle health and driver performance measures I'd like to see. Brake Pressure is one of them, IAT and IAT2 (2012 GT500 with Supercharger/Intercooler) are others.

Do you or anyone else have a list of CAN IDs for the common vehicle items like Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, IAT etc.? I don't have any experience with Canbus though I am fairly computer literate and willing to give just about anything a try. (Including pushing the AIM ECU team to update the 2011+ Preset)

Bill

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
This is great information, I've been looking for some time for more information on Ford ECU channels. While I'm using the AIM 2011+ ECU presets with my Solo 2DL, that ECU set is incomplete when it comes to many of the vehicle health and driver performance measures I'd like to see. Brake Pressure is one of them, IAT and IAT2 (2012 GT500 with Supercharger/Intercooler) are others.

Do you or anyone else have a list of CAN IDs for the common vehicle items like Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, IAT etc.? I don't have any experience with Canbus though I am fairly computer literate and willing to give just about anything a try. (Including pushing the AIM ECU team to update the 2011+ Preset)

Bill
I don't think for GT there was any oil temp or pressure measured. The oem gauge for 2011-2014 GT cars was a switch-driven (aka, it moves the needle to the ok range if there's pressure, and goes red if not, but no actual measurement).

There's not a ton of data out there on PIDs since you either have to reverse engineer them like the link above mentioned in my case, or you buy access to them through very expensive memberships (20k+), or find the work done by others. I hadn't had a lot of luck there. I'd love to grab the onboard measurements like lambda actual and desired, spark advance, and cam positions as they don't work on the mustang 2011 presets from AIM or the Boss 302R ones (when reading off a OEM canbus - perhaps someone with a 302S/R could confirm for us if they get anything from those presets). I hadn't been able to reverse engineer them as well as its tough to compare data in real time for engine operation without a secondary measurement (easy when you can spin a wheel and see which can channel changes, bit harder to track a camshaft or AFR value)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel