The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Brake rotor upgrade question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hi, its near time to order new rotors, For the front, was looking at Baer 2pc, DBA 5000 2pc and Giro disc 2pc floaters. The Baers start at $645, the DBAs about $740 and the Giros about $800. The car spends lots of time at the track. Are the Baer 2pc rotors a solid cheaper choice?? Or is it worth getting the others considering the use?

Or considering that they will not last that long! Is it better just to get a set of Fr/Re DBA 4000 slotted discs for about $500?? and save money for more Pagid pads!

Sticking with the stock Brembo calipers etc.

IMO, with the stock calipers I'd rather sink what limited track funds I have into race pads and tires. To me it's a cost-benefit question: Are the 2-piece Girodiscs, Baers, DBAs, etc. worth the much higher cost for the potential marginal increase in braking performance gained? I'm not sure they are, but other's may have a different opinion.

But again, this is an important question for those on a limited budget because, if you do even a modest amount of HPDE annually, your rotors will need replacing as with other wear item 'consumables' like pads, fluid and tires. By most accounts, the expensive 2-piece rotors don't last much, if any, longer than, for example, the stock Ford rotors which work well enough, and are cheap to replace. You can buy, what, 4 or 5 sets of Ford rotors for the price 1 set of Girodiscs?

Looked at another way, for the price delta between stock Ford rotors and Girodiscs, you could buy 2 sets of top of the line Pagid or Carbotech race pads. Or, a whole set of Conti 'scrub' race tires with enough left over to pay for gas for an HPDE weekend.

Of course, if price is no object then I'd go with Girodiscs. Or better yet, I'd be upgrading to race-spec Brembo or StopTech calipers, too.

I would not use the Baer's unless you get them with slots and no holes. If you go two piece I'd check between the Girodisc and DBA's and see which has the less expensive replacement rings.

I just ordered a set of Stoptech ST40 calipers and 355x35mm rotors for more heat dissipation. Probably overkill but what the heck.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=6570.0

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
NFSBOSS said:
I would not use the Baer's unless you get them with slots and no holes. If you go two piece I'd check between the Girodisc and DBA's and see which has the less expensive replacement rings.

I just ordered a set of Stoptech ST40 calipers and 355x35mm rotors for more heat dissipation. Probably overkill but what the heck.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=6570.0

Yes, I read your thread on whats looks to be a great brake upgrade. But quite a bit more expensive then I can go for right now. What with a long wish list of tires, wheels, pads LCA etc. IT NEVER ENDS!!! Might go with the Powerslot 1 pc disc set and save some cash for other goodies, more or less a long the lines that Dabossinne mentioned. I would hate to spend the money on 2pc rotors and not notice much difference!

Mad Hatter (ex splatter) said:
Yes, I read your thread on whats looks to be a great brake upgrade. But quite a bit more expensive then I can go for right now. What with a long wish list of tires, wheels, pads LCA etc. IT NEVER ENDS!!! Might go with the Powerslot 1 pc disc set and save some cash for other goodies, more or less a long the lines that Dabossinne mentioned. I would hate to spend the money on 2pc rotors and not notice much difference!
After running several sets DBA 5000, 4000, Frozen Rotors, along with some others that I don't even remember over the years, I'm just running the stockers for basically the same reasons dabossinne stated.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks, just placed an order from LMR for a complete set of Powerslots. Since the shipping from them was free, the cost was pretty close to the stock rotors

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
After running several sets DBA 5000, 4000, Frozen Rotors, along with some others that I don't even remember over the years, I'm just running the stockers for basically the same reasons dabossinne stated.

+1; the stock blanks aren't light, but they take a lickin' and keep on tickin'...plus they are dirt cheap by comparison to any aftermarket alternative.

What's the best pricing you guys have found for stock brembo rotors? They show to be $180 each at my local dealer... and $120 at Tousley. Any better sources?

I had BAERS, they're junk (really!!! They look good but they are for show only).
I have GIRODISCS on my Shelby, they are great!
I have DBA 4000 on my Boss, they are great!
I had a STOPTECH kit on my Z06 and it was serious track stuff!
And I agree that the OEM ones are very good too after all...

Torsion said:
What's the best pricing you guys have found for stock brembo rotors? They show to be $180 each at my local dealer... and $120 at Tousley. Any better sources?

The front rotor is Motorcraft part BRRF6. Its $81.23 with free shipping from Amazon. See:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-BRRF6-Disc-Brake-Rotor/dp/B002M48CVQ/ref=lh_ni_t?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The rear rotor is Motorcraft part BRRF-45. It is $43.66 with free shipping from Amazon. See:

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-BRRF-45-Brake-Rotor/dp/B006DYZ7HI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1

I like to support our board vendors, but sometimes you find prices to hard to pass up. The fronts are about $30 cheaper not counting shipping costs than anyone else. You can verify the part numbers on Rock Auto if you like. Amazon also has a no questions asked return policy.

Steve

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thats good info for the future! I only found the regular Ford prices that where rather expensive since they did no include shipping. The Powerslots from LMR came out to 279 front pair and 179 rear pair including shipping to my freight forwarder in Florida.

I was surprised to see that the rear discs have about twice the surface wear on the inside compared to the outside surface.

For the Stop Tech Power Slots, Amazon is also a good place - specifically the Car Parts King. You need to know your part numbers though.

For future reference:

Front Left Stop Tech Power Slot 126.61089SL:
http://www.amazon.com/StopTech-126-61089SL-Sport-Rotors/dp/B003K1B230/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388936363&sr=8-1&keywords=126.61089SL

Front Right Stop Tech Power Slot 126.61089SR:

http://www.amazon.com/Power-126-61089SR-Slotted-Brake-Rotor/dp/B001O9CYZK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388936914&sr=8-2&keywords=126.61089SR

If you go the Amazon route, you should buy the parts before you really need them - the part numbers are not always in stock on the best deals. You also do not get any support from the discount vendors other than a decent return policy.

Basically, if I know what I need, I buy from a reputable vendor with the best price. If I have questions, I usually call one of our board sponsors and then buy the parts from them even if they cost more - their help finding the right part to fit my need actually saves me money in the long run.

Steve

I spent $$$ On DBA 5000 two piece rotors and cracked one through and through on my third track day. Replaced them with three sets of NAPA rotors. I always bring a spare to the track too. So easy to change.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yes, I know, was very tempted, but with shipping it came out to 100 bucks more then Latemodelrestoration and the Powerslots. Also need them in a hurry or I will miss out on a event. I think in the future I will go with stock rears at least and .... Turn TC off!! :-\

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Have to echo FURTHER, as I was hoping for good results with the DBAs but had very similar problems. Will not be using them again , and switched over to the Girodiscs ( made right here in the good ole US of A ) and am stoked about these two piece units. I will literally stand my Boss on it's nose under braking with Carbotech 24s on the front , 8s on the back, and the Giros were stout enough for me to outbrake a Porsche GT3 at High Plains Raceway this Summer ( 135mph straight). Really like the lightweight discs and
am not getting any fade. The stock rotors are fine for many , but I think it depends on your braking style , and l like the lighter unsprung weight. Have suggested usage for some buddies with Vipers and they are digging on them also. To me they are the quality of the Stoptech rotors, but less costly and every bit as strong. Like the fact that they are built and machined here in America and the service is superb. We sell various rotors through Woodhouse Motorsports, but I am going to be sticking with these for quite awhile-- good product!!!

TMO Supporting Vendors