The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Brakes - Swapping Street and Track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
NC
What are you guys doing for brakes where your car still see's street use? Are you swapping back to some kind of street pad with compatible compound or do you have a separate set of brake pads and rotors just for street? Or do you just bear through the dust and noise?

My car is about 60/40 track/street use at this point. I thought I'd be fine with the pads I last put on for track (carbotech XP12 front, XP10 rear) but they dust an insane amount on street and are very noisy. Debating swapping to carbotech 1521 for street or just something entirely different with their own set of rotors.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
What are you guys doing for brakes where your car still see's street use? Are you swapping back to some kind of street pad with compatible compound or do you have a separate set of brake pads and rotors just for street? Or do you just bear through the dust and noise?

My car is about 60/40 track/street use at this point. I thought I'd be fine with the pads I last put on for track (carbotech XP12 front, XP10 rear) but they dust an insane amount on street and are very noisy. Debating swapping to carbotech 1521 for street or just something entirely different with their own set of rotors.
I used to run the R12/R10 set up. I used to swap to R10/R8 between track events. Then I started to get lazy and left the R10's on the back since they were more of a hassle to change and found that the R10's didn't give much noise on the street. I moved to GLoc R16/R12. I have gotten lazy and do not change them for the little street driving I do. They can be noisy depending on how you drive them. Just break hard and late and the noise goes away. It is fun to see the car in front of you at the red light panic when you come in hot.:)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Texas
I swap the pads (G-Locs) and the front rotors out as well and leave them sitting until track prep time. I just couldn't stand the noise of the cold brakes on the street, and I'm also probably a bit over-protective of my expensive track rotors and sleep better when they are sitting on the shelf. At some point the weight of limited street use and laziness will likely change my attitude on this.

If you find a pad combo you like that's good enough for track and not terribly noisy, I'd be curious what you use.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Auckland, New Zealand
Swapping pads and rotors in/out is the best, but I'm a bit lazy and my car is more 80/20 track/street ration so also just drive on street with the race pads and don't swap them around. I'm running Pagid RST3 front, RSL29 rear combo. A bit noisy on street, but a couple of firm stops to get some heat in them helps a lot with the noise.

TMO Supporting Vendors