The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Building A Track Capable 3v Mustang Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
It's been a while since I've been here!

Changes to the car: tires

After only 24 heat cycles, I chorded my 295/35/18 RE71RS tires. They were a huge step up in grip compared to the continentals, but boy did it sting to see a chord after such a short amount of time. 24 heat cycles. Ouch. With that in mind, I knew I loved the pace of the RE71RS, but disliked the lack of life. So in my research I came across the revised Nankang CR-S, which has been tested to be similar pace as the RE71RS, but 20-30% longer lasting. Grassroots motorsports has a great comparison article between these two tires. With that decided, I pulled the trigger on 315/30/18 CR-S, got them mounted up, and headed to Buttonwillow raceway park. And oh MAN did those Nankangs throw down!!!

We clocked off a 1:55.2. A 1.4s PB compared to my last time at the track. I am very confident that this is the fastest lap time a 3v mustang on a 200tw tire has EVER put down at Buttonwillow raceway park. Perhaps the fastest 3v lap at BRP on any tire. First in class in time attack, third fastest lap of the day despite being literal hundreds of horsepower down from the competition. The only people who beat me were fellow TMO'ers @67GTA and @flyhalf, so, I would say I was in the company of royalty!

What's next for the car? Well, tmo legend @Tri-bar is helping me take this mustang from what was a pseudo street car and moving the scale towards "full race car". My goal is to join NASA TT3 and start resetting their lap records, and compete in nationals if/when they decide to come back to a CA track. Weight reduction, new aero, and some new suspension are in the books. Stay tuned but in the meantime, enjoy these pics of some awesome S-197's.

View attachment 92891View attachment 92892

View attachment 92894
ONLY 24 heat cycles....sheesh.
You're going fast man, much respect.

Building a great race car is all about investing experience, money and luck of the draw...........just like football....coaches get fired every year,.not because they lacked a good game plan, but because they lacked the good players to make that game plan work............just ask a Bradyless Belechik.....................

It's been a while since I've been here!

Changes to the car: tires

After only 24 heat cycles, I chorded my 295/35/18 RE71RS tires. They were a huge step up in grip compared to the continentals, but boy did it sting to see a chord after such a short amount of time. 24 heat cycles. Ouch. With that in mind, I knew I loved the pace of the RE71RS, but disliked the lack of life. So in my research I came across the revised Nankang CR-S, which has been tested to be similar pace as the RE71RS, but 20-30% longer lasting. Grassroots motorsports has a great comparison article between these two tires. With that decided, I pulled the trigger on 315/30/18 CR-S, got them mounted up, and headed to Buttonwillow raceway park. And oh MAN did those Nankangs throw down!!!

We clocked off a 1:55.2. A 1.4s PB compared to my last time at the track. I am very confident that this is the fastest lap time a 3v mustang on a 200tw tire has EVER put down at Buttonwillow raceway park. Perhaps the fastest 3v lap at BRP on any tire. First in class in time attack, third fastest lap of the day despite being literal hundreds of horsepower down from the competition. The only people who beat me were fellow TMO'ers @67GTA and @flyhalf, so, I would say I was in the company of royalty!

What's next for the car? Well, tmo legend @Tri-bar is helping me take this mustang from what was a pseudo street car and moving the scale towards "full race car". My goal is to join NASA TT3 and start resetting their lap records, and compete in nationals if/when they decide to come back to a CA track. Weight reduction, new aero, and some new suspension are in the books. Stay tuned but in the meantime, enjoy these pics of some awesome S-197's.

View attachment 92891View attachment 92892

View attachment 92894
Only to happy to give a helping hand!

CA
ONLY 24 heat cycles....sheesh.
You're going fast man, much respect.
Thank you! Means a lot coming from you. I am excited but also scared to enter the Hoosier world, where I am told a set of A7's is useless after 10 heat cycles 😂

PS I need to pick up those rear brake caliper brackets + rotors from you at some point.

A set of sticker A7s and it would be a rocket
My hope (fingers crossed) is a fresh a7 will be 1.5-3s faster on a 2min course compared to the 200tw....

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Thank you! Means a lot coming from you. I am excited but also scared to enter the Hoosier world, where I am told a set of A7's is useless after 10 heat cycles 😂

PS I need to pick up those rear brake caliper brackets + rotors from you at some point.

My hope (fingers crossed) is a fresh a7 will be 1.5-3s faster on a 2min course compared to the 200tw....
I toss them at 4 heat cycles, but at $2100/set I might try to get a little more out of them this year.
I just threw out about 15 sets with great thread depth, it was starting to look like a tire shop around here.
Too bad hardly anyone uses my size I could feed them a lot of good rubber cheap!

CA
I toss them at 4 heat cycles, but at $2100/set I might try to get a little more out of them this year.
I just threw out about 15 sets with great thread depth, it was starting to look like a tire shop around here.
Too bad hardly anyone uses my size I could feed them a lot of good rubber cheap!
What size do you run? Maybe I can take your leftovers. I have heard others say that they usually get slow after 4 HC.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
What size do you run? Maybe I can take your leftovers. I have heard others say that they usually get slow after 4 HC.
335/30/18

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Is that on an 11" or 12" wheel?
12"...should be on a 13" wheel but who can afford $4500/set for wheels? Not this guy.
I currently have 4 sets...that would cost more than my whole car.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
12"...should be on a 13" wheel but who can afford $4500/set for wheels? Not this guy.
I currently have 4 sets...that would cost more than my whole car.
Scratch that, they've gone up quite a bit since last I looked. Make that$6000.00/Set.

Screenshot 2024-02-09 093921.png

CA
After a rough weekend at Buttonwillow raceway due to a misaligned splitter and a poor alignment, I was able to get some redemption at Sonoma Raceway with NASA.

A 2.1s PB was achieved, as well as an unofficial lap record; In the last session of the day, I gridded first (had slowwwww traffic all day) and hit a 1:47.8. It was by no means a perfect lap, likely left a second or so on the table. Despite that, this is the fastest street tire lap time ever recorded for a 3v mustang at Sonoma Raceway from my findings. I am told the spec mustang record here (using BFG slicks) is a 1:46.00. So, I am not far off once I clean up the lap, and will likely be well ahead of them once I transition to Hoosiers to compete in NASA. To podium in my class in NASA, I will need to be running in the 1:42 - 1:43 range. Quite a bit of time to make up, but I have some more items coming for the car, and with more seat time, I think I can get there. Very happy with the car!

1712617739093.png

A great weekend!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
After a rough weekend at Buttonwillow raceway due to a misaligned splitter and a poor alignment, I was able to get some redemption at Sonoma Raceway with NASA.

A 2.1s PB was achieved, as well as an unofficial lap record; In the last session of the day, I gridded first (had slowwwww traffic all day) and hit a 1:47.8. It was by no means a perfect lap, likely left a second or so on the table. Despite that, this is the fastest street tire lap time ever recorded for a 3v mustang at Sonoma Raceway from my findings. I am told the spec mustang record here (using BFG slicks) is a 1:46.00. So, I am not far off once I clean up the lap, and will likely be well ahead of them once I transition to Hoosiers to compete in NASA. To podium in my class in NASA, I will need to be running in the 1:42 - 1:43 range. Quite a bit of time to make up, but I have some more items coming for the car, and with more seat time, I think I can get there. Very happy with the car!

View attachment 94475

A great weekend!
Ripping fast!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I met @SMGDHG last weekend for the first time. Smart young man, no surprise he is doing so well.
Its always nice when I get to meet fellow TMOers face to face, so far every one of you has been a pleasure know.
:)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel