The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

C8 Z06 engine issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
The interesting thing to me was that his dealer went out of their way with Chevy's help to have his car back on the road in two weeks. I have not seen that kind of support from Ford.

The C8.R and the new GT3 release run a de-tuned version of the street FPC engine.

I would hold judgement on the Chevy FPC. Almost every Z06 first year car has had some sort of engine quality control issue resulting in some engine failures (which is why you at least wait to purchase a end of run second year car). The Chevy engine is a clean sheet FPC and is a better design than the Ford FPC which seems to have held up well in race conditions (the Ford, not so much).

To be honest, the Ford FPC is a piece of Sh*t. It is nothing more than a CPC converted to FPC with a bunch of band-aids - which is probably why I don't have a single friend who regularly tracked their Shelby that is not on at least their second engine. The ones who have kept their Shelby and continue to track it started swapping to 5.2L CPC engines. From personal observation, I have seen more blown 5.2L FPC crank engines (cracked blocks, broken crankshafts, shattered oil pump gears, etcetera) than all other 5.0L CPC engines going back to 2012.

The C8.R and the new GT3 release run a de-tuned version of the street FPC engine.

I would hold judgement on the Chevy FPC. Almost every Z06 first year car has had some sort of engine quality control issue resulting in some engine failures (which is why you at least wait to purchase a end of run second year car). The Chevy engine is a clean sheet FPC and is a better design than the Ford FPC which seems to have held up well in race conditions (the Ford, not so much).

To be honest, the Ford FPC is a piece of Sh*t. It is nothing more than a CPC converted to FPC with a bunch of band-aids - which is probably why I don't have a single friend who regularly tracked their Shelby that is not on at least their second engine. The ones who have kept their Shelby and continue to track it started swapping to 5.2L CPC engines. From personal observation, I have seen more blown 5.2L FPC crank engines (cracked blocks, broken crankshafts, shattered oil pump gears, etcetera) than all other 5.0L CPC engines going back to 2012.
Pretty nuch true, Kphr helped develop the 5.2 "aftermaket" engine BTW.
That C8 is not so great all the way around, it will need a few years to fix the issues. one of them is that if you get tapped in the rear, and it doesn't take much, enough to crack the frame, especially where the attenuator is atached, they want to write the car off because no one can fix the frame. I say no one, because a fab shop like Phoenix could easily fix it, but are not allowed to. Ny neighbor just did exactly this to hi ne wvette. He's alwasy wanted one, finally got on and because some douche wasn't paying nay attention he has a big expensive lump on his hands.
The GT car is also a PITA to work on, you have to pull body panels to get to anything of value in the interior or around the front of the car.

Last edited:
Yea, I would not want to work on one. I have done some service work on Porsche's to help some friends save some money and to do basic service we had to pull belly pans, fender liners, interior panels, etcetera to change plugs, oil, air filter, and belts. I wouldn't expect the C8 to be any better.

I understand the concern with crash repair. Only about half of the collision repair centers in my area are certified to repair aluminum body panels (i.e. newer Ford F-250s, some mustang panels, Lincoln Aviator panels, etcetera). I can only imagine how long it will take for people to get the needed skills and shop certifications to repair a C8 frame.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
they want to write the car off because no one can fix the frame. I say no one, because a fab shop like Phoenix could easily fix it, but are not allowed to.
Kinda like the number of Lotus Elises running around on salvage titles because insurance companies wrote them off for minor damage to the bonded monocoque, then the owners got them fixed on their own dime (or the payout).

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel