The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Calimer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I got my MT-82 Stage 2 installed this weekend. It looks nice, but the cheap paint just peeled of when I cleaned it with an air gun compressor. Anyway I installed it along with a Spec Stage 1 Clutch, Aluminium Flywheel and the recommended Amsoil 75w-90 fluid. The Tranny shifts perfect! Really a night and day difference compared to OE. BUT it got very loud gear whine from 1-4 gear. In 5th and 6th its perfectly silent. From inside the car with windows up, It is almost as loud as my Borla S-Type catback! I thought a Calimer MT-82 STAGE 2 should be silent!?
Has anyone experienced the same with a stage 2 or is it just setted up wrong? like too much or too less bearing preload or something?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I got my MT-82 Stage 2 installed this weekend. It looks nice, but the cheap paint just peeled of when I cleaned it with an air gun compressor. Anyway I installed it along with a Spec Stage 1 Clutch, Aluminium Flywheel and the recommended Amsoil 75w-90 fluid. The Tranny shifts perfect! Really a night and day difference compared to OE. BUT it got very loud gear whine from 1-4 gear. In 5th and 6th its perfectly silent. From inside the car with windows up, It is almost as loud as my Borla S-Type catback! I thought a Calimer MT-82 STAGE 2 should be silent!?
Has anyone experienced the same with a stage 2 or is it just setted up wrong? like too much or too less bearing preload or something?
I put my stage 2 in about 2 months ago. It had a little whine before the rebuild, but is silent now. I am using the recommended Amsoil 75w90 that Ben sent with it, a lightened chromoly flywheel and a Mantic twin disc.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
My Calimer stage 2 self destructed on the street after 1,000 easy street miles for break in and 1 track day. 4th gear shattered and took everything out with it. There is basically no warranty and I am out the $2,500. Calimer did offer to discount a stage 3 build by $500, but after this experience I don't want a repeat. I asked repeatedly for pictures of the damage and after almost 2 weeks I was sent a single picture of the input shaft splines that didn't really show anything. I am currently waiting on parts for a Magnum XL swap.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Were you able to resolve the gear whine issue? I am curious as to what may have caused or cured it?

My Calimer stage 2 self destructed on the street after 1,000 easy street miles for break in and 1 track day. 4th gear shattered and took everything out with it. There is basically no warranty and I am out the $2,500. Calimer did offer to discount a stage 3 build by $500, but after this experience I don't want a repeat. I asked repeatedly for pictures of the damage and after almost 2 weeks I was sent a single picture of the input shaft splines that didn't really show anything. I am currently waiting on parts for a Magnum XL swap.
Sorry man! There seem to be quite a few people who have blown their calimer rebuilds not long after install. Combine that with him recommending oil that fried his own gearboxes, pretty disappointing. There’s a guy on M6G who’s rebuilding his own after hearing too many stories like this. Wonder how it will go.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Sorry man! There seem to be quite a few people who have blown their calimer rebuilds not long after install. Combine that with him recommending oil that fried his own gearboxes, pretty disappointing. There’s a guy on M6G who’s rebuilding his own after hearing too many stories like this. Wonder how it will go.
The sad thing is mine was working perfectly when I took it out for a clutch replacement. I sent it to him based on reputation as a precaution due to age/mileage. He commented on how good it looked when he tore it down and that there wasn't any gear damage. In hindsight I should have replaced the clutch and left the transmission alone until I had problems. I am sure it would have made it more than 1200 miles that the stage 2 lasted. My car is dual use, naturally aspirated and just under 450 rwhp. I don't even run slicks only 275 wide DOT tires. I could see if I had a power adder or was running slicks or something. Well live and learn. Tremec Magnum xl is ordered and will go in as soon as I get it.

There stuff is junk.I had two bad ones in a row.Never even made it out of the driveway with the first one.I ended up rebuilding the second one and it's been great. When I tore the second one down it even had dirt in the case.What a joke and they don't care one bit.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
There stuff is junk.I had two bad ones in a row.Never even made it out of the driveway with the first one.I ended up rebuilding the second one and it's been great. When I tore the second one down it even had dirt in the case.What a joke and they don't care one bit.
I found very few negatives when researching them before I sent them my original trans for the build. Some of the big name shops sing their praises. I don't think everything they build is junk or we would hear about it more. Once in awhile something goes horribly wrong and when it does they start pointing fingers at everyone else. They blame the clutch (even if it is one they sell), the driver, or the fluid. I used the fluid they sent and followed the 1,000 mile break in that they recommended. I even drained the fluid at 1,000 miles through a strainer making sure it was clean and refilled with new Amsoil 75W90 GL4 oil. They do not take any responsibility for their product once it is installed. They really don't care if their stuff blows up right away. They want to sell you another build. I was told if it worked when it was first installed than it was something I did and it wasn't anything they did. I just want other people to be aware that if something goes wrong with one of their builds there is no support from them.

Find someone local to you there has to be a shop that will rebuild a manual trans there seriously not that hard to rebuild. Research and by the parts your self then take it to someone that has a good reputation close to you. I think that’s your best bet.

Not to say anything bad about Ben and what those guys are doing over there, but yeah-the parts kits are readily available, and it’s like taking things out of a tube; put it back in the order you removed it. It’s big and scary to most people, but shouldn’t be.

if you simply don’t want to deal with the headache, it’s completely ok to pay someone to do it.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Scottsdale
Has anyone tried Lashbrook Performance Transmission in OK? They charge a $500 build fee plus parts and do what ever you want. Seems like a reasonable price and they guys seem to know the Fords. I checked around and can not see anything bad about them.

Were you able to resolve the gear whine issue? I am curious as to what may have caused or cured itU
Unfortunatly not. After 12.000 miles it is still loud. Maybe it quietens a tiny bit, but not much. I'm planning for the Winter season to get one from a junkyard and swap it in. Then i can open and inspect the Calimer Stage 2.

Has anyone tried Lashbrook Performance Transmission in OK? They charge a $500 build fee plus parts and do what ever you want. Seems like a reasonable price and they guys seem to know the Fords. I checked around and can not see anything bad about them.

A few guys from a Facebook group I'm in have given positive reviews of them, but no personal experience.

Monaca Pa
My stage 2 has the same problems as when I gave it to them. And I have no idea why they paint it with that shiznit. silver paint :mad: I threw $2500 away. 💸💸

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Have a Calimer stage 3 Mt82 and had a stage one before that. the stage 3 is noisey but thats the price you pay for the tougher gears. Not quite like a square cut but getting close. The Calimer stage 3 runs about 100 degrees C cooler then a regular MT82 because of that!! So if you track the car, you dont even notice the sound. If you cant stand it, put the clutch in......

They don't respond much to emails so you have to call them. When you get Ben on the phone, I have found him to be helpful and willing to help out.

Very happy with both of them, though the stage three is my favorite. I have three seasons on my stage 3 and only needed new syncros on third recently. But the local shop bunged that job up and now have to take it in to a decent shop again since I have problems with reverse, 2nd, third and fourth. But thats not a Calimer issue

My car has 500rwhp and 430 rwft/lbs and is regularly tracked in W2W racing. So a regular MT82 wouldnt make it through a season.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Have a Calimer stage 3 Mt82 and had a stage one before that. the stage 3 is noisey but thats the price you pay for the tougher gears. Not quite like a square cut but getting close. The Calimer stage 3 runs about 100 degrees C cooler then a regular MT82 because of that!! So if you track the car, you dont even notice the sound. If you cant stand it, put the clutch in......

They don't respond much to emails so you have to call them. When you get Ben on the phone, I have found him to be helpful and willing to help out.

Very happy with both of them, though the stage three is my favorite. I have three seasons on my stage 3 and only needed new syncros on third recently. But the local shop bunged that job up and now have to take it in to a decent shop again since I have problems with reverse, 2nd, third and fourth. But thats not a Calimer issue

My car has 500rwhp and 430 rwft/lbs and is regularly tracked in W2W racing. So a regular MT82 wouldnt make it through a season.
You had a better experience with your Calimer transmission than some of us. They said for my HP 447rwhp) and use a stage 3 was not necessary. When the stage 2 failed miserably just after break in they said I really need a stage 3 with the 26 spline input shaft. If they told me that in March I would have paid for it. After this I don't trust the quality of their work. Besides I can swap to the magnum xl for a couple hundred more than they want to rebuild my MT82 again and it at least has some kind of warranty.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
To be honest, looking at the price diference now, I think a XL would be a good choice. But remember it means a new clutch and drive shaft as well. So your looking at approx US$6000 for the swap, if you do it yourself......

I have several MT82s so I will probably just keep rebuilding them... though to be honest, I lost track of how many times the dam tranny has been in and out of the car!

TMO Supporting Vendors