The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cam Upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
California
Hey guys I am currently going to upgrade my cams to either the Detroit rockers/Ford hot rods and was wondering if anyone recommend changing out my rocker arm and lash adjusters just for maintenance because my car has a lot of mileage on them 130+ and I’ve kept up with the maintenance on ever since I got the car but I’ve seen some people in forms Sharing their horror stories of breaking the rocker arms and valves coming in to contact with pistons breaking their entire engine. Kind of a noob comes to this kind of stuff sorry!

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Hey guys I am currently going to upgrade my cams to either the Detroit rockers/Ford hot rods and was wondering if anyone recommend changing out my rocker arm and lash adjusters just for maintenance because my car has a lot of mileage on them 130+ and I’ve kept up with the maintenance on ever since I got the car but I’ve seen some people in forms Sharing their horror stories of breaking the rocker arms and valves coming in to contact with pistons breaking their entire engine. Kind of a noob comes to this kind of stuff sorry!
A couple things before putting cams in a 130k mile engine. Do a compression test first before buying anything. If compression is good then proceed, if no, do a leak down test to try and isolate the issue. If good then buy your cams, finger followers (rockers) and new lash adjusters. I would also do the valvesprings, retainers and keepers while I had the cams out. Being new to this type of work, try and find a friend who has done this type of work, get the Ford manuals and watch as many you tube videos as you can find. There are good videos and cowboy videos out there, anyone who isn't following the shop manual procedures is a Cowboy. There are tricks but not following the shop procedures and sequence is asking for some very expensive issues. Good luck and take your time. If you have questions post them up.
Steve

What Steve said.......get the Ford manual. Just installed everything on a new shortblock with no experience and the manual walks you through it step by step. The videos give you the visuals, but the manual gives you the details that are important. Use both.

TMO Supporting Vendors