The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Can you explain what went wrong?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I sometimes watch track crash videos so I learn.

Can you share your thoughts about this crash?

http://youtu.be/OYCD3vBLqAc

Rick, I suggest you create a new sub forum that is specialized in discussing track crashes and near miss videos and let the expert drivers on this forum add their input so it becomes an educational tool for all of us.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I have a few hundred laps around the Nurburgring. It is a very tricky course and takes years and hundreds of laps to master. One big rule about the ring is don't push it in the wet. It is the most driven race track in the world and because of this there is a nice coat of rubber on the surface. It is super grippy when its dry but put any amount of water on it and it's like ice…especially if you are on summer tires.

His brake lights come on as soon as the car starts to oversteer…bad mistake but made by so many. Stay on the throttle and slowly ease out of it or this will happen. Just my 2 cents.

Adam

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
In a nutshell: Hands too slow and novice/wrong instincts.

Breaking it down:
Initiating slide (not sure why either coming in too fast or too much throttle)
Not ready to counter steer
Not enough counter steer
Brakes in slide = no no here. Brakes and maybe hitting the curb cause the over correction.
Didn't unwind steering fast enough or at all to save there (not initiate 2nd slide)
Didn't unwind to counter steer or did not know to counter and save from 2nd slide
Turn into curb
Bam!

13Boss#3328 said:
Rick, I suggest you create a new sub forum that is specialized in discussing track crashes and near miss videos and let the expert drivers on this forum add their input so it becomes an educational tool for all of us.
We do it's called the Racing Forum and where this is moved to. ;)

He actually curbed it twice, the first time .15 into the video it was all correcting and over correcting thing from there. Go frame by frame and you'll see his initial mistake.

Fomoco302

Life is short. Live well!
It's open to the public. Pay your money and go as fast as your attachments will allow. I don't believe there's any safety equipment required, other than maybe seat belts.

Fomoco302 said:
It's open to the public. Pay your money and go as fast as your attachments will allow. I don't believe there's any safety equipment required, other than maybe seat belts.
Oh cool. I'm guessing the fatality rate's a little higher than on our tracks in the US, but hey Darwinism at it's best lol.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
He's driving on an open to the public track day. The same rules that apply to a vehicle driving on the road apply on the Nurburgring. The difference is the annual vehicle inspections in Germany are much more thorough and stringent. You don't see as many jalopies driving around on the road.

Fomoco302

Life is short. Live well!
This is also a country where they still have sections of the autobahn that have no speed limit. Besides the stricter vehicle inspections they also have lane discipline. Stay right unless passing.

Fomoco302 said:
This is also a country where they still have sections of the autobahn that have no speed limit. Besides the stricter vehicle inspections they also have lane discipline. Stay right unless passing.
Yea I drove some of those sections when I was younger. Thinking back on it driving in traffic at those speeds in street cars carried more risk than I thought about at the time. Most people drove with good lane discipline, but with the speed differentials it doesn't take much of a mistake to get into trouble.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
Fomoco302 said:

You absolutely don't drive in the left hand lane unless passing or you will have a Mercedes come out of no where and be on your butt in no time! I was stationed there from 2000-2003 and by then 70% of the Autobahn had speed limits and traffic was usually a mess as well.

TMO Supporting Vendors