The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Can't Fill Up My Tank?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Seems to continue to be an issue , at least through 197s, partly from the goofy saddle tank and also venting. Have had problems filling up the Boss S and one gentleman sent me a possible fix ,which my fabricator worked on and it improved the fill. Hopefully he may see this thread and repeat as I can not find my notes on this.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
I know this is an OLD thread but is there a fix to this? I tried to fill up my '07 for the first time today and it would only take 7 gallons.

It could be the vent or it could be that all the gas is on the drivers side. Its happened to me a few times. Messing around on the street then go to get gas. Not much goes in. Go back out. Make some hard lefts to push the gas to the pass side and then refill. Its annoying but that's it. I don't have a vent problem. I have a lat g problem :)

I am having the same problem with my 2013 Boss 302 only, it can't take more than .3 or .4 gallons at a time. The vent tube was found to be melted, but it was replaced and didn't solve the problem. I have tried turning the nozzle upside down but it still doesn't fill. The filler neck is being replaced this week and I'm hoping this will solve the problem.

Any other solutions?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
The filler neck is being replaced this week and I'm hoping this will solve the problem.

IIRC there is a small rubber or plastic section of the filler neck above the rear axle on the left side that gets very close to the over the axle exhaust pipe on lowered S197 Mustangs. Especially with 3.0” exhaust pipes. Some exhaust kits come with a heat shield sleeve for this section of the filler tube.

This might very well fix your problem.

Good luck on the fix.

Mine is also slow, I suspect that it is the in between lines that run between both tanks, and also, possibly the vent lines. As an example, in my old 99, I eventually had to replace the 17 year old stock lines that had collapsed with some decent fuel line. I suspect at some point, I'll be doing the same in my 07. In the mean time, I just fill it slower than usual so it can "burp".

UPDATE:
So the shop replaced the fuel filler neck, a vent tube that was melted, and it still wouldn't fill up. So we figured the problem had to be in the tank with the flapper door that keeps the fuel from coming out in a roll-over event. So the tech disconnected the neck again and tried to push the door. Well apparently the tank is completely FULL of fuel. So it isn't a problem with any of the tubing hardware, the fuel sender is apparently bad.

So for my track event this Friday I will have to do some math in order to keep track of fuel. Now the other issue could be that fuel is getting to one side of the saddle tank and not the other and that is why the fuel reading is low. Is the fuel level sender on the passenger side of the tank? Is this kind of scenario even possible?

Had issues filling up my boss back in 2016 after a two day thill weekend where temps were in the high 90s, low 100s. Took almost 20m to fill up before heading home. Turns out the plastic evap (?) line that runs next to the exhaust where it goes over the rear axle, had melted. After having it replaced at the dealership, I wrapped it in tons of extra heat shielding to try to keep insulated from the exhaust heat. Haven't had issues since, but I also haven't done a ton of trackdays in the last few years, and definitely haven't done any super hot days like the one that caused this.

Really sucks, since being in California, no indy shops are willing to touch this system for fear of the EPA coming down on them. Seems to me that the best permanent fix for this (besides deleting...) would be to replace those plastic hoses with something that won't melt.

Attached a shot of the melted line.

IMG_20160925_113809.jpg

FWIW I had this discussion with the guys at Kohr about my 07 Gt500. Dean said that I must have an early 07 since they figured out the problem, changed the frame rail and redesigned the fuel intake around January 07.
Soo.. his recommendation was to just turn the fuel nozzle upside down and the issue would be much less, or possibly find an 08 fuel inlet and cut the end off, and replace the 07 inlet with it.. that might help the issue, providing all the vent lines and whatever are not flat.
Other than that, I'm not sure what to say, or how the Boss mustangs are affected.

FWIW I had this discussion with the guys at Kohr about my 07 Gt500. Dean said that I must have an early 07 since they figured out the problem, changed the frame rail and redesigned the fuel intake around January 07.
Soo.. his recommendation was to just turn the fuel nozzle upside down and the issue would be much less, or possibly find an 08 fuel inlet and cut the end off, and replace the 07 inlet with it.. that might help the issue, providing all the vent lines and whatever are not flat.
Other than that, I'm not sure what to say, or how the Boss mustangs are affected.

Thanks for the heads up. I think the fuel nozzle trick did help a bit. Was getting a lot of disappoving looks and even had to explain to one guy who thought I was topping off after some gas spilled all over the ground. 😐

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
2012 Boss 302 with Silver Ceramic Coated Kooks Shorty Headers, OEM Cats, 3.0” SS Magna Flow X-Pipe cat Back System and Kooks 2.0” open side pipes.

Fortunately, nothing melted yet, so she takes on fuel without any issues. I do have a heat shield on the fuel filler rubber coupler.

This evening I get to the local Shell Station & find a note on each of the pumps. 93 Octane Only @ Reg. Fuel prices. Paid 2.19/gal.for V-Power 93.

Sweet.

Had issues filling up my boss back in 2016 after a two day thill weekend where temps were in the high 90s, low 100s. Took almost 20m to fill up before heading home. Turns out the plastic evap (?) line that runs next to the exhaust where it goes over the rear axle, had melted. After having it replaced at the dealership, I wrapped it in tons of extra heat shielding to try to keep insulated from the exhaust heat. Haven't had issues since, but I also haven't done a ton of trackdays in the last few years, and definitely haven't done any super hot days like the one that caused this.

Really sucks, since being in California, no indy shops are willing to touch this system for fear of the EPA coming down on them. Seems to me that the best permanent fix for this (besides deleting...) would be to replace those plastic hoses with something that won't melt.

Attached a shot of the melted line.

View attachment 58289

Literally melted the same exact line and mine wouldn't fill either. I'd recommend cutting this out and replacing just that section with line as the whole assembly isn't exactly the cheapest piece.

Literally melted the same exact line and mine wouldn't fill either. I'd recommend cutting this out and replacing just that section with line as the whole assembly isn't exactly the cheapest piece.

Is just that section purchasable on its own? IIRC that assembly was the smallest purchasable part? Or were you able to fab something up? I have zero fab skills or tools, unfortunately.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel