The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cheap, reliable track car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I’m now without a sports car, sold my 2006 GT last summer. Thought was hopefully sell it when the market is high should come down summer 2022... well I was wrong on that one.

Since then I’ve decided to move in 1-2yrs so major car purchases are off the table for 2-3 years (Mach 1 probably) but I still have the itch for autox and some track days

Everyone says Miata is the answer, cheap to run and easy to sell etc, but I don’t know. With SN95’s hitting some low prices (half of a Miata) and they are reliable why are more people not doing this? Am I crazy?

94/95 or a 96-98 PI swap, with PHB, Coilovers, CC plates some sticky tires and rear end gears should these be pretty dam quick for cheap? Add some cobra brakes and brake ducts should be good for the track. All for around 8-10k

or is this a bad idea?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Having run Miatas in both autocross and road racing with decent success I can reiterate that it actually is a reasonably priced track machine, very reliable and solid for the track. You will need a rollbar for HPDE/Time Trials/etc. but that is not an issue for autocrosses. The one thing it will teach you is that every car is a momentum car, and I am a very firm believer owning one and learning to keep it on full song, will help you immensely when you get back in a Mustang. You will drive the Mustang differently and you will likely find yourself much faster than you were before.

I would get a 05-09 V6 car and do a base coyote swap. There is one on Facebook marketplace for $9000 right now.
Suspension parts are cheap second hand. Lots of V6 cars for $2000-3000 on market place.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Another vote for the Miata. The SN95 retains the funky triangulated 4-link bind-o-matic suspension, right? The Miata is dual-wishbone at all 4 corners. The Miata comes with Mazda Motorport parts discount & contingencies, even for autocross and HPDE.

In your neck of the woods (as in New England), Mustangs are typically daily drivers, but Miatas are often weekend-only / summer cars, so they don't see the winter road salt and mileage, and may be better cared for, at least by the original owner. That said, the NA (90-93 1.6 engine and 94-97 1.8) Miata is getting pretty old and many good ones have already been turned into Spec Miata cars. The current ND gen2 (2019+) is probably too new to find cheap on the used market, and the ND gen1 (2016-2018) suffers from gearbox issues. I believe the NC (06-15) uses a lot of suspension parts from the RX-8, but is the heaviest generation. For me, the NB (99-05) is the sweet spot, but a clean NA 1.8 (especially an R-package or the ABS- & Torsen-equipped M Edition) would also be good choice and is a bit lighter. Having owned and autocrossed both, the NA8 is defines "Miata" and the go-cart feel, while the NB is nicer to live with day-to-day and feels a little more upscale.

Take a look at classing rules where you're going to run. For SCCA, all the NA and NB years/models run in E Street; the NC and ND run in C Street. The ND2 rules CS; both the Miata and Toyota MR Spyder are competitive in ES at the national level. In Street Touring, if you have an open diff (or the viscous LSD in an NA6) you go to STS, and STR if you have a Torsen. The ND2 again ruled STR at SOLO Nats this year, but the NA6 with viscous LSD dominated the trophies in STS.

All that being said, take a look at the class turnout at your local events, as it's more fun to be somewhat competitive in a class with several cars than to have a nationally-competitive car and dominate a class of one. Personally, if I'm building a combination autocross/HPDE car for SCCA, I'd go with an NA8 or NB with Torsen, build something that's legal in both STR and Sport 6 Time Trial, and drive the snot out of it. :hellyeah:

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
On a really good day my 750hp, coilover equipped, 305 cross section tired S550 can barely keep up with the ES Miatas in our local autocrosses. It's definitely a different ride, but as others have said, you'll learn to be a smooth driver. Unfortunately I've never been able to drive one. I've been offered the chance numerous times, but I don't fit. There is no way my knee fits between the steering wheel and the door, and the top of the windshield is right at eye level. Make sure you don't run into the same problem before you start spending time and effort looking for one.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
Another vote for the Miata. The SN95 retains the funky triangulated 4-link bind-o-matic suspension, right? The Miata is dual-wishbone at all 4 corners. The Miata comes with Mazda Motorport parts discount & contingencies, even for autocross and HPDE.

In your neck of the woods (as in New England), Mustangs are typically daily drivers, but Miatas are often weekend-only / summer cars, so they don't see the winter road salt and mileage, and may be better cared for, at least by the original owner. That said, the NA (90-93 1.6 engine and 94-97 1.8) Miata is getting pretty old and many good ones have already been turned into Spec Miata cars. The current ND gen2 (2019+) is probably too new to find cheap on the used market, and the ND gen1 (2016-2018) suffers from gearbox issues. I believe the NC (06-15) uses a lot of suspension parts from the RX-8, but is the heaviest generation. For me, the NB (99-05) is the sweet spot, but a clean NA 1.8 (especially an R-package or the ABS- & Torsen-equipped M Edition) would also be good choice and is a bit lighter. Having owned and autocrossed both, the NA8 is defines "Miata" and the go-cart feel, while the NB is nicer to live with day-to-day and feels a little more upscale.

Take a look at classing rules where you're going to run. For SCCA, all the NA and NB years/models run in E Street; the NC and ND run in C Street. The ND2 rules CS; both the Miata and Toyota MR Spyder are competitive in ES at the national level. In Street Touring, if you have an open diff (or the viscous LSD in an NA6) you go to STS, and STR if you have a Torsen. The ND2 again ruled STR at SOLO Nats this year, but the NA6 with viscous LSD dominated the trophies in STS.

All that being said, take a look at the class turnout at your local events, as it's more fun to be somewhat competitive in a class with several cars than to have a nationally-competitive car and dominate a class of one. Personally, if I'm building a combination autocross/HPDE car for SCCA, I'd go with an NA8 or NB with Torsen, build something that's legal in both STR and Sport 6 Time Trial, and drive the snot out of it. :hellyeah:

All this, spot on Dave. I owned and tracked an NB Mazdaspeed, best handling I've driven, but of course can't keep up on faster tracks. For the OP, if you're autocrossing at least 75% with the rest open track days, Miata is still it, and cheap on startup, easy on tires, brakes, parts and maybe insurance? I would definitely get a rollbar (Hard Dog, etc) for safety. I bought a hardtop which looks even better IMO

x11 on Miatae. My shop works on a ton of them.

Like everything, they are priced high right now, but they are generally always the answer. Very easy to work on. Parts are cheap and they are very reliable. A stock suspension Miata with shocks, good alignment and some wheels/tires is a pretty good car. Once track prepped, consumables are dirt cheap.

DaveW

I have a spec Miata but for a cheap track car and being a mustang guy I would do a 05-09 Mustang over any SN-95 chassis.
I was running a 95 Cobra R Steeda Q back in T1 and my stock 05 GT kicked the crap out of it.
The chassis stiffness, layout 3 link are all far and above anything you can do to an earlier car.
Also it is infinitely upgradable for cheap as used parts are all over FaceBook marketplace, forums, Craigslist etc.
if you pop a motor you can drop in a stock coyote.
14” Brembo’s are under $500 new from Oreilley or Rock Auto.
Just availability of used parts is just amazing.

MD
A golf/rabbit or focus/fiesta seems like a good candidate for a cheap/reliable car to drive to/from track day events. Tires, spares, and gear go in the car bc they have cargo space and a roof. It has shelter for hot or rainy days and doubles as a regular car if needed. Good condition manual trans versions are out there and they were mostly unmolested commuter cars. Consumables are inexpensive and each of these cars had performance variants so upgrades are available. OE Brembos from Porsche and Ford bolt on. $8-10k is a healthy budget for one of these cars.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
The Fiesta ST is very competitive in SCCA H Street class. I have one as a daily commuter and autocrossed it a few times. Fun little car, but being FWD it takes a different setup and driving style vs. a RWD car. Sad that Ford dropped it from the lineup, I'd definitely buy another one.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
On a really good day my 750hp, coilover equipped, 305 cross section tired S550 can barely keep up with the ES Miatas in our local autocrosses. It's definitely a different ride, but as others have said, you'll learn to be a smooth driver. Unfortunately I've never been able to drive one. I've been offered the chance numerous times, but I don't fit. There is no way my knee fits between the steering wheel and the door, and the top of the windshield is right at eye level. Make sure you don't run into the same problem before you start spending time and effort looking for one.

Everyone said Miata to me as well. And I sat in one and thought bullsnot. Can't fit. Bangs my knees and elbows and have to fall out to get out. May be fast but just not something I could be comfortable in as an occasional street car. I still look at them and dream, but it will not happen.

LOL!!! Because that is a car for open track and not parking lots. Power and big brakes are mostly unusable in auto cross. Small, light momentum cars rule auto cross.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Fortunately I an only 60 miles from the SCCA Solo Nationals site and whereas Miatas are quick and often giant killers, the monstrous slab of concrete we run on there is a huge equalizer. I always encourage folks with Mustangs , Camaros, Vettes, Porsches, Vipers, and more to try autocrossing, because it does help you hit your lines when you hit the circuits around the US of A!

There are numerous events at the Lincoln, Ne. site , so anyone interested in running there besides Nationals, you can hit around 8-9 events. Drivers often come from Kansas, Iowa, Missouri, South Dakota, and Nebraska to run because ............the courses are fast!!

TX

C5 z05
One counterpoint I'd add here - speed. A Corvette is likely to have a much worse accident than a Miata.

One of the things I've loved about getting more time in a Miata is that I can drive one on a race track at 10/10ths of my ability at virtually all times and the stakes are soooo much lower.

That said, the C5 is a great alternative for someone who wants speed and power. They also sound GREAT with a cam and some exhaust work.

TMO Supporting Vendors