The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clear bra on 2013 Boss?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm highly considering getting a clear bra installed on my '13 Boss but haven't been able to find pictures of it installed over the matte black reflective stripes.

Has anyone with a '13 Boss installed a clear bra over their stripes? If so, do you mind posting pictures? The other option would be to clear bra around the stripes, so if you have pictures of this, please post as well. Thanks!

Sydewaysix said:
I'm highly considering getting a clear bra installed on my '13 Boss but haven't been able to find pictures of it installed over the matte black reflective stripes.

Has anyone with a '13 Boss installed a clear bra over their stripes? If so, do you mind posting pictures? The other option would be to clear bra around the stripes, so if you have pictures of this, please post as well. Thanks!

Here ya go. Some may not like the way it looks, but I don't care, I'd rather preserve the paint on my hood. It is a bit less noticeable out in the direct sunlight.

In addition to front 10" or so of the hood and forward part of the front quarters, I have clear bra on the entire front bumper cover, headlight covers, lower front fenders and doors (below the stripes), and the lower rockers. I'd also recommend it on the roof A pillars.

Acres of clear bra is a must if you track your car. Even then you'll still get a few chips in the paint here and there where it's not covered. But it'd be a lot worse without it.

IMG_8815_zpsirr8w7js.png

IMG_8813_zpseksqzhqn.png

IMG_8817_zpsgpi9n4ko.png

IMG_8719_zpsumuqselv.png

IMG_8790_zpsdvehdqrt.png

There are matte finish films that have been released lately that will better emulate the matte finish of the Boss stripes. You'll need to find a good installer who can cut and merge the multitude of stripes into a seamless work of art.

thanks for the pictures @dabossinne . I think I might just get the clear bra cut around the stripes and leave them unprotected. My concern is that if/when the clear bra needs to be removed, it will pull the stripes off with it, making for a worse scenario than having slightly damaged/pitted stripes.

You're welcome!

Yep, thought about that and decided to just cover the whole stripe. I asked the installer about film removal and he said no problem taking it off without disturbing the stripes. Famous last words, right...?

In any case, it is at least a small risk that were it to happen, well, it's only money as they say.

There is a company local to me (Chandler, AZ) called Smart Shield....they use XPEL film and have a specific pattern for the 2013 Boss 302. The pattern is already cut to cover everything but the stripes....however, if you want the strips protected just cover them as well.

I have XPEL on both my 2012 Boss 302 and my 2013 Boss 302 and its an excellent product...has saved the front of both cars several times and its "self healing" to a point. I know that Smart Shield has shops all over the country, maybe you can find one close to you and give them a call. They use a computer cutter to cut out the patterns so they are very precise.

redkey1651 said:
There is a company local to me (Chandler, AZ) called Smart Shield....they use XPEL film and have a specific pattern for the 2013 Boss 302. The pattern is already cut to cover everything but the stripes....however, if you want the strips protected just cover them as well.

I have XPEL on both my 2012 Boss 302 and my 2013 Boss 302 and its an excellent product...has saved the front of both cars several times and its "self healing" to a point. I know that Smart Shield has shops all over the country, maybe you can find one close to you and give them a call. They use a computer cutter to cut out the patterns so they are very precise.

I just looked up Smart Shield and they only have two location, both in Arizona. Maybe I'll see if I can buy the pre-cut Xpel from them and have it installed. Thanks!

This is the part number and cost for the hood piece that has provisions for the hood stripe....Part Number: P0523BQ

Installation Difficulty Rating:
3 out of 5

Installed Price: $259.95 (USD)

The owners name of the shop in Chandler is Bob....quite sure he will help you out however he can !!

redkey1651 said:
This is the part number and cost for the hood piece that has provisions for the hood stripe....Part Number: P0523BQ

Installation Difficulty Rating:
3 out of 5

Installed Price: $259.95 (USD)

The owners name of the shop in Chandler is Bob....quite sure he will help you out however he can !!

Thanks for the p/n. I just looked it up and the description says its a kit for the hood, fender and mirrors. Do you know if there's a specific p/n for the bumper as well? If you have pictures of this kit installed on your car do you mind posting a few pictures? Thanks!

Google Smart Shield Chandler.....go to their website. Upper right hand corner is a drop down menu...click on "price online"....then you can put in year, make, model and sub model ....Boss 302... and it will show you black and white drawings of the patterns they have, part numbers and prices.

I don't have the full clear bra on my 13 Boss, just the bumper and mirrors...I have the entire front end done on
my 12 Boss.

Has anyone ever tried this stuff: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paint-Protection-Clear-Bra-Pre-Cut-Sheet-Film-Kit-for-Ford-Mustang-Boss302-13-14-/301694726640?hash=item463e6831f0:g:XDMAAOSwLVZVsDP0&vxp=mtr

I found this as I was browsing ebay for Boss 302 gear and thought it may be a cheap option to try and install myself. If install goes well, it could potentially save me hundreds of dollars! I looked on the seller's website and it says that they use 3M and Xpel material. Hopefully they respond to my ebay message to confirm what material this kit is made out of.

Bay Area
Sydewaysix said:
Has anyone ever tried this stuff: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paint-Protection-Clear-Bra-Pre-Cut-Sheet-Film-Kit-for-Ford-Mustang-Boss302-13-14-/301694726640?hash=item463e6831f0:g:XDMAAOSwLVZVsDP0&vxp=mtr

I found this as I was browsing ebay for Boss 302 gear and thought it may be a cheap option to try and install myself. If install goes well, it could potentially save me hundreds of dollars! I looked on the seller's website and it says that they use 3M and Xpel material. Hopefully they respond to my ebay message to confirm what material this kit is made out of.

I've wondered the same thing with this guy. If you do it keep us posted

byronj said:
I've wondered the same thing with this guy. If you do it keep us posted

The seller contacted me back and said the material used is unbranded/generic, though he's been selling these kits for over a year and has not heard of any issues from customers. May be worth a shot considering the price is pretty cheap, though I'm hesitant to put something on the Boss that may potentially ruin the paint in the long run.

TMO Supporting Vendors