The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Clutch Replacement

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I finally got around to beginning to swap out that noisy McLeod RST dual disc chatter box. One drawback to the Griggs Torque Arm is removing the driveshaft, but I'm just whining. Then I dropped the transmission, and realized I did not want to access my harmonic balancer to lock the engine in place (keep it from rotating backwards). So I called a buddy, who recommended a "flywheel locking tool". He said all the parts stores had them. Made sense to me, so off I went to Autozone, Advanced Auto and Napa. No one had something that would work for a Ford modular motor. One parts counter even said, "No body replaces their own clutch anymore, you should tow that thing to a shop". Idiots...

So I made my own flywheel locking thingy using 1/8" steel plate, 3" wide and 8" long. Looks horrible, but works.

Just wanted to share...Flywheel Locking Tool.jpg

Looks like a flywheel "turner". How does it lock the flywheel in place? Don't tell me to "hold it steady with one hand while turning the wrench with the other." I am NOT the most coordinated guy and I don't need another UH-OH moment...

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Looks like a flywheel "turner". How does it lock the flywheel in place? Don't tell me to "hold it steady with one hand while turning the wrench with the other." I am NOT the most coordinated guy and I don't need another UH-OH moment...
You got it, hold with one hand and pull with the other, however you did come up with a great the solution!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Aptos, CA
Well if you're not worried about trying to get bolts out that you didn't clear access with your tool, you'd still be R&R'ing it and rotating the flywheel to access those and lock it in place again. Or, you can find a buddy to help you. :) Please don't take this serious, it's not that hard to use.

So I finally got around to beginning to swap out that noisy McLeod RST dual disc chatter box. One drawback to the Griggs Torque Arm is removing the driveshaft, but I'm just whining. Then I dropped the transmission, and realized I did not want to access my harmonic balancer to lock the engine in place (keep it from rotating backwards). So I called a buddy, who recommended a "flywheel locking tool". He said all the parts stores had them. Made sense to me, so off I went to Autozone, Advanced Auto and Napa. No one had something that would work for a Ford modular motor. One parts counter even said, "No body replaces their own clutch anymore, you should tow that thing to a shop". Idiots...

So I made my own flywheel locking thingy using 1/8" steel plate, 3" wide and 8" long. Looks horrible, but works.

Just wanted to share...View attachment 69396
Well done
Necessity is a mother..
or something like that

Well, the old RST looks to have plenty of life left in her (er, them?), can't bring myself to throw it away. Probably has about 10k miles on her (er, them?) I guess I should post it in the classified section. Even with the lightened flywheel it's still a heavy package. Anybody in Northern Virginia that would like to check it out, PM me.

TMO Supporting Vendors