The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Code Orange GT500 Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
AND a lightning! Living the good life!
Ha, I have been on a roll in ordering/getting these hard to secure vehicles, thanks to my great local small town dealers. Had a new bronco too from last fall, that was traded in on the lightning.

Back on track, the GT500 is getting setup for SCCA TT , like my GT350 was. Even though it is bumped into the Max 1 class now, I am trying a limited prep build. Springs, bars, wheels, tires. There is a loophole that will let me run Sport Cup 2's if I run limited prep, so going to test that.

Build list:
BMR swaybars
BMR spring to be tested
CFTP springs to be tested
6gr 20x11.5 et43 rear wheels in square setup
Nankang CRS 305/20 and 325/20 to be tested

Re-used from my GT350
CMS harness bar and schroth harnesses
OP studs and spacers to run a square wheel setup

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
The 200TW nankang CRS (used to be CR1's) are good, but not super sticky. They feel like goodyear SC3's , not as grippy as falken RT660's. The OEM Ford performance spec SC2's I bet are faster, but less durable based on feedback from others I have talked to here.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Well we will find out how the SC2s run this coming weekend as I am going to use a new set for the SCCA Time Trials at Motorsport Park Hastings. Two weeks later ( Sept. 27-28 ) the Central Region of NASA will have an HPDE/Time Trial/Road Race at the same track ( racemph.com) and then I will switch to my " Gold Standard " Hoosier R7s. It will be interesting to see how the PSC2s hold up in the weather as it is predicted to be in the mid 90s and in years past I found the Cup 2s did not get as greasy as other tires when super hot, but like every competitive tire out there the compounds have changed. I will be running on newly paved asphalt and that should help. I do know the PSC2s did get greasy on hot days on concrete surfaces , but then so did everything else.

Now, of course, I will be galloping a Pony with a bit less HP than you two Snakecharmers!!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
I would love to try them some day to blitz the PBs. I have to stay in the SCCA TT 200TW rules for now. At least the harder tires seem to last a good ling while.

TMO Supporting Vendors