The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

coilover choice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys,

Im searching for the best choice of coilovers for me ...

Im looking at the ground control coilovers, kw v3, st xta coilovers and if there r others please mention.

i want coilovers that is good for autocross and will do good for drag if it can be . I will not be daily driving the car and i dnt want coilovers that are complicated to adjust cuz i will be the one to adjust them and im not a pro racer.

any recommendations would be appreciated and thanks !

eng90 said:
Hey guys,

Im looking at the ground control coilovers, kw v3, st xta coilovers and if there r others please mention.

i want coilovers that is good for autocross and will do good for drag if it can be . I will not be daily driving the car and i dnt want coilovers that are complicated to adjust cuz i will be the one to adjust them and im not a pro racer.

The KW V3's are true mono-tubes I believe. Ground control I think those are maybe less bling but tougher.

GC's look better too

I just had the CorteX JRI's installed. I waited almost a year for the single adjustables to become available because I wanted to keep it simple. You can get them with the offset front struts to give you more room for wider front wheels.

http://www.cortexracing.com/shop/cortex-jri-xtreme-grip-coil-system-single-adjustable-front-rear-2005-2014-mustang/

CorteX-JRI_Shocks-0011-500x437.jpg

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
NFSBOSS said:
I just had the CorteX JRI's installed. I waited almost a year for the single adjustables to become available because I wanted to keep it simple. You can get them with the offset front struts to give you more room for wider front wheels.

http://www.cortexracing.com/shop/cortex-jri-xtreme-grip-coil-system-single-adjustable-front-rear-2005-2014-mustang/

CorteX-JRI_Shocks-0011-500x437.jpg

Curious what these would add to the Extreme grip system price? Only option online is DA shocks

How about the spring rates .. do they have a variety or rates ??

i would like to put on rates that would make me have fun on drag, autocross and track race .

I have no idea about the rates of mustangs and the best rates for autocross or drag or track so plz if you have some info i would like to know .

Thanx

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
eng90 said:
those coilovers are really expensive compared to others .. r they worth it ?
Totally worth it in my opinion. However, for a dual purpose drag/auto-x car, how you'd choose to setup the car would depend on how much you want change to go from one to the other. Like tires, shock/strut settings, sway bars, etc. Also need to figure out where you'd be willing to compromise.

eng90 said:
How about the spring rates .. do they have a variety or rates ??

i would like to put on rates that would make me have fun on drag, autocross and track race .

I have no idea about the rates of mustangs and the best rates for autocross or drag or track so plz if you have some info i would like to know .

Thanx

They can get any spring rate you want or need in at least 25 lb. increments.

I think spring rates will depend on where you want the car to perform best, and what tires you're using for either.

To some extent, it would also help to know what your driver preferences are. Like for drag, do you like a car that 'squats' or can you launch it with a lot of anti-squat dialed in? Can you drive a car that oversteers? Are you willing to adjust or disconnect sway bars for drag? How comfortable do you want it for the street?

Just examples of questions I'd expect somebody to ask before helping you setup the car.

IMO, for what you're looking for, I think Koni yellow's with some stiffer springs will do the trick. Not sure if you're going to use the full capabilities of those pricey coilover setups. Also kuwait has crazy speed bumps, so think about ride height as well, you can't go very low!! specially if you have trans scoop and front splitter.

twistedneck said:
The KW V3's are true mono-tubes I believe. Ground control I think those are maybe less bling but tougher.

GC's look better too

eng90 said:
Hey guys,

Kw's v3s are easy to adjust reboud, tough to adjust compression. Also, they're twin-tube shocks. If you want Monotubes, cheapest entry into market will be something like a Bilstein, but they're not offered in a coilover.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Vorshlag modifies Bilsteins in-house into coilovers; they don't show it offered on their website yet but they make these kits. Give them a call.

They also have a variety of other suspension options for the S197. I am expecting a set of MCS dampers from them sometime next week...

www.vorshlag.com

NFSBOSS said:
I have 450 F and 250 R. It rides stiffer but not harsh. The dampers were adjusted close to mid point in the adjustment range when delivered but you'll want to go closer to full soft for driving on the street. There's a wide range of adjustment on them.

I stepped up to 500 F and 300 R for the Cortex setup. I'm in Dearborn so i needed to go stiffer since our roads are so pristine :eek:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel