The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Coilovers or springs for daily driving

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys,

I wanna know if there are coilovers that i can put on my car which wont stick my car to the ground.

My car has arh long tubes with catted x. On daily driving i face speed bumps and road holes .

Im worndering if there are coilovers or spring that i can put which which can make me daily drive and go sideways over speed bumps slowly.

Honestly im really interested in going for the gc coilovers , they look amazing and ive heard alot of good things about them

IMHO, coilovers have two uses--stancing the car for hard parking and corner balancing a racecar. :p

If you don't want to slam your car, and you don't want to cornerbalance it for the track, then just get some aftermarket springs that get you the drop you want and call it a day.

As someone who has tried Steeda Ultralites (2102 Boss) and FRPP "P" springs (2013 LS) and who now is running KW V3 coilovers, I can tell you that spending extra for a good coilover is well worth it for several reasons. The adjustable ride height is nice, but the adjustable damping, particularly being able to increase rebound without a corresponding increase in compression, is what makes them worthwhile. The OE Boss dampers (both regular Boss and LS) do not have enough rebound until setting 5, but that setting causes a pretty unrefined and rough ride that gets the car too skittish for my tastes, at least when hammering down back roads. Aftermarket springs with their higher rates overpower the dampers and make them feel even worse in my opinion.

The other option is springs plus Konis or D-Specs. Cheaper than coilovers and most people seem very happy with them.

Im worries about underbody scraping. For sure i want coilovers to track race , but can i do coilovers and drive the car over bumpstops and small obstacles ?? I have long tube headres and thats why im asking

Thanks

Sure you can. You just have to check the coilover's height adjustability range. Just keep in mind that some coilovers may sit lower than the stock ride height in their max setting.

Sounds like you mostly street drive the car, so I'd go for a street shock/spring packade from MM or another reputable shop. No reason to spend extra on feature th won't need, unless you want to of course!

F.D. Sako said:
Sure you can. You just have to check the coilover's height adjustability range. Just keep in mind that some coilovers may sit lower than the stock ride height in their max setting.

Sounds like you mostly street drive the car, so I'd go for a street shock/spring packade from MM or another reputable shop. No reason to spend extra on feature th won't need, unless you want to of course!

Great advice...

eng90 said:
Hey guys,

I wanna know if there are coilovers that i can put on my car which wont stick my car to the ground.

My car has arh long tubes with catted x. On daily driving i face speed bumps and road holes .

Im worndering if there are coilovers or spring that i can put which which can make me daily drive and go sideways over speed bumps slowly.

Honestly im really interested in going for the gc coilovers , they look amazing and ive heard alot of good things about them

When I first started down the path of suspension mods on my own vehicle ground clearance was a huge concern of mine as well. To put this in to perspective and as silly as it sounds now considering what I have done to my car in terms of suspension mods, ground clearance concerns were the ONLY reason why I didn't pick up a BOSS instead of a GT. :-[

After driving the car in stock form for a few months I had all but enough of its water buffalo like handling characteristics and took the plunge to coilovers. Coming from an S2000 didn't help matters on my opinion of the mustangs stock handling, even with the sportier Brembo package so needles to say I was a bit spoiled from the start 8)

My point is this, I see you mentioned an interest in Ground Control. I myself went with Cortex but the housing used for the front dampers has a very similar range of height adjustment. I have attached a PIC of where I have my front coilovers set in terms of ride height and you can see that if I wanted to I could raise the car up quite a bit from where it sits now. The current ride height was determined after many miles at a lower ride height where the scraping you mention got the best of me. I decided to raise it up then had it corner balanced where it remains today.

At the pictured ride height my car is sitting right around 1.5" lower then stock in the front. The rear is just slightly higher (maybe 1/8" or so). In my day to day driving on some of the $hittiest roads in the US I have no issues with rubbing or scraping of the under carriage, exhaust or torque arm (in my case). This includes driving over speed bumps in a "non ricer" fashion just like the rest of the masses do in their Camry or mini vans.

Since you have long tubes (I do not) I wouldn't expect there to be issues if you were to drop your car a similar amount as I am but to be on the safe side I would think 1.25" would be fine assuming your long tubes are tucked up and away as neatly as possible.

But the moral of the story is this, if you don't have coilovers you have no height adjustability in the front so if you get regular springs and they end up dropping the car more then you expected you now backed yourself into a corner where the only way out is to swap springs again and hope the next brand/flavor doesn't do the same thing. In addition, and in most cases, "Good" coilovers will also provide better ride quality @ higher spring rates and offer more suspension travel, to a point. They can also be a double edged sword if you raise them up too high where in doing so you end up hitting the internal bump stop of the dampers on the down stroke of suspension travel. Being somewhere in the middle of the height adjustment range (or as close to the middle as possible) is most ideal.

I've never owned the Ground Control setup personally but I did look at them very closely before getting what I have now and from what I saw they offer a very good package. Sure they cost a bit more then the regular spring/shock combo but having adjustability does come for a price.

14820516025_9ff59b166e_z.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors