The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Coilovers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looking to get a good set of coilovers. I have koni yellows now and love them but I would like some height adjustments too. I will track the car 3-4 times a year. What do most people run and why?

I ran the JRi single adjustable on my Boss 302 and they provided a better than stock ride and had the car hooked up on track. I went with the SA instead of the DA just to keep things simple. I wasn’t racing so it wasn’t going to make that much difference to me.

Utah
I went with Ground Control Koni sports, single adjustable, with spring height adjustment. I had FRPP adjustable suspension with P springs before the coilovers, OK on track for a beginner but very harsh on the street. I started over driving that suspension about three years into my track driving. I have a much better ride on the street with my coilovers than with the FRPP suspension. I set the damping when I get to the track and go full soft when going home and on the street. As far as details go I run a 450 lbs front spring and 250 lbs rear spring, straight rates, FRPP front sway bar on full stiff, and 18mm bar in the rear. The car handles great on the track and I am still working to out drive the suspension after a year and a half on it. I absolutely recommend the change to coilovers. I run about 10 events per year, in TT4.

I went with Ground Control Koni sports, single adjustable, with spring height adjustment. I had FRPP adjustable suspension with P springs before the coilovers, OK on track for a beginner but very harsh on the street. I started over driving that suspension about three years into my track driving. I have a much better ride on the street with my coilovers than with the FRPP suspension. I set the damping when I get to the track and go full soft when going home and on the street. As far as details go I run a 450 lbs front spring and 250 lbs rear spring, straight rates, FRPP front sway bar on full stiff, and 18mm bar in the rear. The car handles great on the track and I am still working to out drive the suspension after a year and a half on it. I absolutely recommend the change to coilovers. I run about 10 events per year, in TT4.
Thanks you I'm leaning this way or the fortune auto 510s.

I used Ground control on my 2005 GT back in the day of Autocrossing, I ran 475lbs front with with the Eibach 35mm front anti-roll bar full stiff. In the rear it was 150lbs with a 22 MM Eibach rear anti- sway bar. with my 2011 GT/Boss302R. I run Cortex JRI SA coilover front and rear, The front is 500lbs with a 35mm Strano Anti-sway bar set in the middle. In the rear it's 250lbs and a Watson racing coat hanger 1/2 inch rear bar. Both setup are better on the street than a standard stock style setup with higher spring rates. On the track they have much better control. Spend the money and go with a good one right off the bat. JRI, MCS, Ground Control Koni Coil overs, Cortex Koni Coil overs would be better if you wanted a true coil over set up. It all depends how much you want to spend. Spring rates wont be much different for a GT500, 500lbs front should put you in the ballpark.

I used Ground control on my 2005 GT back in the day of Autocrossing, I ran 475lbs front with with the Eibach 35mm front anti-roll bar full stiff. In the rear it was 150lbs with a 22 MM Eibach rear anti- sway bar. with my 2011 GT/Boss302R. I run Cortex JRI SA coilover front and rear, The front is 500lbs with a 35mm Strano Anti-sway bar set in the middle. In the rear it's 250lbs and a Watson racing coat hanger 1/2 inch rear bar. Both setup are better on the street than a standard stock style setup with higher spring rates. On the track they have much better control. Spend the money and go with a good one right off the bat. JRI, MCS, Ground Control Koni Coil overs, Cortex Koni Coil overs would be better if you wanted a true coil over set up. It all depends how much you want to spend. Spring rates wont be much different for a GT500, 500lbs front should put you in the ballpark.
I'm willing to spend 2500 ish which is in the ball park of most of those.

I went with Stance GR+ single adjustable coilovers with swift springs. (Their base model coilover, with upgraded springs)

Stance is a USA company with awesome customer service, and an awesome warranty. Their coilovers are rebuildable, and they can custom valve them if you need that. Their on road track car is an S550 mustang.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Went from stock boss shocks and P springs to Cortex Koni coilovers with track setup..... Was suprised how much better they were. My buddy went from Koni Yellows and P springs to the same setup as well... Really a big difference in the ride (improved lots, which was a surprise..) and handling.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
For your budget range, I would suggest the Cortex Konis with the strut 'offset' for mounting wider wheels. HUGE advantage for wheel fitment choices!

*If* you can justify a bigger budget, I'd go for the JRi SA or even DA units. My only caution with the DA units are the steep learning curve for adjusting them!

For your budget range, I would suggest the Cortex Konis with the strut 'offset' for mounting wider wheels. HUGE advantage for wheel fitment choices!

*If* you can justify a bigger budget, I'd go for the JRi SA or even DA units. My only caution with the DA units are the steep learning curve for adjusting them!
Yeah being new the DA will be to much for me. The cortex says street set up on there website, can I still track them?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Yeah being new the DA will be to much for me. The cortex says street set up on there website, can I still track them?

Yes, you can. Both 'street' and 'track' should be listed on their website. I think the street or track designations are for the valving and spring recommendations that they will make (and bushing vs. heim joints for their other suspension parts). I have a 'track' setup with 550/350 F/R that I use mostly on the street and 4 to 6 events a year.

Give Filip at CorteX a call this week. I think talking to him before you decide would be helpful.

TMO Supporting Vendors