The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Cooling and misfire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Los Angeles
I just supercharged the vehicle with a Whipple gen 5 stage 1 carb compliant Whipple tune. The install was done properly by a Whipple certified installer. Now I’m experiencing misfire P0300 any one know what’s going on? I data logged the file and had Whipple review it and said everything was good. Returned it to the shop and checked everything again it was good.

also…

Before the Whipple I’ve been also having high CHT (205°-220°) normal driving in 40-50° weather. I’m even running distilled water with coolant 70/30 and a bottle of water wetter. I wasn’t to worried until I noticed the temps being as high as they were in freezing conditions. I could only imagine what they would be in the summer with a blower..

I’m trying to figure out if there might be a problem with my cooling before I band aid it with trackspec hood vents.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
So cal
Sorry meant drive modes being on or if you are pulling the dyno plug and taking off all nannies, Cause even though you have traction control off the car will still cut power and cause a false p0300 code along with temps will be higher in engine and diff as essentially when the nannies kick in you are putting load on everything as its trying to cut power. another thing to look at is which plugs and what gap are you running along with what octane fuel rating. Gap should be no more than 28 even possibly lower depending on how much boost you are running as forced induction will blow out the spark if the gap is too large. And honestly the whipple tune is trash get it tuned properly.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Los Angeles
Sorry meant drive modes being on or if you are pulling the dyno plug and taking off all nannies, Cause even though you have traction control off the car will still cut power and cause a false p0300 code along with temps will be higher in engine and diff as essentially when the nannies kick in you are putting load on everything as its trying to cut power. another thing to look at is which plugs and what gap are you running along with what octane fuel rating. Gap should be no more than 28 even possibly lower depending on how much boost you are running as forced induction will blow out the spark if the gap is too large. And honestly the whipple tune is trash get it tuned properly.
Which one is the dyno plug? I doubt I have it disconnected. Should I unplug it at the track?

gap is .027ish on the stage 1 gen 5 kit. I wanted to have a CARB compliant tune. But I guess I could switch to another tune at the track.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
So cal
Which one is the dyno plug? I doubt I have it disconnected. Should I unplug it at the track?

gap is .027ish on the stage 1 gen 5 kit. I wanted to have a CARB compliant tune. But I guess I could switch to another tune at the track.
https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/dyno-plug.18526/

Warning this does turn off all nannies, so car can be hard to control, depending on drivers skill level.

Also do you have the larger heat exchanger? That helps with temps also.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Los Angeles
170° thermostat would just be stuck open all of the time, right? The CARB compliant calibration would assume a factory temp thermostat. I would see what Whipple thinks about that. The big heat exchanger (as stated by others) definitely not hurt. All that power is creating a ton of heat. Do you have an improved radiator as part of your build?

BT

TMO Supporting Vendors