The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Coyote - oil flow on road course with sticky rubber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yup, it sure does look good and I've read lots of good stuff about it.
Problem is by the time I get it imported and tax paid the cost is over $1600. Whereas the Modular Motorsports one is roughly 1/3 of that and includes an extended pickup tube. I have a stock motor, I just want some baffles to ensure the pickup stays in oil.
I have the Moroso steel pan on a Coyote swap car, works well, no leaks. The MMR looks identical but aluminum ( Moroso makes an Al one also). Neither one uses an extended pick up tube though.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I have the Moroso steel pan on a Coyote swap car, works well, no leaks. The MMR looks identical but aluminum ( Moroso makes an Al one also). Neither one uses an extended pick up tube though.

Thanks for the update. My understanding from what I read is that the Moroso piece was meant for use with the stock pick up tube. Their pan doesn't seem real deep but is very wide at the rear, so I'm thinking there's no issue with it. MMR also uses stock tube but they make a high flow tube for "performance applications". Both say to check clearance seems like 3/8" is recommended. Both of them use the stock windage tray.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I would skip on the MMR pan, I initially bought one many years ago for the first engine build I did with them (another story around misery), but it didn't have as many features as the moroso, was more or less a copy, and had some QC issues. They refunded me before installing it, and gave me a moroso unit instead.

That said, I'm not as high on the moroso unit as I used to be, either. I'd really consider the GT500 pan as the best option for road race and HPDE applications today.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
That said, I'm not as high on the moroso unit as I used to be, either. I'd really consider the GT500 pan as the best option for road race and HPDE applications today.

But can the GT500 pan & accompanying extended pick-up tube be used with a stock or CJ oil pump? And is it compatible with the swing down splash shield/oil filter access tray on the S197s?

But can the GT500 pan & accompanying extended pick-up tube be used with a stock or CJ oil pump? And is it compatible with the swing down splash shield/oil filter access tray on the S197s?
No, you'll also need the GT500 pump. The pan alone from a dealer is about $650., whereas the kit is $7xx ish which is way more economical. The wings of the GT500 pan don't start until well past the oil filter. Which way does the access swing?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Thanks for the info

The front edge of the panel swings down towards the rear.

I dropped the engine last year to install the CJ pump, billet crank gear, chains, guides, & cams so I'm not about to change the pump again. It looks like the Moroso or MMR pans or even just the Boss 302 pan are more feasible options for me. The most I'll be running are 295 wide 200tw tires in HPDE so while it's probably a good idea to upgrade, it's not as critical as it is for those who run slicks and in competitive events.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I have the Moroso pan incoming. There's only so much water in the well and I'm also adding an Exedy hyper-single clutch at the same time. Fixing the 3-4 lockout issue is a bigger deal right now but I also want to address any potential oil starving, it's a stock engine after all and I don't usually rev it beyond 6500.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
So I *think* I get the concept of the accusump, it's a pressurized vessel full of oil and if pressure drops below some preset level it will stabilize it for a very short period of time? I always thought these things were hyper expensive race car only parts but the price is far below what I thought they used to be.

They seem to use a block on the filter mount to tap into the oil system now? Is there room for that on a stock coyote installation? How does that work if I decide to put in a air oil cooler that also has its own adapter at the filter mount? My oil temps are not a problem, never get near being out of the green zone so not sure I would ever put in an air oil cooler. Where would you mount the accusump unit in a car that is relatively stock in the engine bay?

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
JDee:

Why don’t you take it one step at a time. Install your new Moroso oil pan first & test run it. Then proceed to your air/oil cooler set up.

Moroso makes a very good product, has been involved in racing for many, many years.

Then if you feel you need it, move on to the Accu-Sump suggestion. I’m also curious how many members here run an Accu-Sump?

All the best,

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
JDee:

Why don’t you take it one step at a time. Install your new Moroso oil pan first & test run it. Then proceed to your air/oil cooler set up.

Moroso makes a very good product, has been involved in racing for many, many years.

Then if you feel you need it, move on to the Accu-Sump suggestion. I’m also curious how many members here run an Accu-Sump?

All the best,

Yeah, you're right. I've been thinking about this. The whole reason for this one oil pressure drop is because I went to 100 TW tires and now the car is pulling more Gs. My data showed the 100TW tires might be good for a 1:30.xx at Mosport. But so what? It can run 1:32.xx on 220TW and the motor is happy. I'm not racing, I just enjoy driving the car as close to the limit as I can get it. The top end of that limit is not important.

The Moroso pan will be added insurance. Maybe it's not necessary as I've never seen an oil pressure drop on 220's but but it will be good to have nonetheless. The big deal is getting the Exedy clutch installed and working which hopefully fixes the 4th gear lockout problem, that's the bigger issue right now. Then carry on with the goal of having fun with the whole track day experience. Thanks for your input.

TMO Supporting Vendors