The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Diff cooling options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
Sorry if this has been discussed at length but I can't find any comparisons between the MMR and FTB cooler kits, why the large price difference, and any other pluses and minuses, reliability, etc. Thanks for any inputs guys, new to this forum. FYI I track So Cal 7-10 times a year even in the hot summers, so this is a very needed upgrade. 2019 PP2 stock....for now.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
Have you wrapped and sealed your exhaust a couple or 3 feet on either side of the diff? Tried Motul Racing 90/140?

It helps....and is very cost-effective.
Thanks a bunch, will do those first, and monitor if I need the cooler setup right away. At least hoping cooler winter temps help.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Houston
FTB is a quality kit and a friend of mine has the kit installed in his base 19GT. I went with Kenny Brown kit as I have a P1 and didnt need the diff cover. Both systems work well in Texas heat at our local track in Houston. No more IRS limp modes.

4E0E5FA7-5FBB-4D2D-8964-119724A9EF46.jpeg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
So cal
I have the diff cooler from mmr , but havent installed it yet as am waiting for rest of parts for my diff to come in, just waiting on install bearing kit, then will do diff all together.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
FTB is a quality kit and a friend of mine has the kit installed in his base 19GT. I went with Kenny Brown kit as I have a P1 and didnt need the diff cover. Both systems work well in Texas heat at our local track in Houston. No more IRS limp modes.

View attachment 71041

For your Kenny Brown kit, you had to drill holes to mount the fan onto the tire well, right? That's all the fab needed?

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Scottsdale
On another thread somewhere here, I heard about Millers Oils CRX LS 75w140 NT+ I tried it and it is so far the best oil I have found. Developed for F1 and Indy Car. The gear whine was drastically reduced too.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Houston
FTB is a quality kit and a friend of mine has the kit installed in his base 19GT. I went with Kenny Brown kit as I have a P1 and didnt need need the diff cover. Both systems work well in Texas heat at our local track in Houston. No more IRS limp modes.
For your Kenny Brown kit, you had to drill holes to mount the fan onto the tire well, right? That's all the fab needed?
Drillled holes to mount cooler/fan with supplied brackets and a few brackets of my own to mount the cooler in different location off the plastic box and to body of car. Some basic relay and power source wiring included. Its a minor puzzle project for placement.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wake Forest, North Carolina
HYE POWER..

I see that you purchased the MMR kit.. I have one on order, so in the same position as you were in December.
Does come with instructions, wiring schematic, fluid connection layout etc..?
Have you installed yours yet.?
Any advice or tips would be appreciated. I have just completed Battery relocation to the trunk in preparation for the install.

Dave

TMO Supporting Vendors