The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Different Oil Separator Installations

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thinking about getting an oil separator on the passenger side... Was wondering if anyone had any opinions about JLT versus Moroso...The Moroso looks more durable and I like the fact that is has all metal fittings. Looks like you might run into less problems with it breaking... Any thoughts? (I know the Moroso is a little more expensive, but I'd rather pay a little more if it's going to last longer. I heard though that I might need to replace those"heater hoses" as they're not really designed to withstand oil)

Maui
Re: Moroso versus JLT?

Dean,

You are awesome!!! ;D Thanks so much. I noticed my moroso can I ordered has a 1/2 inch inlet and outlet, so I got slightly different fittings for the parts. Hope it all works. You're right, this is an expensive way to do it but it sure looks nice. Thanks again.

808Boss said:
Dean,

You are awesome!!! ;D Thanks so much. I noticed my moroso can I ordered has a 1/2 inch inlet and outlet, so I got slightly different fittings for the parts. Hope it all works. You're right, this is an expensive way to do it but it sure looks nice. Thanks again.

No problem.

I also have the Moroso can so are you sure that you have 1/2" inlet and outlet threads? Pipe threads are measured a little different so make sure they are not 3/8".

Maui

Dean#4AI said:
808Boss said:
Dean,

No problem.

I also have the Moroso can so are you sure that you have 1/2" inlet and outlet threads? Pipe threads are measured a little different so make sure they are not 3/8".

Hey Dean,

Well the part number on my Moroso is 85485. And it says the inlet and outlet fittings are 1/2". what model number moroso do you have? I hope I'm reading this correctly...
297204_10150386511953704_580538703_8201739_1821814925_n.jpg

808Boss said:
Hey Dean,

Well the part number on my Moroso is 85485. And it says the inlet and outlet fittings are 1/2". what model number moroso do you have? I hope I'm reading this correctly...

I think you are reading it correctly. I must have gotten the 85477 with the 3/8" fittings.
Hmmm, I wonder why the change. ???

Maui

Dean#4AI said:
808Boss said:
Hey Dean,

I think you are reading it correctly. I must have gotten the 85477 with the 3/8" fittings.

Well I'll find out tomorrow... Shipping to Hawaii costs an extra premium so I hope I got all the parts right...Thanks again, Looking forward to putting it all together.

Maui

Dean#4AI said:
808Boss said:
Hey Dean,

Dean,

Well got my parts and it doesn't fit. Got a little overzealous and should have made absolutely sure before I ordered. The connecting part does say 1/2 " NPT to -10 AN, but the connector male 1/2 "NPT is to large to fit in the moroso. I'm assuming I need to get the 3/8" NPT to -10 AN. Could you check your Moroso and see if you have part 85485?

Thanks

808Boss said:
Dean,

Well got my parts and it doesn't fit. Got a little overzealous and should have made absolutely sure before I ordered. The connecting part does say 1/2 " NPT to -10 AN, but the connector male 1/2 "NPT is to large to fit in the moroso. I'm assuming I need to get the 3/8" NPT to -10 AN. Could you check your Moroso and see if you have part 85485?

Thanks

Is the part number somewhere on the separator? I'm not sure I have the receipt anywhere since I like to get rid of any car spending evidence. ;)

I'll bet we have the same separator and you will need to order the 3/8" NPT to -10AN. After reading your chart above, it does say 1/2" fittings and not 1/2" threads. Didn't really pick up on the difference until you said it wouldn't fit.

Maui

Dean#4AI said:
808Boss said:
Dean,

Thanks

Is the part number somewhere on the separator? I'm not sure I have the receipt anywhere since I like to get rid of any car spending evidence. ;)

I'll bet we have the same separator and you will need to order the 3/8" NPT to -10AN. After reading your chart above, it does say 1/2" fittings and not 1/2" threads. Didn't really pick up on the difference until you said it wouldn't fit.

Well the part number is on the instruction sheet, but I called Moroso and they said the female thread on the can is 3/8" NPT. Damn...Oh well back to the drawing board...Gonna return the parts and get the right ones.. Thanks for your help. Should of just used your links in the first place.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss

Dean#4AI said:
OLOABoss said:
The fitting size is the hose barb outlet size as evidenced by the supplied hose size.

Peter

Did you want to add anything to this statement?
Bwahaaaaa..... ;D

See post #31 ;) Since I was correct I guess I should add a couple of ;D ;D

Peter

I like the AN fittings and braided hose on the Moroso seperator. Looks like a good winter upgrade project along with the brake cooling install.

Maui

Dean,

Did you cut your hoses 10" and 22"? I finally got all my parts and just got back from vacation so gonna install the moroso. Thanks!

808Boss said:
Dean,

Did you cut your hoses 10" and 22"? I finally got all my parts and just got back from vacation so gonna install the moroso. Thanks!

I don't think I ever measured them. I loosely put the connectors on the Moroso can with the PCV valves connected. Then I layed out the hose, marked it and cut it. Make sure you cut a little long since you can always cut shorter.
I don't know if you've had any experience connecting the hose to the AN connectors but make sure you lubricate the AN connector where it slips inside the hose. It can be a pain but it's a lot easier than the stainless braided hose. 8)

Maui

Rick, You mean the pcv valves? did your valves break? I was trying to find the part number but couldn't find. I'll keep on looking.

oh btw finally installed the moroso. Thanks a lot Dean. Looks exactly like your setup. Looked perfect so didn't really want to change the look.

Here's the notch. Thanks to a dremel.

373867_10150455899623704_580538703_8414357_777117385_n.jpg

Then the final product.

391877_10150455899918704_580538703_8414359_102678168_n.jpg

374925_10150455899983704_580538703_8414360_1613035226_n.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel