The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Does anybody ride?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
In my experience most gearheads don't limit themselves to just cars so I was curious if anybody rides? I've gotten away from bikes the last few years but couldn't stay away any longer. I picked up a new Ducati Monster 797 a couple days ago. My last bike was a Yamaha FZ-07 and a CBR1100xx before that.
IMG_2282.JPG

Bugs

Jim. Avocation: Avoiding Blunt-Force Trauma.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Eagle ID
Nice looking Ducati. Congratulations!

I started riding in 1971. My whole family rode until a few years ago when we became empty nesters. I recently had an extensive garage sale:
IMG_2597.JPG

I sold the YZF-R6 and picked up an FJR1300 for long-distance riding:
20180722_132929.jpg

My '97 KTM RX/C 620 was getting long in the tooth, but I breathed a little more life into it by recovering the seat and giving the graphics a makeover:
20210401_142825.jpg
IMG_2751.JPG

I was getting tired of all the maintenance required to run the WR450F as well as the KTM, so this spring, I sold both and am in the process of getting two new bikes: First I picked up a WR250R with its 26K-mile valve-check interval. I'm ready for less wrenchin' and more ridin':
20210405_120448.jpg

I also have a Tênêrê 700 on order that will (hopefully) arrive next month. I've already started ordering Farkles for it since the lead-times are currently extended. Looking forward to continue exploring the Idaho backroads.
Tênêrê 700 Stock Photo 210521.jpg

Last edited:
I always thought about getting a bike, but never followed thru.....My brother had one and my Son has one now...the window for me ever having one has closed....The Boss is enough for me these days...........

Last edited:

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Started riding in 1972. Mostly raced Motocross.

1621636527097.png I still get out now and then on my KTM 400 EXC.

1621636659676.png I spend more time on the Polaris 570 Sportsman now cause my knees are shot !!! :)

Bugs

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Eagle ID
Carver, I can respect racing motocross.

At 17, I got my first dirt bike - a '71 Yamaha CT175 - and briefly harbored a Walter Mitty-esque fantasy of racing Motocross. One sunny summer afternoon, I was riding by myself around our local, but very rough motocross track that was hacked into a hillside in south-central Wyoming. I was pushing my limits and having fun and thinking I wasn't too bad a rider. Then a 10-year-old neighbor kid rode up. He was decked out in full Yamaha racing colors and riding a shiny YZ-80.

He asked me, "You wanna' race?"

I thought, this isn't fair. I've got a 175 and he's a little kid with only an 80cc bike. But, OK, what the heck.

We took off and as I completed the first lap, the young kid was about 200 yards behind me - on his SECOND LAP!

I later found out he was a Yamaha factory-sponsored rider. My racing career was over.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Carver, I can respect racing motocross.

At 17, I got my first dirt bike - a '71 Yamaha CT175 - and briefly harbored a Walter Mitty-esque fantasy of racing Motocross. One sunny summer afternoon, I was riding by myself around our local, but very rough motocross track that was hacked into a hillside in south-central Wyoming. I was pushing my limits and having fun and thinking I wasn't too bad a rider. Then a 10-year-old neighbor kid rode up. He was decked out in full Yamaha racing colors and riding a shiny YZ-80.

He asked me, "You wanna' race?"

I thought, this isn't fair. I've got a 175 and he's a little kid with only an 80cc bike. But, OK, what the heck.

We took off and as I completed the first lap, the young kid was about 200 yards behind me - on his SECOND LAP!

I later found out he was a Yamaha factory-sponsored rider. My racing career was over.
LMAO. That sums it up for all of us.

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
My first dirt bike was a Hodaka 100 Super Rat. I raced in school boy class when I first started out. A couple of years ago at Barrett Jackson Auction I found one just like mine ....brought back a lot of fond memories ! They were great bikes.

Hodaka.jpg

Bugs

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Eagle ID
This was my last bike. I bought it new the first year they were available in the states. I test rode one in Europe a few months earlier and loved it. I can't find any pictures of my CBR right now, I'll post that later.
View attachment 65417

PatientZero, That looks like an MT-07 - correct?

If so, that brings up a question for you. My youngest daughter has ridden only small dirt-bikes in the boondocks - biggest being a Suzuki DRZ-250. After a few years, she took a liking to 4-wheelers instead.

She's off on her own now and recently had a boyfriend with an FJR where she rode pillion. Their relationship is history, but she really liked riding and now she's thinking she'd like to get her permit and start riding on the streets of Everett WA. She asked me for advice on a starter bike. I've been leaning toward lower-powered bikes, but she brought up the MT-07. She's got a good head on her shoulders, so I think she would ride responsibly, but this seems like a lot of bike for a relative noob. Do you think this bike is appropriate for someone with only a little experience to learn on? Is it maneuverable, docile and well mannered when you're not gunning it?

Also, I think the MT-07 has the same engine as the Tênêrê 700. I thought of letting her ride mine (after I get it) to see what she thinks before diving in.

Last edited:

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: maybe. I'm probably not the best person to ask. My FIRST bike was the CBR1100xx, probably the farthest thing from a beginner bike; heavy, powerful, and at the time it came out was the fastest bike in the world. I rode that bike daily for over a year and it would still scare the crap out of me. I traded that bike in on the FZ and that opened up a whole new world. Compared to the CBR, the FZ was much lighter and more maneuverable. Almost similar to a big supermoto. I think I became a much better rider in the few months I owned the FZ than the whole time I had the CBR. From the sounds of it your daughter likely has much more experience than I did. If that is the case it would probably be an excellent choice. The FZ is 400ish pounds and 75hp, almost identical to the Monster I just bought. She might be better off with a smaller 300 or 500cc bike for a few months until she feels comfortable riding again and then make the jump to the FZ.

*Edit- My bike was a FZ-07, they have since renamed them the MT-07 but it is the same thing. They were called MT in Europe since the beginning.

**Edit Edit - They now make a MT-03, I would take a good hard look at that first.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
I hadn't ridden in years and missed it so a few years ago I was going to get an Indian. Then in one day I encountered 2 huge accidents (separate incidents) happen, each just one car-length ahead of me. Other drivers suck bigtime. I'm not comfortable riding a bike any more with these yucks out there. I'm safer on track. Maybe I need to turn in my man-card, but there it is. 😂

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
That is never more Truer than now a days with all that distracted driving!!!!!...You can be the best rider in the whole world....but all it takes is one moron to mess you up.....bad..............I pray for everyone on a bike these days....Especially my Son.................
Good example, though not distracted driving...we just played a benefit event for this soldier. Nail in the tire. Damn.
We raised $30k last Thursday for him. Doesn’t fix it, but happy to do it.

Nail in the tire. Damn.
Those nails are everywhere!!!! Where do they come from????? Is there a nail gremlin around that we don't know about??. My Son got a nail in his Bobcat lawnmower tire while he was just bringing it down the street to mow a lawn.....He never got it fixed....just puts air in it with my compressor when He needs to use it....which should be pretty soon around here....................When He bought His Bolt MC, it needed a new front tire for the same reason.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors