The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

DOW 23,000+ today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
FWIW went on a road trip from Florida to my cousin's farm in Alabama, help wanted signs everyplace. I talked to my cousin about that and he said the restaurants are closing early because they can't hire enough workers. The Denny's I stopped at near Macon confirmed that, he told me nobody wants to go to work anymore. There is a manufacturing plant near me, they can't hire enough and need to expand production. not sure what is up, but from down here it seems that the economy should be booming as more states ignore closing orders. Yet it would also appear that the jobs are out there, but nobody wants them.
Very odd circumstances these days.

Too much government money floating around up here, programs for everything, except sick leave which might actually help getting people with covid to stay home and cut down workplace spread. Given that easy money, why would you work when the nice government man pays you to stay home?

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Too much government money floating around up here, programs for everything, except sick leave which might actually help getting people with covid to stay home and cut down workplace spread. Given that easy money, why would you work when the nice government man pays you to stay home?
That and people finding opportunities in other industries that were less affected (or did better). That’s going to be one of the hard parts as things ramp back up - some of the workforce will have moved on to other things. With that said, you’d think there would still be some people out there needing work.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Not doing anything with my LRCX shares but tempted to collar it tight.
LRCX reports after the close today. Should be great results. The only question is will the outlook be good, great, or phenomenal.
Been playing with the options since Monday. Sitting on a call side heavy straddle that’s completely free from what I bought yesterday and Monday. Can’t lose no matter what happens now.Should have taken my own advice to collar it on Friday. Trading on Monday worked well enough.

Grant 302

Broken record time...

This is why I hedge.

Normally, The main effort is for broad protection over market-wide activity, as opposed to position specific protection. Mostly to ‘save’ on costs and effort.

Focusing on the LRCX action, I was lucky in the sense that what I was holding wasn’t large enough to justify position specific effort. Mostly because the options are pretty expensive to me (~$5/week/ATM), except in the context of post earnings swings. Buying straddle/strangle positions in the weeklies up to this coming Friday proved fruitful. Cashing and rolling worked immediately after earnings, but hanging on to the ‘losing’ side after every turn ended up with the biggest gains...crossing well into the money with the recent drop.

Used the bulk of the gains to buy more LRCX and some call side heavy ‘bets’ just because.

More broken record...
Inflation is coming. You might have heard it here first, but notice how often that’s being said by MSM and market pundits now. Act (or react) accordingly.

The Dow tagging 35k on Monday really helped to spur what I think is just a knee-jerk reaction to the number. Profit taking and some rotation. Without trying to guess at a specific timeline, I think that level will be tested sooner than later. Might need some consolidation or to continue the ‘flush out’ first.

Read an article about new car sales taking a dive because of a chip shortage????????????...With new car sales taking a hit, used car sales (trade-ins) are also affected.Dealer inventories are fading fast......I'm keeping my Boss under lock and key!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
It was obvious in February that Inflation was coming but the talking heads at the fourth estate poo-pooed it as only a minor concern. Even a schmuck like me could see it coming. Again, it didn't suit their agenda and it wasn't until it was glaring and obvious that they could no longer ignore it.

Grant 302

It was obvious in February that Inflation was coming but the talking heads at the fourth estate poo-pooed it as only a minor concern. Even a schmuck like me could see it coming. Again, it didn't suit their agenda and it wasn't until it was glaring and obvious that they could no longer ignore it.

Yeah, you mentioned inflation back in January, at least! And I know my feeling on the matter solidified by November. But it’s annoying how the media reports on it like they’re giving you the heads-up when it’s already baked in.

The real trick is deciding what one will do to capitalize on it and/or protect assets, etc. going forward.

News of some of the effects and reactions in the real world starts trickling in...

Read an article about new car sales taking a dive because of a chip shortage????????????...With new car sales taking a hit, used car sales (trade-ins) are also affected.Dealer inventories are fading fast......I'm keeping my Boss under lock and key!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I’m not studying this closely, and the chip issue is pretty old news. I think the cause-effect feedback news is a bit of a false narrative. Used car inventories are low. And to me, that’s not really a sign of ‘real’ demand that affects new car sales and inventory. At least not in the way the news makes it sound.

Essentially, if a person who wants to buy a used car can’t find what they need in their price range...ironically, they look to a new car and financing.

Besides, what car maker wants to say that they’re ‘happy’ to idle some production lines when they can blame the chip shortage instead as the sole reason?

Our economy is what it is, for whatever reasons that affect it. That's the way the ball rolls. A slack in something may mean a change in others down the road.This world is changing more than we know..........................................................

HEY!!!!!......on a brighter note....it's a beautiful sunny day in Ct today...closing in on 70!!!.....Finances will always be a part of your lives...just don't let them come between your much more important ones......................................

Grant 302

The Dow tagging 35k on Monday really helped to spur what I think is just a knee-jerk reaction to the number. Profit taking and some rotation. Without trying to guess at a specific timeline, I think that level will be tested sooner than later. Might need some consolidation or to continue the ‘flush out’ first.
Funny…everything in this post from two months ago still applies, except for the expected flush out…which already happened. Mid June, I’d say. So continuing to hammer on 35k means to me it’s gonna make a break for it sooner than later. I think it’ll probably blow through the previously mentioned 37k level.

28FF77F1-7066-4668-9BB3-0832BDE382E7.jpeg

The Dow will always rise....it may fluctuate from tyme to tyme, due to temporary conditions in certain situations ......if you are smart, you can make money........Why are those guys called "Brokers"........................I bet my money on every race I've run....I haven't lost yet...you figure it out....................

Grant 302

You don't need to be smart but surrounding yourself with smart folks sure doesn't hurt.
There’s a supply problem right there for most folks. For investing, I do watch/observe a lot of ‘smart’ people and try to learn from their mistakes, which often tend to be pretty big ones.

Dumb luck can empower foolishness. That's a dangerous strategy.
And that’s the problem with the crypto crowd as well as the ‘meme’ stock hoarde. All those nuts chasing the performance of the top few. Crazy.

Last edited:

Grant 302

If having "brains" doesn't need to qualify as a requisite to succeed in the stock market.......is being lucky the charm????...or is an inside tip the ticket?????
Well, I don’t think that’s it either.

Maybe not exactly the right or perfects words, but I think wisdom and prudence might be more the traits I’d strive for.

Excellent advice isn’t going to help anyone who can’t save any money. And that smarts don’t always translate to wisdom. The latter part from personal experience.

TMO Supporting Vendors