The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Driver Rear Caliper keeps failing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Fort Worth
I went to the dealer today and there are two versions of the rear caliper. One is specified for the boss, shelby and GT's with performance brake package. The other is specified for the base model GT. My car calls for the performance brake package version which is on national back order with no in stock date. The part # for the base GT is available. Does anyone know for certain what the difference is? I can see that the performance package spec caliper is finished in black while the base model one is bare metal, but did they put better seals or something in the performance pack calipers?
When I do a part search on parts.ford.com for a 2011 rear caliper, it looks like they show a separate listing for 2552 and 2553 and BRCF275 and BRCF282. The 2552 and 2553 definitely cost more but weigh the same and have the same dimensions. The 2552/2553 caliper doesn't show up if you set your car to a 2005 FWIW - maybe they think if we still have an 05 we are going to go with the cheap option.

Is there a difference between Ford / Motorcraft and Ford Parts?
caliper.png

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
the part no's the dealer is listing are DR3Z-2552 B and DR3Z-2553 B for cars with performance brake package and DR3Z-2552 C and DR3Z-2553 C for base model GT's. The more expensive one in your pictures in the previous post look like the B suffix since they are black and specified for performance brake package cars. The bottom one looks like the base GT calipers or the "C" suffix. The dealer doesn't know if there is any differences besides the black finish. It is kind of a dead issue as the calipers for the performance pack cars are not available. I will have to take what i can get, but am curious if there are other differences.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
It is kind of a dead issue as the calipers for the performance pack cars are not available. I will have to take what i can get, but am curious if there are other differences.
For what it's worth, my 14 GT Premium Auto is obviously not a PP car and the rear calipers (bare metal) are holding up fine on my car. I did upgrade to the GT500 axle brackets and rotors.

I run AdvanceTrac in Sport Mode (quick double tap of the TCS button while pressing brake)

I think the only difference on the 11-14 calipers is the paint since I did not have to grind my calipers to clear the 13.8" rotors. I believe you had to slightly grind the 05-10 calipers to clear them.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Fort Worth
Quick update - it looks like either the new ABS module or the new rear calipers did the trick. I just had a very successful weekend at ECR with a ton of heavy braking with no drama or issues. I even spent a full session hammering my brakes to get more confidence in them and even after session that both rears were sub 400 degrees.

I'll take everything apart tomorrow and see how the seals look.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel