The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

EBC Brakes Pad Giveaway - May 2022

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
I love cars, but I really love motorcycles. There was a pair of shows, Long Way Down and then Long Way Round. Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman rode fully kitted BMWs UK to Africa and London to NYC. So all expenses covered?, a month long tour of the world would be incredible.

If you haven't seen the Long Way shows, it's definitely worth a view.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I love cars, but I really love motorcycles. There was a pair of shows, Long Way Down and then Long Way Round. Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman rode fully kitted BMWs UK to Africa and London to NYC. So all expenses covered?, a month long tour of the world would be incredible.

If you haven't seen the Long Way shows, it's definitely worth a view.
Great shows for sure.

I'd head to Newfoundland. I've always been fascinated watching the Targa Newfoundland rally. All expenses paid means I get to actually go and race in it.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
One of my buddies ran the Subaru Canada factory team that won open class several times when the event was young. Lots of great stories and in-car.

Truly *was* a wild-wild east hoon-a-thon its first few years.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
Route 66. From Chicago to Santa Monica...
Or the Pacific Coast Highway. From Dana Point to Leggett...

Oh, all expenses paid! I'll take both. Rt. 66 to Santa Monica, and on to the PCH
That's about 3200 miles and at a leisurely pace and stops along the way, say at least a month.
Last summer we did a 2-week drive from Olympic National Park to Palm Springs, all along PCH (as can be done). Pretty awesome drive.

A83EB7CE-D96D-4B16-900F-772CB2BAD924.jpeg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
25 min. to 1½ hrs. from Sonoma (ugh... traffic!)
Route 66. From Chicago to Santa Monica...
Or the Pacific Coast Highway. From Dana Point to Leggett...

Oh, all expenses paid! I'll take both. Rt. 66 to Santa Monica, and on to the PCH
That's about 3200 miles and at a leisurely pace and stops along the way, say at least a month.
Since my car was heavily damaged last week and may be done, please count me out of the giveaway.

EBC Brakes

Supporting Vendor
Last summer we did a 2-week drive from Olympic National Park to Palm Springs, all along PCH (as can be done). Pretty awesome drive.

View attachment 76181
I've had many people across all the forums i run mention the PCH, and it has made its way up my bucket list for sure!

EBC Brakes

Supporting Vendor
I'd love to do a tour of Europe to all the top tracks. Nurburgring, Silverstone, Mugello, Catalunya, Le Mans, etc.
Congratulations @PatientZero , You are the winner! Please PM your full vehicle details (make, model, year & engine size) in the 'conversations', as well as your choice of pads and any part number (Can be found in the link in our signature) along with your full name and shipping address. Thank you to everyone who participated. Remember FORUM10USER code gets you 10% discount...

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
Last edited:
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
Sorry what was it you were looking for?
On the PerfectBrakes website, it lists "2015- 2.3L GT Performance Package." This really isn't a thing. The 2.3 can have the Performance Package, but the GT Performance Package is not a real designation. The GT always has the 5.0 engine.

It breaks down like this:

2015-2022+ base Eco: 320x30mm vented front discs w/ single piston calipers & 320x11mm solid rear discs w/ single piston caliper

2015-2022+ base GT: 352x32mm reverse vented front discs w/ 4-piston caliper & 330x25mm reverse vented rear discs w/ single piston sliding caliper. In 2022, the venting has changed to the proper side of the disc bell.

2015-2022+ GT with Performance Package (PP): 380x34mm standard vented front discs w/ 6-piston calipers & 330x25mm standard vented rear discs with single piston sliding caliper

2015-2019 Eco w/ PP: Same as base GT

2020 Eco HPP: Same as base GT

2021-2022+ Eco HPP: Same as GT PP

Since, in 2022, the base GT discs have swapped from reverse (useless) venting to standard venting, I honestly don't know why EBC would sell anything different. Reverse venting has no place in a performance application. This was perhaps the single biggest bone-headed choice made by Ford for the S550. I'd have no problem telling the systems engineer the same thing. It was an awful choice which should have gotten that person fired...or shot...take your pick.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, to answer your question:

My car is a 2020 Eco HPP, so the same brake package as the base GT (4 piston front/single slider rear)

I presently run EBC blue pad on the front for street/autoX duty. I really like it for that use. I'd like to put 2 piece discs on the car if I could find any which I thought were of appropriate quality. So far, I have not. Every option looks to be Alibaba specials for everything except the price tag. EBC does not presently have a 2-piece disc option for the 352x32 disc that I'm aware. To that end, I'd be fine with high-quality one piece discs as long as they have the venting on the inside of the disc bell. The pictures used on the PerfectBrakes site seem to be stock photos, so it's tough to know how the venting has been placed on your actual product.

I'm less picky on the rear of the car. I want proper venting, but they don't see the abuse the front does. A decent quality 1 or 2-piece disc and a relatively benign rear pad like your yellow or red would probably be my choice, but as of now, I'm using stock.

I hope that helps explain.

EBC Brakes

Supporting Vendor
On the PerfectBrakes website, it lists "2015- 2.3L GT Performance Package." This really isn't a thing. The 2.3 can have the Performance Package, but the GT Performance Package is not a real designation. The GT always has the 5.0 engine.

It breaks down like this:

2015-2022+ base Eco: 320x30mm vented front discs w/ single piston calipers & 320x11mm solid rear discs w/ single piston caliper

2015-2022+ base GT: 352x32mm reverse vented front discs w/ 4-piston caliper & 330x25mm reverse vented rear discs w/ single piston sliding caliper. In 2022, the venting has changed to the proper side of the disc bell.

2015-2022+ GT with Performance Package (PP): 380x34mm standard vented front discs w/ 6-piston calipers & 330x25mm standard vented rear discs with single piston sliding caliper

2015-2019 Eco w/ PP: Same as base GT

2020 Eco HPP: Same as base GT

2021-2022+ Eco HPP: Same as GT PP

Since, in 2022, the base GT discs have swapped from reverse (useless) venting to standard venting, I honestly don't know why EBC would sell anything different. Reverse venting has no place in a performance application. This was perhaps the single biggest bone-headed choice made by Ford for the S550. I'd have no problem telling the systems engineer the same thing. It was an awful choice which should have gotten that person fired...or shot...take your pick.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now, to answer your question:

My car is a 2020 Eco HPP, so the same brake package as the base GT (4 piston front/single slider rear)

I presently run EBC blue pad on the front for street/autoX duty. I really like it for that use. I'd like to put 2 piece discs on the car if I could find any which I thought were of appropriate quality. So far, I have not. Every option looks to be Alibaba specials for everything except the price tag. EBC does not presently have a 2-piece disc option for the 352x32 disc that I'm aware. To that end, I'd be fine with high-quality one piece discs as long as they have the venting on the inside of the disc bell. The pictures used on the PerfectBrakes site seem to be stock photos, so it's tough to know how the venting has been placed on your actual product.

I'm less picky on the rear of the car. I want proper venting, but they don't see the abuse the front does. A decent quality 1 or 2-piece disc and a relatively benign rear pad like your yellow or red would probably be my choice, but as of now, I'm using stock.

I hope that helps explain.
Thank you very much for this break down, I try my best to understand each application across the entire range of products we offer but it is difficult, this is very useful for me and I will chat to the team to try and clear up all that you have pointed out. I will ask about the venting for you also.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
So Cal
Thank you very much for this break down, I try my best to understand each application across the entire range of products we offer but it is difficult, this is very useful for me and I will chat to the team to try and clear up all that you have pointed out. I will ask about the venting for you also.

Don't feel bad. It's pretty confusing and if you don't actually have one sitting in your driveway, it's tough to sort out.

I'm really interested in the venting; that's a big deal. I'm also interesting in 2-piece discs for this application. It's not *as* big of a deal, but if you produced a higher quality combo than what is presently available, I'd definitely be interested. From what I see, EBC produces a front disc which is just waiting for a hat, but the closest rear sizing is 28mm instead of 25 thick. That's the only sticking point I see and it's not massive.

Here's another thought. EBC could produce 'Racer' 1-piece discs which have correct venting, some sort gas-relief grooving & lightened compared to the standard OE replacement. A lot of people go for 2-piece stuff because of the weight savings. If you cut/cast 6-8 kidney shaped holes in the bell portion (forming ~30mm wide 'spokes') and maybe a couple pocket cuts on the hub mount, you could get most of the weight reduction of 2-piece discs and all the looks at somewhat more than 1-piece costs. You wouldn't have the float or disc only replacement option, but I bet you'd sell the crap out of them, regardless.

All that aside, I really like the Blues for my application. Brakes aren't massive on an autocross, but they still matter. Because of the lower speeds and temps, ultimate performance isn't much of an issue. It's easy to have too much bite which can be a little difficult to use in a parking lot. The Blue compound has a significantly better hit and stable mu than a 'normal' street pad, but it's not a light switch, which I appreciate.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors