The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Electric F-150

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Interesting. I am curious about the towing capabilities in these EVs.

"The electric F-150 – due out in mid-2022 – is expected to cost about half as much to maintain and operate as today’s pickups, Galhortra said ahead of Ford announcing additional production details Thursday at a plant where the vehicle will be produced in Michigan."

Electric vehicles are slowly making their way onto our landscape....Will gas stations be harder to find than charging stations in the future???..I'm sure I won't be around to worry about that............Son will...He gets the Boss when I leave......................

Ron McCall

Pantera1889
So...there are thousands and thousands of Ford trucks filling the parking lots of Kentucky Speedway because if a shortage of an electric component and now they want to make the entire truck an electric component??? They better get their supply of electrical components straightened out first! ;-)

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
I can completely see the hybrid, but as for electrics, I only can picture them as commuter cars of less than about 300 miles, in an urban environment.
And that is the problem with today's public opinion of the electric cars. An electric car carries a lot of weight due to the batteries, and you need a lot of batteries to have a lot of range, which adds more weight as range goes up. If you want to be efficient and smart about it, small cars are the worst example possible for an electric application, but people see them in urban environments, being all quiet and everything, and that's all they care about. If you think about it, a small car does not require or really benefit from the torque that electric propulsion provides. I don't see anyone towing their boats with a Fiat 500e ...
On the other hand, large vehicles that are anyway heavy because of towing requirements (brakes, suspensions, tires and wheels, plus big torquey diesel engines) don't suffer as much from the extra weight a battery brings into the equation, and those vehicles are the ones that benefit from all that torque all the time. Plus, a F150 or SuperDuty is already a big platform which offer a ton of square footage in its lower cross section, on the chassis, as the cab is anyways bolted on top of the chassis. So fitting a battery under the car does not reduce the ground clearance much, nor does it raise the driving position, two massive problems you encounter on a normal passenger electric vehicle with the batteries in the floor. Add to this that trucks get a lot more mileage per year than city cars, so the initial CO2 impact of building the batteries is at least spread over more usage each year than Mrs Joe driving to the bakery and the day car 5 times a week in her posh BMW i3 or something similar.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
But.....If it cant make the trip without a long "Refuel Stop" why bother??
Has anyone seen a KWh consumption study for an electric truck? How much "Work" do you get from a tank of diesel compared to a full charge? Apples to Apples??? If the answer is no, the question has likely been asked and answered unfavorably.
Can a electric F-250 pull a car in a 24' enclosed trailer from Blackhawk Farms Raceway to Road America approximately 140 miles?? If not, why bother?
The Tesla S has a 75 KWH battery. There are 37.95 KWh in a gallon of diesel. I know the efficiency is not there when converting diesel to usable power, but.... There would have to be a whole lot of inefficiency for the battery to last equal to a tank of fuel. Double or Triple the battery capacity (And Cost) would you come close to range, without refuel/recharge... Maybe. I am finding 15KWh per gallon of diesel when run through a generator from a google search. So, five gallons of diesel may equal the work done by a fully charged battery. You would have to have 7-10 battery packs from the Tesla S to equal the work done by the average diesel pickup refueling. Seems right considering the fuel use on diesel trucks to a sedan.
Nope, I am not an engineer. Just someone trying to boil down the "Info" available and trying to make sense from it.
Electric cars do look good for the urban commuter. Put them all on electric buses........problem solved. 🤭

Last edited:

Ron McCall

Pantera1889
What's going to happen when the police and rescue vehicles are forced to convert to electric vehicles? Imagine a crash scene in rural Montana in January and the officer needs to keep the
heat on in the vehicle for hours so as to not freeze to death in -30F conditions. Or sitting with the AC on to not die sitting for hours in 115F temps in Arizona during the summer. As 302BOB says, lots of questions. NOt lots of answers.

Ron

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel