The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Elon Musk statement of owning anything other than a Tesla in 3 years??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Dear Expired Moo Moo ----that is so damn funny I tried to give you two likes , but the computer would not let me, hehe!!

Dear Elon,
Don't let history repeat itself , as Tesla's eccentricity let Edison rocket past him and establish an industry. Keep up your proclaimed self worth and you might be able to help history repeat itself as GM, Ford, Volvo, Jaguar and others jump past you with their own lightning strikes?!

In the V6L
Every time I looked at the 4" Sync system in my 2016 GT350 TP, I was reminded of that "if Microsoft built cars" rant. Sync and MyFordTouch were both built on a Microsoft NT Embedded platform. And it showed.

Now that Sync3 is built on a good, solid Canadian designed and built operating system from Blackberry, it works so much better.

Well after owning a Tesla Model 3 for almost a year now I can confirm it's not prefect and they would do well to hire as many Apple engineers as they can. Regardless now that I we have an EV as a daily commuter car there's no going back. And I'm not referring to the tree hugger aspect although I can say my electric bill has not increased like a gallon of gasoline.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Saw my brother-in-laws tan model S at Easter and he still loves the car. I must admit it's slick but not for everyone. I personally like it but not the model 3, just not my taste. Making an outrageous claim as Elon did is just silly. Even if we all did own EVs in three years, which we won't and you can take that to the bank, who's to say they'll all be a Tesla?

Plenty of people have gone broke betting against him. Frankly, since Ford isn't doing ANYTHING that I can see, I'll likely get a Tesla for my next car.

I love Tesla and admire the hell out of Elon Musk. He’s done great things for the industry as a whole, and his p11d is one of the fastest cars I’ve ever driven hands down.

All that said: I’m not owning an electric car until they can:

1) Do a Burnout
2) Go 300+ miles on a charge
3) Charge from 0% to 100% in 5 minutes or less

Although I see leaps and bounds everyday, EV’s are simply not practical for the majority of people in real world, day to day life. I don’t believe we’ll be there in three years. Ten? Maybe.

I hope he can prove me wrong.
We’ll see.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Here in the Midwest, the difficulty of going long distances , weakened range of EVs in the cold Winter , and a huge lack of recharging stations, render it very difficult to imagine widespread use for a very long time. Frankly , the thought of constantly improving Hybrids makes much more sense to me, as the regeneration systems similar to what is used on F1 could become even more advanced and the use of a small gasoline engine, in addition, really solves the paranoia for many in far flung places. Either way the Automotive Industry will continue to change as it has from the beginning. Elon has done wonders with EVs , but in my opinion his Ego could derail Tesla's growth as there are plenty of companies moving quickly into this niche who have deep pockets and extensive Automotive research and expertise. Fun changes ahead , but don't ask me to get excited about autonomous vehicles ------ believe this is farther off than many pundits predict?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
News alert ---Ford invests 500 million in EV Truck Company Rivian. I think Ford is viewing Electric in the areas that make the most sense in it's Market Share. Items like this are why I feel Mr. Musk needs to stay on task and not make foolish statements or belittle the industry. A bit of modesty and diplomacy might help him work together with a large player in developing other market niches in this changing environment.

Just a thought , as more and more companies are viewing a partnership with their competition as a way to keep costs down, innovation up, and penetration in a market area others may have abandoned or only have limited sales. This may help launch the always needed " Halo Versions, " each Manufacturer covets to impress it's customer base.

Musk is ignoring the math. The average age of cars on the road is 11 years. That means half are from 12 to 22 years old and half are 11 years and newer. Just considering that, it will be 11 years for half of the current cars on the road to become electric IF everyone stops buying gas cars today and buys electric.

Not gonna happen, especially since there are no $15K EV's since the average price of a car is $35K and there are no cars for sale below about $11K.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Elon has no time for math, he is either working in Space ( now that venture is cool ) or is getting spaced out ---Mary Jane inhalation!

...and Bingo Autoweek just pops out the news that the next Porsche Cayman or Boxster will likely be a hybrid, hmmm?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel