The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Elon Musk statement of owning anything other than a Tesla in 3 years??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I love Tesla and admire the hell out of Elon Musk. He’s done great things for the industry as a whole, and his p11d is one of the fastest cars I’ve ever driven hands down.

All that said: I’m not owning an electric car until they can:

1) Do a Burnout
2) Go 300+ miles on a charge
3) Charge from 0% to 100% in 5 minutes or less

Although I see leaps and bounds everyday, EV’s are simply not practical for the majority of people in real world, day to day life. I don’t believe we’ll be there in three years. Ten? Maybe.

I hope he can prove me wrong.
We’ll see.
You're number 3 point means you probably will never own one in your lifetime.

I wanted to share a little antidotal observation from my drive from NorCal to SoCal last week, which was a 430 mile drive in one direction. We didn't drive our Tesla but considered it, in the end our SUV is much larger and more comfortable on long trips compared to our Model 3. Three of the four people in my family are 6'+ so we need room to stretch our legs. But driving down the I-5 corridor I must have seen 100+ Teslas in the middle of nowhere and that was just on the other side of the fwy. People are making longer trips in EV's but to be fair on this specific route there are several Supercharger stops.

Just a reminder that smoking pot is legal in CA where Elon lives. ;) And it's probably coming to a state near you soon. :eek:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Drinking is also legal in all 50. No one is STUPID enough as a CEO to go live drinks and acting like an ass. The man has issues. He should loose just because of his childish antics.
BTW, if something is illegal at the federal level. How can it be legal at the state level? Answer, Terrible state governments, law enforcement enabled by a terrible central government. And no, this did not happen during the last two years.
So Rick, hate to disagree but. It ain't legal. Its just not enforced. HUGE DIFFERENCE! I don't want to get into politics and alinsky's rules for radicals on this site.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Top Tesla Analyst stating today that Musk needs to raise 2.5 Billion and it is going to cause havoc with the stock. Already , yesterday, not long after his bold statements of what will occur to folks if not driving a Tesla in 3 years, reports of 700 million in losses due to slowing Sales and other concerns. Cool car, but he would be advised to zip the lip and work on issues instead of causing his own confrontations and turmoil with his Company, imho.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
In three years I'll be watching to see how their reliability has been and whether or not the process to create the batteries has cleaned up or turned out to be just as much of an environmental disaster as I anticipate it will be. I do not have a lot of faith in the long-term viability of these cars, nor their supposed Gaia-saving qualities.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I echo your concerns, Chris, as the production of batteries ( and eventual disposal ) have many consequences that at present folks seem to be giving a blind eye to? Unfortunately there really isn't a pollution free alternative to either petroleum or electric vehicles, other than hydrogen , and one wonders if this area of automotive advancement will be the next major realm of heavy experimentation in coming years. At present, I see the common sense advancement of Hybrids as the most efficient move for the coming years. Either way change will continue to occur and though we all have our biases and arguments, I will admit that the Governmental demands over the past 40 years have made the Industry a model of innovation , design, and constant experimentation. We all complain ( myself included ), but the special dynamics of the automotive landscape have made it a very unique human product and regulation, though hated, has in many aspects made for some unreal advancements. Who knew after the death of the Muscle Car in the 70s, that we would see an even longer period of speed , power and safety that we enjoy today. Crazy, too many off us, is that the cars we drive on the street today, will outrun many race cars of 20 years past? The issue with Musk, to me, is his lack of vision that he is not the only visionary, and this should be so transparent in what many feel is the most dynamic , ever changing industry on the Planet?!

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
I echo your concerns, Chris, as the production of batteries ( and eventual disposal ) have many consequences that at present folks seem to be giving a blind eye to? Unfortunately there really isn't a pollution free alternative to either petroleum or electric vehicles, other than hydrogen , and one wonders if this area of automotive advancement will be the next major realm of heavy experimentation in coming years. At present, I see the common sense advancement of Hybrids as the most efficient move for the coming years. Either way change will continue to occur and though we all have our biases and arguments, I will admit that the Governmental demands over the past 40 years have made the Industry a model of innovation , design, and constant experimentation. We all complain ( myself included ), but the special dynamics of the automotive landscape have made it a very unique human product and regulation, though hated, has in many aspects made for some unreal advancements. Who knew after the death of the Muscle Car in the 70s, that we would see an even longer period of speed , power and safety that we enjoy today. Crazy, too many off us, is that the cars we drive on the street today, will outrun many race cars of 20 years past? The issue with Musk, to me, is his lack of vision that he is not the only visionary, and this should be so transparent in what many feel is the most dynamic , ever changing industry on the Planet?!

and yet...the Mustang lives on !!! Yahoo !!!!:) I hope it never goes EV,

TMO Supporting Vendors