The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Engine(?) Rattle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin
There was a thread started on the 6G forums a couple weeks ago about a noise that some people are hearing at certain RPMs. I was looking for it the other day without success but then someone started a new one yesterday. http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43464

The sound is a rattle - perhaps valve-train related or maybe something under the hood is resonating. It starts around 1800-2000 rpm and seems to stop around 2500-3000 depending on what gear you're in. It also seems to be only when the engine is under load as I can modulate the sound with the throttle when it's in that rpm range.

I haven't really tried to track it down yet, I'll investigate it this weekend when I do the first oil change. I'll report back here but I'm wondering if anyone here has heard it or has any ideas for what to look for.

I recall there were reports of something similar to this on one of the Cobra forums and other Fords with 4 valve motors. Something related to the timing chain automatic tensioner which are controlled by oil pressure.

I just picked mine up and noticed it on the drive home. I was thinking more along the line of something with the clutch? Only came in in the 1800-2800 range under light load. Hoping its normal, goes away, or both!

Weren't the R's held back at the factory for lifters that never bled down correctly? Maybe this is something similar and it effects all the 5.2 motors?

Austin
Sean said:
Weren't the R's held back at the factory for lifters that never bled down correctly? Maybe this is something similar and it effects all the 5.2 motors?

I hadn't heard that. I can't imagine them only holding R's because there's no difference between an R motor and a non-R motor. The thread on 6G has become active again with a bunch of people seeing the issue. I still haven't gotten around to tracking it down. Maybe this weekend.

ChopSui said:
I hadn't heard that. I can't imagine them only holding R's because there's no difference between an R motor and a non-R motor. The thread on 6G has become active again with a bunch of people seeing the issue. I still haven't gotten around to tracking it down. Maybe this weekend.

I think it was because when you were getting over a certain amount of G's the lifters weren't properly bleeding down which was causing issues.

I noticed a similar rattle this morning but mine sounded more like it was coming from the dash. Same symptoms and RPM ranges though.

Austin
Some of you may have seen this in the 6G forum, but I wanted to post it here just for completeness' sake. I'm assuming OASIS is some sort of Ford technical bulletin system?

OASIS 2888-

Some 2016 GT350 Mustangs might exhibit Piston Rattle from Idle to 3000 RPM

Some 2016 Mustang GT350 equipped with the 5.2L engine may exhibit a rattle or rapping type sound during cold operation at light loads and speeds from idle-3000 rpm. The noise will be most noticeable during light acceleration in the 1500-3000 RPM range and may also be noticeable in the 800-1200 RPM range with neutral throttle blips. This sound is caused by the piston motion in the cylinder bore. This is an inherent characteristic of the forged aluminum pistons utilized in this high performance engine. Once the engine reaches operating temperature the noise will diminish, although it may still be noticeable even when fully warm. There are no durability concerns with this sound.

voodoo child21 said:
Here is a picture of your clutch assembly.
600_zpsyxbma41d.jpg
Twin disc with many moving parts, may be a little rattly.
Steve

I have posted on Mustang6g about a rattle noise coming from the front area of the trans tunnel. I'm familiar with 2 disk clutches and they typically make noise when you have the clutch pedal depressed because the disks are free to move around. With the clutch is engaged everything should be totally secure. At least thats the way it is with my 66 Mustang race care with a McLeod twin disk clutch...pedal in noisy...pedal out quiet. I could be missing something...who knows. But the sound on my GT 350 is totally annoying thats for sure. Its always the sound you can't figure out that annoys you...LOL

ChopSui said:
Some of you may have seen this in the 6G forum, but I wanted to post it here just for completeness' sake. I'm assuming OASIS is some sort of Ford technical bulletin system?

FYI Ford OASIS stands for, On-Line Automotive Service Information System. When you enter a specific vehicle ID this system provides a printable report about work performed under warranty and any recalls that where already done. More importantly the report includes any recalls that are still open on that vehicle.

So this report is vehicle specific and not anything like a Tech Service Bulletin from Ford. I would have to say piston rattle is not what I'm hearing...sure doesn't seem to be coming from where the pistons are located. And mine is happening at full operating temps.

Ok thought I would give an update. I found out what the rattle was. The local FORD dealer actually found it as I took it in to be looked at. There was a bracket that holds the oil cooler lines to the core support or something like that where a bolt was missing. This allowed the bracket to vibrate enough to hit something nearby and cause the rattling sound. I was lucky in that I was able to get the car to do it in the service driveway so the tech could hear it. They fixed it...no issues since. Kudos to the FORD tech. :)

There was a thread started on the 6G forums a couple weeks ago about a noise that some people are hearing at certain RPMs. I was looking for it the other day without success but then someone started a new one yesterday. http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43464

The sound is a rattle - perhaps valve-train related or maybe something under the hood is resonating. It starts around 1800-2000 rpm and seems to stop around 2500-3000 depending on what gear you're in. It also seems to be only when the engine is under load as I can modulate the sound with the throttle when it's in that rpm range.

I haven't really tried to track it down yet, I'll investigate it this weekend when I do the first oil change. I'll report back here but I'm wondering if anyone here has heard it or has any ideas for what to look for.
Yes I have the issue with my 2018 gt I took it to the dealer said they were unable to verify noise but I can get it to make the noise every time . Seems to be most noticeable every time it gets ready to shift during normal driving . Sounds like rod knock or a wrist pin noise . So I guess I will let it manifest itself.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel