The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

EPAS dead spot/free play after header install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi everybody, as the topic states, I have recently installed a set of Kooks LTH, after the install, there seems to be a slight dead spot in the steering system. I did have to drop the K member which involved disconnecting the steering shaft from the rack. Everything was witness marked and installed and torqued to spec. Has anyone experienced a similar condition? Does/can the EPAS need a reprogram after being disconnected? Any info you guys have would be a great help.

Thanks.

Solved. As another member from another forum mentioned about double checking the steering knuckle bolt, the one steering knuckle bolt was maybe, and I mean maybe, five pounds off of spec allowing the steering shaft to move within the knuckle. I just thought I would share as it should have hit me sooner, it's just nearly impossible to get a torque wrench on the knuckle bolt so I figured really right was tight enough... Apparently not. I hope this helps someone in the future.

captdistraction said:
mine might have some loose threads, I should really consider replacing it while everything is out. You're absolutely right though, doesn't take much for it to be "loose" and have a little play despite the bolt feeling like its solid.

It's a good idea to check, like I said, I had red Loctite on there and had a good amount of torque on it and it was still "loose". That could be an ugly situation if it ever lets go. Better taking the two minutes and being sure as you can access it from underneath with all the panels on.

Lol nice, at the speeds you can push it, I don't think it would be nearly as catastrophic as I originally thought. In your case, there should be absolutely no reason to not tighten it ;D.

TMO Supporting Vendors