The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Eric's Candy Red S197 Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Calimer tore the trans back down on Monday. Well as suspected 4th gear broke. I don't know how or why a Calimer stage 2 with less than 1200 miles is already in pieces behind a naturally aspirated car that makes less than 450 rwhp. I was told that the broken gear went through the trans and damaged everything. They even said that the input shaft was twisted. I am guessing that a piece of broken gear became wedged somewhere and bound up the gears causing the twist. I asked for pictures and still have not received them. It looks like a Tremec is in my future. I can't see paying Calimer for another build after this experience. Well on the bright side I will probably have an almost new MGW X-Spec standard length installed for less than 1200 miles and a Steeda 1 piece aluminum drive shaft for sale soon.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
You'll need a different clutch as well, due to the change in spline count on the input shaft. Though you may be able to get away with just new friction disc(s), since that's what interfaces the input shaft. I confirmed with Exedy that their Hyper Single can be swapped between MT82 and TR6060 with just a friction disc change, though a replacement disc costs nearly as much as the full clutch kit. Looks like you have a Mantic; you may want to contact them to see if you can do the same.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Thanks for pointing out the clutch spline issue. I realize that and have already talked with Geoff at Mantic and he is sending me an RMA to send hime the clutch for refitting. Calimer wants to rebuild as a stage 3 with a 26 spline shaft and give me what I consider a very slight discount since his stage 2 didn't make it 1200 miles. Either way I need to re-disk the basically new clutch, so it is a wash on that. I can get a Magnum XL for about $400 more than Calimer wants to rebuild again and I get an actual warranty instead of another rebuild with basically no warranty. I can sell the almost new MGW and my one piece drive shaft to offset the cost of a new drive shat. I also have the option of having my one piece shaft modified for the conversion by a local shop. I have not talked with them yet to get the cost.

The other issue is the gearing is going to be off and I will need to upgrade ring and pinion to get it back in line. I will have to do this over the winter since this unexpected expense was not budgeted. I was planning on upgrading my trac loc for a Thorsen or Eaton Tru Track this winter anyway, but this will necessitate a different gear ratio. I am still trying to figure out which ration Tremec to get. Any input on the wide or close ration would be appreciated. I know with the current 3:55 rear it will be slow off the line, but I don't drag race and only drive occasionally on the street. I will have to live with it until the differential upgrade over the winter.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
My clutch came back from Mantic over the weekend with new 26 spline disks. Geoff at Mantic Clutch USA has been great to work with. He refit the clutch with the new disks and had it back to me in just a few days. He also ran a bunch of gear ratio calcs showing the gear ratios of the MT82 and the two versions of the Magnum XL with different ring and pinions to help me decide which Magnum XL to buy. I decided on the close ratio box which has been difficult to find and I live close to two different Tremec Elite Distributors. They only had the wide ratio available. I managed to get a close ratio Magnum XL kit from a distributor out west. It should be here next week. I also received shipping confirmation from Shaftmasters this morning. The new drive shaft should be here on Thursday. Things are finally coming together.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel