The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Eric's Candy Red S197 Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I could only get -1.5 degrees of camber after installing the new struts/springs, so I pulled them back out. The Steeda camber plates were replaced with a set from Vorshlag. I also cut the towers while I had the struts out this time.

Before:
View attachment 67247
After:
View attachment 67248

I still need to clean up some dust from cutting and grinding and schedule another alignment. I think I can get more than -1.5 degrees camber now.
Vorshlag must be using longer bolts on their CC plates now - you have way more threads on the top side than mine, which would be nice for strut tower brace.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Vorshlag must be using longer bolts on their CC plates now - you have way more threads on the top side than mine, which would be nice for strut tower brace.
There are plenty of threads for the strut tower brace. I didn't put the stock one back on. It may get in the way of adjusting the struts, so I ordered one from Steeda that shouldn't be in the way. It just hasn't come in yet.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
I also took little time to improve air flow through the radiator after my weekend at Barber. It was the first time that I had heat issues with the car. I was able to get temperature back down to a safe range by running the heater on high, so I figured more air flow would solve the problem. The stock grill with fog lights came out and a Cervinis billet aluminum grill went in. I can't believe how little air the stock grill flowed.
Stock:
IMG_0713.jpg
Cervinis:
IMG_0712.jpg

Finished install

IMG_0717.jpg

Now to get it back on track to see how hot it runs.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
A good hood vent will do more to reduce heat than most anything else you can do. Getting more air in without getting it a way out is not going to be a major change. Look at RaceLouvers units, they worked wonders for heat control in my car.
Thanks for the input. The grill was the first step. I was already looking at Race Louvers next if I still have heat issues. I just can't do everything at once. Work keeps getting in the way.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I went from the stock Boss grill to the 302R/S grill, some improvement. Then I picked up a Cobra Jet grill. Much better. The best thing I have found that works well is to leave the grill in your trailer.
A Tiger racing hood is my next cooling mod.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
#400 was the baseline pull number on the Dyno and #421 was the final pull #. Baseline pull was stock with Steeda CAI and a Steeda 93 octane tune purchased about 7 years ago. It made about 412 HP and 397 ft lb of torque. The final pull was with the ported Boss intake and throttle body. It made 447 peak hp and 395 ft lb of peak torque. The numbers were a little higher than I expected, but conditions were near perfect. It was 67 degrees out, clear skies and humidity down around 40%. The important take away for me is how little we lost in the midrange and we gained at both ends. I read a lot of horror stories of losing a lot below 5500 rpm with the Boss. I haven't driven it much yet, but the power delivery is completely different. The car appears to launch harder and pull all the through with no fall off in power. I will drive it some more this weekend to get a better feel for it before loading it up for Barber next weekend.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
A really big change in cooling will occur with a Tiger hood. Just get ahold of chicane23.com ( Jonathan Blevins ) since he is the distributor for everyone else. He does not list the hoods as " Tiger " though they are , but if you acquire one anywhere else they will be getting the same hood from him - Ultimate Street Car Challenge Class Winner 2018, 2019, 2021.

I often go through an entire race weekend never seeing a single engine temp over 200. The last NASA race in Topeka , running two 15 minute warm ups, one 15 minute qualifying, 3 30 minute races, and one 35 minute race, I never even got to 200 degrees on temps in 60s and 70s. The hood is remarkable and with the benefit of additional downforce it is a must have in my mind. Offered in both fiberglass or Carbon Fiber depending on your cost concerns.

Really strong numbers, Eric, you should be super pleased!! Do you have the limiter set at 7700 or 7800 , hard to tell on the graph.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
The limiter was set at 7800 while tuning so it wouldn't get in the way. After we were done we moved the limiter back down to 7400 to be on the safe side. It is a stock 2011 bottom end - no forged crank or rods. Peak hp was at 7339 anyway.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Everyone tells me you can't compare cars using different Dyno's on different days. I think this Dyno may read a little high and conditions were really good. I am very happy with the tune so far. The tuner spent a lot of time dialing it in to minimize low to midrange losses while getting solid top end gains. My car is a GT with stock internals, not a Boss, so it will not spin as high due to heads/valve springs. There just isn't anything to be gained spinning mine much over 7400rpms.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Thank you for the compliments. Next weekend will be the real test for the new mods/tuning. Back to Barber for what will probably be my last track outing for the year.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Barber didn't go as planned. The car was running great, but the clutch started to act up on the second run of the first day. I got locked out of 3rd on a high rpm downshift and the clutch pedal stuck half way to the floor. I had to turn the car off to get it back into any gear and limp in. I checked everything and it shifted fine on the street, but did the same thing the next session, so I parked it for the weekend and hung out with friends. It is a good thing that I already had a clutch, slave cylinder and flywheel on order. I planned on swapping it out over the winter since the car has 94k miles and was still on the original clutch and MT82. I just about have the transmission out and will ship it off to Ben Calimer this weekend for a refresh before reinstalling it. I was going to finish pulling it tonight but the power is out due to a storm.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Trans is out. Crating it up to ship to Ben Calimer. While waiting for it to come back I will install the new clutch and flywheel to be ready for the reinstall when it comes back.

TMO Supporting Vendors