The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Exedy Hyper Single Clutch Assembly

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I think Rehagan Racing uses Exedy clutches and i believe YellowBoss just installed one in his Boss.

The one I have my eye on is a McLeod RST.

I looked at the twin disk clutches, but think it is an overkill for the car unless I was drag racing it like Justin. I have heard that some Grand Am and World Challenge cars are using this. Just wanted some feedback from someone that has it in their car.

wwilde001 said:
I looked at the twin disk clutches, but think it is an overkill for the car unless I was drag racing it like Justin. I have heard that some Grand Am and World Challenge cars are using this. Just wanted some feedback from someone that has it in their car.

I am and it would have been better with the single disc, IMHO. Dean told me to get the twin disc and I trust and respect him as he drives and races the parts he recommends in different cars and different series. However Jon at Racers Edge told me to get the single as that is what they use in the R, yes they have to with rules but it works and last a season in the race car. I think I should have listened to him.

I am not sure if it is just me and Dean can drive it better but the twin disc is crazy and grabs way to hard for me and the track. I was also having some issues that may turn out to be the slave cylinder again, not sure but another 302S owner with the same clutch as mine is having issues also.

NFSBOSS said:
I'm going to let my dealer have a shot at it first.

I am not even going to reply to that post .... or is this considered a reply?

I'm running the Hyper Single in mine, no complaints. I had to replace my first one due to an oil leak that got into the clutch. I just pulled my trans today because all of my hyd fluid dripped out from my bell housing. The clutch is in good shape but the slave cylinder is toast.

RJgVBael.jpg

I have no idea what happened to it. ???

YellowBoss said:
I was also having some issues that may turn out to be the slave cylinder again, not sure but another 302S owner with the same clutch as mine is having issues also.

What kind of issues?

SmittyTX, are you running a 302S? The reason I ask is your tranny has 26 spline input, correct? I'm pricing a clutch unit out for the MT-82, which has a 23 spline input shaft and so far it's not a pretty picture. Nearly twice the price. I'm trying to find out from Exedy why it is so much more.

smittytx said:

What kind of issues?

The throwout bearing in this unit will not hold up too well under race conditions. I hear the Grand Am teams are changing them every three to four races before they go bad. I know one team lost the bearing at Barber. Having said that I have not toasted a bearing yet to my knowledge. Last time it was replaced it was leaking at the fitting. When that happened the clutch would not fully engaged. It was like if I only pressed the pedal one quarter of the way down and shifted, it would grind into the next gear.

The problem I am having now is not the throwout again since there is no noise. I am thinking some kind of hydraulic failure again. When it was installed it grabbed very high, now it grabs almost at the floor and I was having some of the same type of issues as above. Maybe someone here has an idea.

What were your symptoms you had before the failure? any noise?

I'm running the Hyper Single in mine, no complaints. I had to replace my first one due to an oil leak that got into the clutch. I just pulled my trans today because all of my hyd fluid dripped out from my bell housing. The clutch is in good shape but the slave cylinder is toast.

smittytx said:
Make sure you use the correct T.O. bearing with that clutch. Its not the one that came with the car. If Dean at Rehagen installed that clutch, he put in the correct T.O. Its not the one that came with that GT500 clutch (stock 302S clutch). I'm not sure what its out of, but its shorter.

What kind of issues?

OK, after a little research Exedy does not make a Hyper Single Clutch assembly for the Boss with the MT-82 tranny. I did offer up my car to be the first for their "Free Clutch" program if one becomes available. :)

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
wwilde001 said:
OK, after a little research Exedy does not make a Hyper Single Clutch assembly for the Boss with the MT-82 tranny. I did offer up my car to be the first for their "Free Clutch" program if one becomes available. :)
so they offer it for the GTs? if so it would be the same clutch and will work in the boss

No, they only offer it for the 10T input shaft and a 26T input shaft. I know the T-82 has a 23T input shaft. I am pretty sure the T6060 has a 26T input shaft, not sure about the Tremec tranny though. Hopefully there will be enough interest where they will start offering one. If I wanted a dual disc, they are available from several manufacturers.

TMO Supporting Vendors