The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Exedy Mach 500 (clutch)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I come from a drag racing background, we never broke in anything, 9400rpm and sidestep the clutch, it was sink or swim..
And thats what happens sometimes at the deal ship, a few burnouts in the storage lot. Come on, young kid getting minimum wage, give him keys, yee ha!
I'm not saying it happens to all cars but there hass probably been a minimum of 8 people that have moved your car before you bought it and maybe more.
When a hot rod like these come in, a lot of people like to take it for a spin around the lot. Now if it is a custom ordered car the salesman may be more protective of his sale.

I put the Exedy Mach 500 in last year with the lightened steel flywheel. I did my best to "baby it". No pulls to redline, no launching off the line. Otherwise, try to get as many "easy" shifts in as possible. Maybe it is not necessary with an organic clutch, but the last thing I would want is to glaze the surface of a brand-new clutch/flywheel, and waste the money I just spent on parts/labor!! BTW, I probably waited until 300-400 non-highway miles before progressively opening it up more and more. I was very anxious to see if it had cured the high-rpm lockout issues and the funny feeling clutch pedal after running through a few gears at WOT. It did. :)

Yeah I did aprox. 750 miles before opening it up. No stand still launches but red line shift and now it works like it was supposed to from the beginning.
Exactly!! Glad to hear it's all good now!

Ugh, sorry to hear that. I did have the Cobra Jet pulse ring installed with the new clutch kit, even though the rev-limit is still stock.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
The crank sensor can get dirty from clutch materials and other Sh--tuff. I pulled mine when I had issues a replaced it. The relearn was an issue. I had to have it done twice. After that, no codes. That was 5 years ago.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
The crank sensor can get dirty from clutch materials and other Sh--tuff. I pulled mine when I had issues a replaced it. The relearn was an issue. I had to have it done twice. After that, no codes. That was 5 years ago.
Just changed mine last weekend. The magnetic end attracts anything metallic, and the end was filthy from the clutch failure. Didn’t even think to clean/replace it when I swapped transmissions. Started having random misfire codes last track day - $20 for a Motorcraft replacement & crank relearn on the SCT X4. Test flight on Saturday at Buttonwillow.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
You can resurface a 5.0l MT6 flywheel if certain parameters are met.

Some of those items are: Minimum thickness is maintained, Flywheel is not cracked, etc.

Thanks guys, good info. Blew my clutch up at Heartland park this weekend, so gathering parts to put it back together. I'm going to send the transmission to Ben Calimer for a Stage 1 while it's out. Trans isn't broken (whines a lot), but I want to make sure I only take this apart once. I'm on the fence about going with a new flywheel or surfacing the old. Part of me wants to save the money, while the other part says replace everything while it's apart!

Ben recommended this Mach 500 Stage 1, so I will most likely go with it based on that and the positive reviews I have read as well.

Thanks guys, good info. Blew my clutch up at Heartland park this weekend, so gathering parts to put it back together. I'm going to send the transmission to Ben Calimer for a Stage 1 while it's out. Trans isn't broken (whines a lot), but I want to make sure I only take this apart once. I'm on the fence about going with a new flywheel or surfacing the old. Part of me wants to save the money, while the other part says replace everything while it's apart!

Ben recommended this Mach 500 Stage 1, so I will most likely go with it based on that and the positive reviews I have read as well.
I'm super happy with the clutch. I noticed that the springs on the clutch plate rattles at some RPMs but I don't bother.

I just replaced the stock clutch at 100,000 miles on my 2012 Boss.
Exedy Mach 500 clutch
Exedy lightened flywheel
Ford stock slave cylinder
Ford stainless steel clutch line
MGW shifter
After everything is installed it feels like the clutch is not fully disengaging. Reverse is impossible to get into. 1st is almost impossible and second is tough. Very confused on what may be wrong. With the engine off shifter works fine. Clutch pressure feels good but a little softer than I thought it should with this clutch.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors