The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sfo
Do you guys considering or running E85 think about how ethanol burns colerless in a fire and what kind of fire fighting equipment you have on board or in the paddock? Don't some groups not allow E85?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Do you guys considering or running E85 think about how ethanol burns colerless in a fire and what kind of fire fighting equipment you have on board or in the paddock? Don't some groups not allow E85?
SCCA allows e85 in only two classes. ITE and SP. NASA allows it everywhere as do oval tracks and drag racing etc. it’s far less volatile than gasoline so it’s harder to light and burns much more slowly than gasoline so in these ways it’s far safer. I have had to burn spilled e85 and it was not completely colorless like Methanol Is. E85 is ethanol and gasoline so it does burn with some color while straight ethanol may not.

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
What I really need is a volunteer to help me get this motor out....I just HATES wrenchin'.
were you waiting for me to read this??

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
were you waiting for me to read this??
I dunno...are you volunteering?
I just thought that now you're a couple you'd have better things to do than listen to me go on and on about how things need to be....

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego
My firsthand experience says that e85 doesn't completely burn colorless, and you'll know where it's burning, it'll be plenty hot.
A standard type B+C extinguisher should be enough, or if you are using a system, the AFF (aqueous fighting foam) should more than suffice just fine.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Okay, now we know.
I believe what we are seeing is the gasoline in the e85 burning with some color.
I poured this right out of my fuel jug so no doubt about the contents.
Notice how it doesn't just go "woof" and flash into total mayhem.....it burns more slowly, similar to lighter fluid.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
In addition, when you use e85 it is a good idea to add top lube. I add it straight into the tank as I add fuel so it’s always the correct amount and any unused e85 stays pure until I add fuel next time. Top lube is an oil, which will further color the flame so I’m not the least bit worried about seeing the fire. The fuel in the previous video was pure e85 and contained no top lube. I was going to do a gasoline video for context but apparently my generator ate it all up at the last race.

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
I dunno...are you volunteering?
I just thought that now you're a couple you'd have better things to do than listen to me go on and on about how things need to be....
wrenching is always a top priority. also since i wake up usually a few hours earlier than amber it gives me something to do in the mornings while she sleeps in

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
wrenching is always a top priority. also since i wake up usually a few hours earlier than amber it gives me something to do in the mornings while she sleeps in
If you have a desire to work on this thing with me I could use the help.

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
If you have a desire to work on this thing with me I could use the help.
you know how to reach me, let me know when and where. why and how not necessary. i already got those answers last time lol

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
you know how to reach me, let me know when and where. why and how not necessary. i already got those answers last time lol
Well at least you now know that all my picky little things do matter, and that they do work, so I'm not picky for nothing. You have seen the results first hand. For you the benefit is, if you learn all the those little things then you can do it too. And if you learn the right mindset, and it is a mindset, you can do what I have done or even be better at it. BUT, you gotta wade through all the little details until the light goes off in your head....and then you get it.
I have trained many many successful racers, fabricators and car builders and many of them have become business owners and instructors.....so the system works....if you work my system.
Think of it as a sort of "Mr. Mayagi" of race car fab.

the_Karate_Kid_Mr_Miyagi-640x321.jpg

Last edited:

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
Well at least you now know that all my picky little things do matter, and that they do work, so I'm not picky for nothing. You have seen the results first hand. For you the benefit is, if you learn all the those little things then you can do it too. And if you learn the right mindset, and it is a mindset, you can do what I have done or even be better at it. BUT, you gotta wade through all the little details until the light goes off in your head....and then you get it.
I have trained many many successful racers, fabricators and car builders and many of them have become business owners and instructors.....so the system works....if you work my system.
I'm sort of the "Mr. Miagai" of race car fab...remember that movie?
weld on, weld off? er....

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SFRLaguna-281 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SFRLaguna-race 8.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SFRLaguna-Race # 8.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pace car.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
This is before the larger wingplates right?
Yes, this was the beginning of the season.
A photographer contacted me and said he had pics of my car so I have been getting them from him and editing them one by one.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
They were all taken as a wider shot so I tweaked them a bit.

SFRLaguna-268-2.jpgSFRLaguna-268-2 - Copy (2).jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Whoops...whats this?

IMG_3469.jpgIMG_3473.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel