The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
My alter ego....SCCA vs. NASA.

93482584-_RJP0036.JPG
4Q1A3364.jpg

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Lots done, lots more to go.
Gonna be another 7 day week…..how many is that in a row now...? I seem to have lost count.1f61e.png
#SometimesIthinkIlivehere

294063335_415243570571099_3820756451101506947_n.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Got a lot done today, Will do more tomorrow.
I swapped out my Moroso degas tank for a Ford Racing unit that I got from @Albino500
(That guy has everything in that shed of his……its like the Fort Knox of Race Car Parts)
The Ford Racing tank takes a regular radiator cap unlike like the stock bottle/Moroso tank which only accepts a factory 16 psi cap.
Regular caps can be had in a variety of pressure ratings. Back in the day we ran 22 psi caps on our stock cars.
This week I was able to obtain a 30# cap from Summit, so that would be...more. So more it is. I like more.
I welded in a bung for an A/N hose that bleeds air from the top of the water neck.
I also welded up the purge line that bleeds air from the top of the radiator and re drilled it 1/8" to bleed air, but slow the flow of hot water.
Once installed I ran the electric water pump with the motor off and let it bleed for a few minutes.
Air pockets don't happen like they do with the stock setup....just fill the system and it self bleeds. Boom-done.
I also don't use a thermostat. I just turn the toggle off on the electric water pump and warm the motor.
As soon a I see the temp gauge start to move I flick it on. Instant thermostat and no air pockets.
I also ran an A/N line to a catch can as per NASA/SCCA rules. (I used a Nalgene container)
A hose clamp under the cap keeps it from shooting out of the catch can in the unlikely event that water somehow pushes past the 30# cap.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

I'll polish up the aluminum tank sometime later to make it look pretty, but for now this is going to have to be good enough.
Plenty more to be done still.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I also installed a proportioning valve to limit pressure to the front brakes .
I have way too much front brake bias and it's killing my front tires not to mention it makes braking on turn entry a crap shoot and that sucks.
I installed a couple pressure gauges, one front and one rear caliper to see what the pressure delta is.
When I bleed the brakes I'll use the new valve to lower front brake pressure by 200# to start. (Where is my pedal pumper when I need one?)
I'll use the other valve I previously installed in the rear to fine tune the balance on track as I have a knob inside the car that controls it via flexible cable.
(See earlier post with pics and details on how I did this)
I put the front valve right above the ABS delete block so its accessible from under the hood and again, I'll fine tune the rear with the knob inside the car while on track.
There is no ABS since the Coyote Control pack doesn't talk to the 3V electronics so this is my idea of a work around. Just an ABS delete block and a couple pressure valves for fine tuning.
We'll see how well that works next week at Laguna....wish me luck.

IMG_4981.jpgIMG_4982.jpgIMG_4974.jpgIMG_4979.jpgIMG_4975.jpg274738733_326445142784276_893559289975821014_n.jpg

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Some new pieces from CorteX Racing.
Competition sway bar, trailing arms and drop brackets.
Looking to pick up some mid corner speed.
Another 12 hour day, I'm pooped. I'll finish up stuff this coming week.

294122927_415952313833558_5260306023982230293_n.jpg
294148394_415952353833554_6272843912765076302_n.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Cortex competition sway bar? Awesome!

*opens wallet*

Sigh.
Well we'll see...I don't normally like a rear sway bar but Filip swears by it and both @ArizonaBOSS and @captdistraction run these so I thought I'd give it a try.
This setup adds the sway bar, raises the rear roll center, flattens out the trailing arms a couple degrees and adds 50# of spring rate.
All things I don't want to do....but, hey...Filip is a smart guy so I'm taking his advise. If I don't like it I can change it back easily enough, but its definitely smart to give it a try.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Well we'll see...I don't normally like a rear sway bar but Filip swears by it and both @ArizonaBOSS and @captdistraction run these so I thought I'd give it a try.
This setup adds the sway bar, raises the rear roll center, flattens out the trailing arms a couple degrees and adds 50# of spring rate.
All things I don't want to do....but, hey...Filip is a smart guy so I'm taking his advise. If I don't like it I can change it back easily enough, but its definitely smart to give it a try.
That was my actual question behind the snark. No rear sway was definitely an improvement on mine but I know @ArizonaBOSS runs this and the number of people who can argue with Filip is probably in the single digits. Definitely interested to hear your thoughts on this once you've tested it.

Also want to say that I really appreciate the level of detail in all your posts. Any time I have a question I just go back through this thread and you've already done it and tested it in real time instead of just relying on others (which is what I do...).

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
That was my actual question behind the snark. No rear sway was definitely an improvement on mine but I know @ArizonaBOSS runs this and the number of people who can argue with Filip is probably in the single digits. Definitely interested to hear your thoughts on this once you've tested it.

Also want to say that I really appreciate the level of detail in all your posts. Any time I have a question I just go back through this thread and you've already done it and tested it in real time instead of just relying on others (which is what I do...).
Happy to help....if nothing else you can learn from my mistakes.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Seeing your pictures gets my “impatient meter” pegged at 10!!! I have one of these sway bars coming with the coilovers. You mention the trailing arms being more level - I assume from the drop brackets having a higher hole than what you had before?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Seeing your pictures gets my “impatient meter” pegged at 10!!! I have one of these sway bars coming with the coilovers. You mention the trailing arms being more level - I assume from the drop brackets having a higher hole than what you had before?
Yes I was using the maximum Motorsports brackets that have 3 holes very close together. The hole I used is right between the two holes on the cortex bracket so the angle is 2.5 degrees instead of 4*.

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
i know where to get the stickers, im just saying i dont have any

fabman also had me do a lightweight leg day sesh yesterday with those brakes

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
i know where to get the stickers, im just saying i dont have any

fabman also had me do a lightweight leg day sesh yesterday with those brakes
Just think, some people pay a gym membership to do leg presses....you got to do that for free!
Plus....you are one of the damn few people to sit in that seat so...that's gotta be worth something.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors