The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Fabman's build; How did we get here? Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Taking it easy. Na- that looked smooth and fast.
Tires were still full of mold release so very slippery. Takes a few laps to get them scuffed off and up to temp. Usually around lap 4 or 5 is the fastest.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
One thing I don't miss about having a full blown Racecar, I can take the Mach 1 out and scuff those tires on the street before going to the track . I get rid of all that slimy mold release and they are up to snuff, ready to hammer on lap one! Of course the downside is the car is slower, the thrill of running door to door and passing under pressure is gone, and ..................crap, I am going to miss that Racecar!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Full qualifying session:

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I just changed the fluid. It’s better, but still grinds a lot. Gonna have to do synchros or dog rings soon. Let’s see if it holds together tomorrow.
Which gear(s) is clashing? My guess is 3rd. 2nd gear already has carbon synchros, 3rd and 4th are hybrid metal/carbon that just aren’t up to the 7,500+ rpm shifts IMO.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Which gear(s) is clashing? My guess is 3rd. 2nd gear already has carbon synchros, 3rd and 4th are hybrid metal/carbon that just aren’t up to the 7,500+ rpm shifts IMO.
Yeah mostly 3rd/4th but sometimes second too, even on low rpm shifts.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
We were the second fastest car of the weekend overall with a 1:45.0. (Behind a Super Unlimited)
I had no competition and nothing to gain so I tucked the good tires away for Nationals and put some old scuffs on for the race.
We received the hard charger award both days, moving up 17 places through a sea of Bimers and Corvettes from way back in the field.
Good times!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Jeezzz,,,, so pleased we have the same engine!!! Whats with the flock of bimmers?? Hordes of them. Enjoyed seeing the vettes getting creamed in.... braking, acceleration, cornering.... in every thing!!
It was a NASA event. They do things totally different than SCCA.
I was the second fastest car of the weekend so that put me on the pole....for my class....which was in the very back. They do split starts so the cars leave by class in waves....being the last wave to leave we had the leaders almost at our heals by the time I saw a green. Then the chasing them down part begins.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
It was a NASA event. They do things totally different than SCCA.
I was the second fastest car of the weekend so that put me on the pole....for my class....which was in the very back. They do split starts so the cars leave by class in waves....being the last wave to leave we had the leaders almost at our heals by the time I saw a green. Then the chasing them down part begins.
If you have the car for it, sounds fun!! If not that really sucks!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
If you have the car for it, sounds fun!! If not that really sucks!
It’s weird, that’s for sure. Probably won’t do much with them next year if at all.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Geez, Fab, all you could say originally was how much fun you had passing everyone, and yet now you say you may not do much with NASA next year. I find that confusing, and having run both SCCA and NASA, I actually enjoy the NASA splitting of Classes, which is similar to how IMSA does a race. It is not always done , but when the groups are split drivers like you have a riot.
It is one of the things I will miss about W2W, since threading your way thought the crowd , especially with your competitors at your heels, mean tactics, focus and track awareness become even more important. Hope you reconsider and keep your Frankenstang careening through the crowd because the videos are so fun to watch.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Geez, Fab, all you could say originally was how much fun you had passing everyone, and yet now you say you may not do much with NASA next year. I find that confusing, and having run both SCCA and NASA, I actually enjoy the NASA splitting of Classes, which is similar to how IMSA does a race. It is not always done , but when the groups are split drivers like you have a riot.
It is one of the things I will miss about W2W, since threading your way thought the crowd , especially with your competitors at your heels, mean tactics, focus and track awareness become even more important. Hope you reconsider and keep your Frankenstang careening through the crowd because the videos are so fun to watch.
No I don’t like it at all. Why beat up my car and tires with no chance of winning the overall? Also the qualifying races, just don’t like all that stuff. SCCA you start the race where you qualified regardless of class and the grid is based on todays time, not the last race finish.
I’m tired of being one of the fastest cars and starting in the 60th spot and tip toeing through all the squids. Screw that.

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
No I don’t like it at all. Why beat up my car and tires with no chance of winning the overall? Also the qualifying races, just don’t like all that stuff. SCCA you start the race where you qualified regardless of class and the grid is based on todays time, not the last race finish.
I’m tired of being one of the fastest cars and starting in the 60th spot and tip towing through all the squids. Screw that.
Sounds squirrelly to me. Grids should be the result of that given day, not something from the past. But, I do like Calamari!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Guess I have done both ways, and luckily it is never the same with NASA when I ran, but I can understand your frustration. I have done an inverted field with some SCCA Regions in years past and I just found most of the racing fun, but I definitely get the idea of being first Overall --- that has been a goal of mine at times in the past too. Didn't think of it that way, but I see your point.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Guess I have done both ways, and luckily it is never the same with NASA when I ran, but I can understand your frustration. I have done an inverted field with some SCCA Regions in years past and I just found most of the racing fun, but I definitely get the idea of being first Overall --- that has been a goal of mine at times in the past too. Didn't think of it that way, but I see your point.
Also tire wear, I need to count heat cycles as I run multiple sets during the weekend of various compounds and all this throws a big monkey wrench into my program. I usually need 3 sets. One for practice one to qualify and one to race. Now I bring 4 sets and it’s not enough.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel