The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

First HPDE today and the car started running hot??? Ac was on

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
I was just at a Chin Weekend at Sebring. Temps outside were around 85F. I was running the A/C while sitting on the grid just to be comfortable. Forgot to turn it off. Once on the track maybe 5 laps into the session, the engine started governing itself at around 5000 rpm. I was at WOT and when it hit 5000 RPM it just cut the power and barely accelerated further. No warning lights, all gauges were normal , cylinder head temp was showing 217F. I was like “WTF”!.
that's rookie numbers you have to pump this numbers up. My S550 usually run 240F CHT when it's running. It vorries me a bit but never was governing itself just minor pull in timing. Also A/C off/on doesn't matter I leave the air on but turn the A/C off (only started doing that at 400 or so laps though). The S550 base will need a bigger radiator to coop with track driving.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
The instructor may have meant to say "turn on your heat". Some folks think that the heater is another small radiator to help out the main one. They point the vents away from the driver.

I don't know if that's enough to help much, but I DO know that an auxiliary oil cooler will!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Ran the heater on full blast on a Summer day with a temp of 102, because running bumper to bumper in Spec Miatas we were all running hot, hot, hot. That was back when most of us had not purchased cool suits and we all came in looking like lobsters --- surprised no one got heat exhaustion but we had been drinking gallons of water.

Instructing with my helmet on, loud Mustang exhaust music in my ears, one does not always notice the AC is on, especially since it kicks out under full power, hence I plead the 5th. Tracy was fast, even with the AC on, and a driver awareness lesson was learned, heh,he!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Instructing with my helmet on, loud Mustang exhaust music in my ears, one does not always notice the AC is on, especially since it kicks out under full power, hence I plead the 5th. Tracy was fast, even with the AC on, and a driver awareness lesson was learned, heh,he!
Bill, just admit you had a senior moment and move past it. 😀

Those senior moments for Bill happen from time to time........But in between He knows what He's doing......doesn't that sound reassuring.........I'm sticking up for you Buddy!!!!!!!!......just kidding.........I 'm getting probably more of those moments than you............

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Oh, I have plenty of Senior moments, yet car and track awareness is one of the key principles with NASA's program, and often ( if not a safety issue ) making small mistakes like this help drivers check things better. TMS is fast and I have to bet he has never failed to turn off his A/C since then, ha, ha.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Oh, I have plenty of Senior moments, yet car and track awareness is one of the key principles with NASA's program, and often ( if not a safety issue ) making small mistakes like this help drivers check things better. TMS is fast and I have to bet he has never failed to turn off his A/C since then, ha, ha.
Nope. After that day, I put a label inside the car which says A/C off? There is a second label which says. “Fuel?” But that’s another story from another track. Can’t blame that one on Bill. All I will say is that having a car buck from lack of fuel going through the carousel at Road America can create its own memory. I did make it off track. I did not make it up the hill into the pits. Don’t trust a fuel gauge.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
After losing races on three seperate occasions due to that idiotic saddleback tank ( not a real pony Ford ) I installed a fuel cell, and that ended the poor fuel pick up if the tank was down around 4 gallons. Keeping a full tank in a Mustang is a lesson learned by all of us at some point. Like Crazy Chapeau, losing a race is really frustrating when it all comes down to out of gas or fighting pick up!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel