The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Biggsy’s Track Build Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Solid build and looks like you found some of the site Sponsors , current or past, when you did your first project -- Apex, Vorshlag, MGW.

Your car is my wife's favorite color, or at least what she recommended I get for my next Mustang. That was an interesting comment as I had not even mentioned I wanted another one, haha!

Monaca Pa
Solid build and looks like you found some of the site Sponsors , current or past, when you did your first project -- Apex, Vorshlag, MGW.

Your car is my wife's favorite color, or at least what she recommended I get for my next Mustang. That was an interesting comment as I had not even mentioned I wanted another one, haha!
She knows you well 😁

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Hello all and hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving. I figured I could use my last evening of this thanksgiving break to update my thread here.

This year was my first time participating in track events. I attended 3 track cross events (2x Summit Point and 1x Dominion) and 1 HPDE day at Summit point in August with Auto Interests. I never knew how much fun I could have with my car and even months later, I still haven't come down from that high. After my first track cross event, driving on the street was never the same again lol. I still have A LOT to learn in terms of driving skills and car knowledge/mechanical skills. I can follow a YouTube video, but there are some things that I would like to know more about cars.

My track set up was 19x11 MRR M600 wrapped in 305/30/19 RE-71Rs and man I've never sat in a car with tires like that. It was great to see the benefit of all the suspension work I had done to the car come into play with the addition of the added grip from the tires. My pads of choice were GLOC R12/R10 and OEM rotors.

The track season started off pretty late for most people so the only things I did after my previous posts were mount splitter rods to the crash bar and change out the front sway bar end links from Steeda to SPL Parts. The grease fitting on the steeda links were putting a dent in my struts so I got something with a smaller joint.

For the track cross, I ran in the novice group and by my third event I was in the top 5 fastest times so there wa improvement. The only thing about it, is that because there is no instructor, there wasn't any corrective guidance. I had an instructor for my DE event and that was truly eye opening. I ran at Summit Main and by the end of the day I was the understanding threshold braking, turn in, using the entire track, and looking ahead. Going forward, I would like to work on H/T downshifting (purchased SRP pedals to help) because I stayed in 5th the whole time and staying on the line. It started raining for my last session that day so that was a fun experience.

I ended my season early because I now know what all it takes physically and more importantly financially to do this. Now I can prepare better for the spring and participate in events of my choosing. This year, I was just throwing money as things came up, whether it was needed or not so now I can gauge the budget for next year. Student loans still have to get paid lol.

For next year I have plan to make the following changes:
Racing seat and harness
ST43 pads (longer life than GLOC)
Apex 18x11 EC-7 in bronze with GY SC3 295/30/18 (save over $100 per tire over the 19" option)
OP Mustang GT4 extended studs
25mm spacer
separate clutch reservoir

As of right now I plan to do VIR at least twice next year with one being the beginning of June with Chin Track Days and one at Watkins Glen if I can get a towing vehicle by that time. Hoping to get 15 events in next year.

Sorry for the scattered thoughts, but I'm just trying to summarize the past 6 months. Thanks for reading !

1606698827152.jpeg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Raleigh, NC
Hello all and hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving. I figured I could use my last evening of this thanksgiving break to update my thread here.

This year was my first time participating in track events. I attended 3 track cross events (2x Summit Point and 1x Dominion) and 1 HPDE day at Summit point in August with Auto Interests. I never knew how much fun I could have with my car and even months later, I still haven't come down from that high. After my first track cross event, driving on the street was never the same again lol. I still have A LOT to learn in terms of driving skills and car knowledge/mechanical skills. I can follow a YouTube video, but there are some things that I would like to know more about cars.

My track set up was 19x11 MRR M600 wrapped in 305/30/19 RE-71Rs and man I've never sat in a car with tires like that. It was great to see the benefit of all the suspension work I had done to the car come into play with the addition of the added grip from the tires. My pads of choice were GLOC R12/R10 and OEM rotors.

The track season started off pretty late for most people so the only things I did after my previous posts were mount splitter rods to the crash bar and change out the front sway bar end links from Steeda to SPL Parts. The grease fitting on the steeda links were putting a dent in my struts so I got something with a smaller joint.

For the track cross, I ran in the novice group and by my third event I was in the top 5 fastest times so there wa improvement. The only thing about it, is that because there is no instructor, there wasn't any corrective guidance. I had an instructor for my DE event and that was truly eye opening. I ran at Summit Main and by the end of the day I was the understanding threshold braking, turn in, using the entire track, and looking ahead. Going forward, I would like to work on H/T downshifting (purchased SRP pedals to help) because I stayed in 5th the whole time and staying on the line. It started raining for my last session that day so that was a fun experience.

I ended my season early because I now know what all it takes physically and more importantly financially to do this. Now I can prepare better for the spring and participate in events of my choosing. This year, I was just throwing money as things came up, whether it was needed or not so now I can gauge the budget for next year. Student loans still have to get paid lol.

For next year I have plan to make the following changes:
Racing seat and harness
ST43 pads (longer life than GLOC)
Apex 18x11 EC-7 in bronze with GY SC3 295/30/18 (save over $100 per tire over the 19" option)
OP Mustang GT4 extended studs
25mm spacer
separate clutch reservoir

As of right now I plan to do VIR at least twice next year with one being the beginning of June with Chin Track Days and one at Watkins Glen if I can get a towing vehicle by that time. Hoping to get 15 events in next year.

Sorry for the scattered thoughts, but I'm just trying to summarize the past 6 months. Thanks for reading !

View attachment 60154
Hope to see you at VIR with Chin in June! I’ve been to that event the last 2 years, it’s beautiful out there.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I have been putting a lot of work into my 4Runner over the winter months but not much to update.

I had a dead clutch pedal back in November and I was unable to change gears. It seemed as though the clutch master cylinder went bad or the TOB. Fortunately I am still under warranty and those parts are covered so its at the dealership now. They told me they would have to drop the transmission so I took this time to upgrade the clutch and save on labor fees down the road. I went with the Exedy Hyper Single since it is still a street car(for now) and I got an amazing deal from Beefcake so it was hard to pass up. I am hoping to get it back this week but with the snow, it may be delayed. Im hoping to get all my track stuff (Quickfit pro, tires, wheels) in order to make it out to Summit Point with NASA in April.

1612143324972.jpeg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
So I got my car back yesterday with the Hyper Single in and it feels completely different. The TOB was binding so that was replaced and the clutch master cylinder.

This is the first manual car that I have owned and driven on more than one occasion therefore I cannot compare the clutch feel to anything else other than a NSX I drove a couple weeks ago. With this Hyper Single I noticed the engagement point is much much higher than that of the stock clutch and requires more effort. From what I read online, that is normal and I just have to relearn how to drive my car. I have stalled a couple times at a light trying to find that sweet spot. I am still learning a lot of things mechanically so I dont know what is normal and what isn't.

Two things I have noticed and wonder if it is normal:
  • In first and second I can feel more vibration in the shifter above 5k
  • When I slow down in first and try to quickly put the car in reverse, it gets locked out. There is something (assuming flywheel/engine?) still spinning that I have to wait for it to slow down before I can change into reverse.
Thanks for the help!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Frankly, with most clutches they state right in the instructions to work them in , so in other words the suggestion is to drive normal and not hammer on them for a bit. Just questioning when you are asking about revs over 5K , how high are you taking it between shifts? Just my personal suggestion , be a bit easy on it initially and go back and read what the break in instructions are?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Frankly, with most clutches they state right in the instructions to work them in , so in other words the suggestion is to drive normal and not hammer on them for a bit. Just questioning when you are asking about revs over 5K , how high are you taking it between shifts? Just my personal suggestion , be a bit easy on it initially and go back and read what the break in instructions are?
Thanks for the response Bill. I have not been hammering on it but I have been shifting between 5k - 6k. I did shift near 7 twice but nothing crazy. I will just continue to break it in with normal driving as the instruction states and report back if I notice anything getting worse or the same. It will just take some time because its not my daily and the bipolar weather here so I dont drive more than 500 in a month.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
The break in instructions I had with my HyperSingle were to drive it in a lot of stop and go traffic for *I think* a thousand kliks. They seem to want lots of stop/starts to break in the friction material. This was pretty difficult in the middle of summer with the A/C removed. I wondered how you could actually do that if you had a full on race car? Mine is still street legal. Sort of....

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Not much of an update but to keep this thread current:
  • I got stock hubs and ARP bolts to be pressed in.
  • Went with Apex 25mm spacers. I dont know if other companies have the same feature, but the Apex spacer has cut outs for a screwdriver if they get stuck on the hub.
  • I got my SP2 19x11 mounted on GYSC3.
  • I've had SRP pedals in the trunk off my car since last year so I decided to stop being lazy and do the gas pedal at least. I need to borrow a drill and carbide bits to do the clutch and brake pedals.
  • Also added the Quick Fit Pro until I go roll bar and fixed seat next year.
  • (Not pictured) I switched out the SPL Parts front end links for Whiteline.
Due to life and work I haven't been able to make it out for a track day yet but im hoping for VIR with MVP in a couple of weeks.

IMG_1910.JPG

IMG_1907.JPGIMG_1911.JPG

IMG_1862.JPG

IMG_1933.JPG

IMG_1758.JPG

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Attended my first event of the year last Monday with Auto Interest at Summit Point Main. It was my second HPDE event ever and I throughly enjoyed it. Weather was great and there were only 9 cars in my group. It took me a session or 2 to find my rhythm and by the third session I was able to apply different skills like heel toe and driving the correct lines. I ended up passing quite a few cars in my group. Auto Interest gives out awards for Novice group drivers and I won the Most Improved driver of the day. I qualified to the novice-Solo which was my objective for the day. I did however make a rookie mistake and ran out of gas in my last session with the instructor. Next time I wont go by the "Miles til empty" on the dash. Being that I qualified for solo group, I was able to participate in the Open track session and it was amazing to have self confidence out there without an instructor. I kept up with a 911 for the most part thouguhtout the laps. In the sessions with the instructor, my best time was 1:33 and in the open session I managed to do a 1:29. I think I underestimated the grip in the tires so I was a bit slow getting out of the corners and could've brakes harder and shorter when approaching turns (threshold braking). I was able to walk away with me in one piece and same for my car so overall great day! I am hoping to get out there again first or third week in September. I think I can get a 1:25 before the year is over. Next thing I'll probably do will be to get the Trackspec center vent and clutch pedal extender because of hood buffering and ergonomics.
With Instructor:
IMG_2200.JPG
Without Instructor:
IMG_2220.PNG

IMG_2222.JPGIMG_2187.JPG

IMG_2208.JPG

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
My camera died on my fastest lap of the day but here is a video of the fastest one I recorded. Better quality videos will come soon. Trying to figure out some stuff with the car and hope to be back at Summit in September with CCC.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
I posted this in the TMO group on FB but doesnt hurt to get more feedback:

Need some feedback…

Last week Monday I ran out of gas on the track (I know rookie mistake) and the tow truck came and put less than half a gallon of 87 so I could make it to the pits and to the pump. Filled the tank with 93. Went out for next session and check engine light flashed twice and then went off. I was black flagged because a lot of smoke came out my exhaust.

Came off the track and nothing in the engine was smelling or sounding off. Didn’t see the smoke anymore. I drove back home (66miles) with no issues whatsoever as though nothing happened. A week later and about 30 miles since i got home nothing seems off. Before I take it to the track again I just want to be sure everything is good even though it seems like it.

Do you think the CEL and the smoke had to do with 87 on a 93 tube? One person says it sounds like a blown engine yet the car drives perfect.

Thanks for any feedback

UPDATE FROM FB POST:

as of today still I don’t see smoke. The smoke on the track was white and I’m still waiting for video from the car behind me. I never saw it in the first place because it wasn’t coming from the hood. I checked the engine bay every day this week and it’s as dry/clean as it can be. I know of the valve cover issue and that guys put the GT500 covers as an upgrade. It is one of the things I will do over the winter as insurance. I discovered a week later that I actually left a caliper hanger/hook on when I was prepping for my event. I don’t know how it lasted a whole track day still there. heard something drop and saw it under the car. Being that everything seems to be perfect, what should I check so I can go into my next event worry free?

Thanks again for any help!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Nope. When I checked it said Freeze Frame.
I took my car into the dealer a week before the event for a broken rear ABS washer which caused all sort of lights like ABS, power steering fault, etc. I was told I would most likely have the freeze frame code. Didn’t check for codes until after this event so I can’t confirm if the freeze frame was prior to or after the event

TMO Supporting Vendors