The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Performance Racing Hubs - beware if you have Magneride Damping System!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
If you are considering getting racing hubs for your PP2 or Mach 1 with the Magneride suspension be aware that many of the aftermarket companies will list the set as available ( M-1104-AB ) and it is not compatible. The Mustang front hub assembly appears to have changed effective March 1, 2021 to a hub similar to the one on the Mach 1 or vehicles with Magneride. The problem is this hub ( Mach 1 or Magneride ) does not appear to be listed with Ford Performance , though it suspiciously looks like a GT 350 set up. A GT 350 hub is not to be found in a Ford Performance catalog or online either. Chasing stuff down for a week or more, I have been unable to verify if the GT 350 hub and the Mach 1 or Magneride vehicle's hubs are the same. I have a suspicion a part number change ( they often get superseded or slightly changed for different models ) may be making it difficult to detect, but this is just fair warning not to order a front hub believing it will work if you have Magneride or a Mach 1.

Note: This may not even be a problem for others as I notified numerous aftermarket suppliers many may use and told them their computer configurator stating this part Inwould work needs changing. Interestingly some will show a hub from a 2015 to a 2019 and once you call they will tell you they have just not updated their system, but since the hub did appear to change after 3/1/2021 it seems realistic a new racing hub is too new. The only odd thing is why isn't there one for a GT 350?

In the V6L
If you are considering getting racing hubs for your PP2 or Mach 1 with the Magneride suspension be aware that many of the aftermarket companies will list the set as available ( M-1104-AB ) and it is not compatible. The Mustang front hub assembly appears to have changed effective March 1, 2021 to a hub similar to the one on the Mach 1 or vehicles with Magneride. The problem is this hub ( Mach 1 or Magneride ) does not appear to be listed with Ford Performance , though it suspiciously looks like a GT 350 set up. A GT 350 hub is not to be found in a Ford Performance catalog or online either. Chasing stuff down for a week or more, I have been unable to verify if the GT 350 hub and the Mach 1 or Magneride vehicle's hubs are the same. I have a suspicion a part number change ( they often get superseded or slightly changed for different models ) may be making it difficult to detect, but this is just fair warning not to order a front hub believing it will work if you have Magneride or a Mach 1.

Note: This may not even be a problem for others as I notified numerous aftermarket suppliers many may use and told them their computer configurator stating this part Inwould work needs changing. Interestingly some will show a hub from a 2015 to a 2019 and once you call they will tell you they have just not updated their system, but since the hub did appear to change after 3/1/2021 it seems realistic a new racing hub is too new. The only odd thing is why isn't there one for a GT 350?
I've been watching this situation with interest for a while now. What I've seen is that Ford (not FP) has two different S550 front knuckles, both of which are cast or forged iron (can't tell from pictures). The non-magride parts have a stub axle and the wheel bearing is held on by a big nut on the end of the stub. The M-1104-AB is made for these knuckles. The second version arrived in 2017 or so with magride for the non-FP Mustangs, and it is again an iron knuckle, but this version takes a hub held in place by four bolts, like the GT350. It may well be the same GT350 bearing with a different part number.

All of this is in contrast to the GT350, with its forged aluminum knuckle and four-bolt hub. FP is happy to sell you replacement ARP studs that fit the GT350 hub, but maybe they figured demand wouldn't be sufficient to make it worth pre-installing them into hubs for sale.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
The issue is there are no ARP studs and like you after a lot of digging I came to a similar conclusion that the hub was likely the same as the GT 350 just with another part number. The Ford Tech at Woodhouse Ford in Blair , Ne. ( Joe Janousek) who has set up quite a few TMO trackrat's cars , went over the schematics with me and we both came to the same conclusion you did as noted above. The really interesting part was a notification that as of 3/1/21 the hub changed for all Mustangs to the newer style. Thanks a ton for your detective work and response since it's the first verification we have gotten that there is no actual full replacement. It would be nice , but at present ARP studs are on terminal backorder and I was hoping for a full, beefed up version of the hub anyway. With the sensors for speed and Magneride the Ford drawings make it appear the GT 350 and Mach 1 have the same hub. So in 6 months we may see a part number correction showing both cars part numbers are interchangeable, geez.

I do appreciate your followup answer to my question and I am sure others will also.

Last edited:
In the V6L
The issue is there are no ARP studs and like you after a lot of digging I came to a similar conclusion that the hub was likely the same as the GT 350 just with another part number. The Ford Tech at Woodhouse Ford in Blair , Ne. ( Joe Janousek) who has set up quite a few TMO trackrat's cars , went over the schematics with me and we both came to the same conclusion you did as noted above. The really interesting part was a notification that as of 3/1/21 the hub changed for all Mustangs to the newer style. Thanks a ton for your detective work and response since it's the first verification we have gotten that there is no actual full replacement. It would be nice , but at present ARP studs are on terminal backorder and I was hoping for a full, beefed up version of the hub anyway. With the sensors for speed and Magneride the Ford drawings make it appear the GT 350 and Mach 1 have the same hub. So in 6 months we may see a part number correction showing both cars part numbers are interchangeable, geez.

I do appreciate your followup answer to my question and I am sure others will also.
So, on the front hubs on my 2016 GT350, the lugs - the studs - are the same PN as the lugs on the Ford GT. I wouldn't be surprised if there's been some value engineering since then that might have spawned a new hub part number, or in fact, many new part numbers even if the bearing itself is the same.

TMO Supporting Vendors