The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Racing front hub question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am installing a set of Ford Racing front hubs (S197), and they came with new wheel bearing nuts. The original nuts were a cool design- two pieces, with the nut able to turn independently from the washer. The new ones from Ford are one piece. Since Ford sent new ones, I'm using them.

For those who have done this, doesn't it seem like the original nut is a better design?

I have one weekend on the one piece design with no problems. The real fun was getting the old ones off and making sure that the new install was up to the 250 ft lbs. If and when I have to do again I won't take my torque wrench to the top limit again. Might do 225 and see how much nut rotation happens from 175-200 and 200-225, see if there is a progressive decline or the same and finish off with a bar and cheater pipe the same length as the wrench.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I have one weekend on the one piece design with no problems. The real fun was getting the old ones off and making sure that the new install was up to the 250 ft lbs. If and when I have to do again I won't take my torque wrench to the top limit again. Might do 225 and see how much nut rotation happens from 175-200 and 200-225, see if there is a progressive decline or the same and finish off with a bar and cheater pipe the same length as the wrench.
Why wouldn't you torque it to spec?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Last edited:
Why wouldn't you torque it to spec?
My wrench maxed at 250. The ones I put on are there. I didn't like taking the wrench to the max. The next set will be there also but makes me nervous. I hate to brake a $400 wrench. It's better than a $4000+ wreck though...

I was talking with one of the Porsche guys. They have the center hub that needs 425 ft lbs! You should see that wrench bend. Lol

My wrench maxed at 250. The ones I put on are there. I didn't like taking the wrench to the max. The next set will be there also but makes me nervous. I hate to brake a $400 wrench. It's better than a $4000+ wreck though...

I was talking with one of the Porsche guys. They have the center hub that needs 425 ft lbs! You should see that wrench bend. Lol
been there.. recently

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
No problem pulling max on the torque wrench. You should try torqueing main bearings on a Cummins, Cat or Detroit in the chassis. Dripping oil, wrapped around the front axle and pulling for all you're worth just to here that magical "click", one down and only 13 more to go. That's how they broke you in at the local Cummins shop, 6 months probation and mostly doing rods and mains.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
why? the bar is just sitting on the nut, a shorter bar will need more effort to reach the setting, a longer less, you might have to figure length of the bar, but that would be all.
I'll give you that a standard-length breaker bar might have about a foot of leverage.

But if I weigh 160 lbs and I'm standing on the scale, I'm going to read 160 when not applying any torque to the nut. Seems I'd have to be deadlifting another 250 lbs to properly torque these particular nuts. Or 410 on the scale unless it has a tare function.

Norm

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I'll give you that a standard-length breaker bar might have about a foot of leverage.

But if I weigh 160 lbs and I'm standing on the scale, I'm going to read 160 when not applying any torque to the nut. Seems I'd have to be deadlifting another 250 lbs to properly torque these particular nuts. Or 410 on the scale unless it has a tare function.

Norm
Do you have to take spring rate and roll rate into consideration using the scale method 🤔 ???

you guys are making this way too complicated,

here's another way
if the lug nuts should be tightened to 150 foot-pounds and you weigh 200 pounds, you would stand 9 inches along the breaker bar. Nine inches is ¾ of one foot. The formula looks like this: .75 X 200 = 150-foot pounds.
so to get that 250 or whatever, just move up and down the bar. Or do the numbers and your weight to the total on the scale.

Last edited:

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Or buy a 3/4" torque wrench priced from $80.00 to $3000.00 or...........borrow one from one of your buddies.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois

TMO Supporting Vendors