The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Front Brake Upgrade Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJ
I personally wouldn't use anything cross drilled for the track unless it was part of a proven package like the Brembo Pro kit. But even with the high end kits most seem to be slotted and not drilled. Too many drilled rotors have cracking issues around the holes. Plus for the money they charge something more affordable like the Centric premium rotors are hard to pass up.

Theviking said:
I personally wouldn't use anything cross drilled for the track unless it was part of a proven package like the Brembo Pro kit. But even with the high end kits most seem to be slotted and not drilled. Too many drilled rotors have cracking issues around the holes. Plus for the money they charge something more affordable like the Centric premium rotors are hard to pass up.

Ya the cracking part does worry me also, but I thought the thicker higher quality drill rotors did not have this problem any more. I also think shelby does not make their brake and rotor setups, it looks to be baer part.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
+1. Stay away from cross drilled. Porsche uses a special process that helps prevent cracking so that's why they use 'cross drilled' on their stock rotors. For aftermarket rotors, the drilled portions are a weak link. The weight saved and the heat dissipation characteristics aren't worth the tradeoff on life expectancy.

-Pete

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
neema said:
I've heard 302s BBS wheels fit over them as well, but haven't seen it in person.
I tried the BBS wheel and wasn't able to get it on. A caveat, I was rushed and maybe there was a wheel weight interfering with the caliper. Even so that would be a tight fit. Would like another chance to try it.
Steve

neema said:
I've heard 302s BBS wheels fit over them as well, but haven't seen it in person.

steveespo said:
I tried the BBS wheel and wasn't able to get it on. A caveat, I was rushed and maybe there was a wheel weight interfering with the caliper. Even so that would be a tight fit. Would like another chance to try it.
Steve

I know these wheels fit the 380MM race setup, I have seen them used on a 302R. Maybe the factory kit is different and will not allow them to fit?

YellowBoss said:
I know these wheels fit the 380MM race setup, I have seen them used on a 302R. Maybe the factory kit is different and will not allow them to fit?
Is the 380mm race setup a six piston caliper?

NFSBOSS said:
Is the 380mm race setup a six piston caliper?
Hoerr list three, six piston calipers ($4,500 or more :eek:) that fit 380's. I do not see the XB10511 or 12 listed and that was the number for for the Mustang and what the 302R was using. I believe they are four piston

Here is one of the six pistons.
http://www.hrpworld.com/store/default/brake-system/brake-calipers/brembo-brake-calipers-and-service-parts/brembo-xa3-02-series-6-piston-gt-brake-calipers.html

Others here
http://www.hrpworld.com/store/default/brake-system/brake-calipers/brembo-brake-calipers-and-service-parts.html

Swiesz said:
Sorry to high jack, but I am thinking going with these shelby rotors front and rear. Planning on 2-3 maybe four track days and just cruisin around town. Oh and probably a set of Carbotech pads

What do you guys think about these setup?

http://www.shelbystore.com/Shelby-Brembo-14-Front-Brake-Rotor-Upgrade-Kit-p/z28-s7m-2300-c.htm
http://www.shelbystore.com/product-p/z-2262019.htm

Stay away from those! I warped a set in no time although I bedded them right. JUNK...
I used GIRODISC instead and they are GOOD!

I was wondering how the fitment of brake ducting kit, specifically the backing plates, will be with the larger 15" rotor and caliper set-up. Has anybody made the switch to the GT500 set-up and kept the kit? Was there any modification necessary?

I got the Girodisc rotors, SS brake lines, DOT4 and carbotech pads. Works very well. Only change i may make is upgrading to DBA 4000s in the spring for the rear.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
cp85gt said:
I was wondering how the fitment of brake ducting kit, specifically the backing plates, will be with the larger 15" rotor and caliper set-up. Has anybody made the switch to the GT500 set-up and kept the kit? Was there any modification necessary?
No mods needed, Ford kit aims the air at the spindle center to blow air through the cooling vanes of the rotor.
Steve

Re: Front Brake Upgrade Options And The Winner Is?

I just placed an order for the Stoptech kit with one modification. Instead of the STR40 calipers I got the ST40 calipers in black. The STR's cost more due to the extra machining and anodizing. They function the exact same and this will save several hundred dollars. My three main reasons for going with the Stoptech kit are:

Rotor size - the 355x35 seemed like a nice midway point between stock sized 355x32 and 380x32. They should have improved heat dissipation over the stock rotors and have less fitment issues with 18" track wheels.
Brake pad selection - these calipers use the same pad as Porsche's so everyone under the sun makes pads for them including Pagid.
Ring replacement cost - these should be $300+ less expensive than Brembo rings.

The calipers have seals and I ordered the floating rotors with the anti rattle street hardware. The kit includes Stoptech SS brake lines but no brake pads.

For those interested Stoptech told me the black calipers have less fading than red which has less fading than blue, yellow or white. The anodized calipers have the least amount of fading.

NFSBOSS said:
Stoptech STR 40[/b]
Another nice race setup that the new SCCA Spec Mustang class is using. This is the four piston caliper and includes a 355x35mm rotor and the added thickness is supposed to provide a noticeable improvement in heat dissipation. The Stoptech calipers accept a standard Porsche size pad so there are many options. I doubt there are many ring replacement options on this one. Stoptech claims to have the stiffest forged calipers available but who knows. This kit can be ordered with dust seals and anti rattle hardware. The benefit of this kit is more mass and cooling in a 355mm diameter rotor.

http://www.cortexracing.com/shop/stoptech-str40-355x35mm-s197-spec-mustang/

Stoptech_STR.jpg

Both the Stoptech and Brembo Pro calipers should be adaptable to the new S550 Mustangs with the correct brackets.

BOSS#3065 said:
Anyone know if the 15" front brakes will fit inside 20" Vossen cv7s?

Unfortunately, they won't. I had that dilemma with stop tech 15" rotors with CV7s. Factory 15" brembo calipers are even taller so they would definitely not fit.

Vossens have a unique barrel shape that tapers down in diameter. This cuts down on space.

Smilieboy said:
I got the Girodisc rotors, SS brake lines, DOT4 and carbotech pads. Works very well. Only change i may make is upgrading to DBA 4000s in the spring for the rear.

Girodisc has rear rotors for the Boss, too:
http://www.girodisc.com/Girodisc-Rear-2pc-Floating-Rotors-for-Boss-302_p_6421.html
Then you would have matching rotors front and rear.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel