The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Front Brake Upgrade Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just took a look at my M-2300-T kit and the Caliper/Pad looks huge.The rotor boxes also say Made In The USA! Can't wait to try it out with the Boss.

BOSS#3065

Go big or go home...
GA
Vossen people,

Here is a 2013 GT with 6 piston GT 500 brakes and 20" Vossen CV-7s...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustang-gt-v6-buy-sell-368/976470-fs-race-red-2013-gt-brembo-vossen-cv7s.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2013-shelby-gt500-413/983281-pics-vossen-cv3-nitto-tires-bmr-suspenion-frpp-lowering-springs.html

BOSS#3065 said:
Vossen people,

Here is a 2013 GT with 6 piston GT 500 brakes and 20" Vossen CV-7s...

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2011-mustang-gt-v6-buy-sell-368/976470-fs-race-red-2013-gt-brembo-vossen-cv7s.html

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2013-shelby-gt500-413/983281-pics-vossen-cv3-nitto-tires-bmr-suspenion-frpp-lowering-springs.html

Sorry for misinformation then! Stoptech 380mm/15" brakes are mounted farther inboard and they collide with the valve stem and rub the barrel at its narrowest point. Hence, the paint that rubbed off of the caliper bridge onto the hoop. Look for black strip.

IMG_2340.jpg

The 15" brembos are located farther outboard which must give them the space to sit inside Vossens.

My Stoptech brakes arrived. These are 355x35MM rotors vs. 355x32 stock. The new Z06 comes with 371x33 rotors and the new Z07 package with CC brakes has 394x36 rotors. For reference the new Porsche 911 Turbo S has 410x36 rotors up front. :p

I won't get them installed this weekend but should have them on in the next couple of weeks.

IMG_3317_zps0504e09c.jpg
IMG_3319_zpse36eb610.jpg
IMG_3320_zps1fa925eb.jpg

Does anyone know why this area of the rotor is machined down? I'm assuming for balance but not 100% sure.

IMG_3323_zps0d0ba781.jpg

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
patrickshelby said:
Does anybody use the 2013-14 GT500 frt six pots caliper with the FRPP 15" aluminium hub rotors?

I don't only because they cost $700 each. Solid Ford rotors are $185 each at Tousley Ford. If you run the car on track a set will last 4-5 days at best. I haven't seen the cost for replacement rings, but in my experience the rings are about 75% of the cost of the complete setup so maybe $550 each. You get more bang fo your buck buying new tires and using the one piece rotors.
Steve

So you are using the OEM 13-14 GT500 front setup (caliper+rotor).
Did you feel a REAL improvement vs the BOSS OEM system (using the same type of pads of course)?

I finally got my kit installed yesterday. The installation went pretty smooth and the Stoptech instructions are very well written. In fact I recommend you follow them to the letter and in the same sequence they have.

I haven't bed the pads it yet and it will be a couple of months until I have my car at a track so you'll have to wait to read how they do. I don't expect any improved braking performance but rather improved cooling from the thicker rotor and the forged caliper.

IMG_3373_zps5117891b.jpg

This is my first time installing aftermarket calipers and this design will make it much easier replacing rotors in the future. I know there's a name for this but it escapes me at the moment. Let's hope the S550 Mustangs have this style of mounting from the factory.

IMG_3362_zpsceb9b380.jpg
IMG_3363_zps4320319e.jpg

The brake pads are slightly smaller but about 1.5mm thicker.

IMG_3325_zpsd87e4683.jpg
IMG_3327_zpsb22c47f1.jpg

The bridge used for pad retention is pretty slick and adds stiffness to the caliper. It also has an air scoop on it to aid cooling.

IMG_3374_zpsff5c1132.jpg
IMG_3372_zps1575c2a7.jpg

And the kit came with a rubber cap for the hard line to keep the fluid from spilling all over. I still made a mess though.

IMG_3360_zps42007a81.jpg

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
NFSBOSS said:
This is my first time installing aftermarket calipers and this design will make it much easier replacing rotors in the future. I know there's a name for this but it escapes me at the moment. Let's hope the S550 Mustangs have this style of mounting from the factory.

I doubt this type of mounting would show up on the S550. Everything points to the same brake hardware found on the current mustangs. What I don't like about an added bracket like that is introducing another mechanical joint to create a little more lateral play and increase the potential for pad knockback.

Install looks great and looking forward to your impressions.

Grant 302 said:
I doubt this type of mounting would show up on the S550. Everything points to the same brake hardware found on the current mustangs. What I don't like about an added bracket like that is introducing another mechanical joint to create a little more lateral play and increase the potential for pad knockback.
I agree on the additional mechanical connection but it would be easy to build this mount into the spindle on the new car. Probably not going to happen but we can wish. IMO it's a superior way to mount a caliper compared to what we have.

I noticed the Brembo calipers have FoMoCo cast into them. Does Brembo make the calipers or one of Ford's suppliers?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Rick
That is called radial caliper mount, most high performance motorcycles went to it around 1998, Brembo introduced it. I think stp tech did it to allow the wider rotor and pads since the wheel side couldn't move out with stock offset wheels.

Brembo is an OEM Ford vendor, Ford usually has their brand cast into the OEM spec parts.
Steve

The stop tech looks good and I like how easy it would be to switch out the rotors and brakes. However, I am stuck with the brembos for a while as I purchased a set of take offs from Rousch for spares. Got both front and rear brakes and rotors for $1000.

Thanks Steve. I had an issue with the passenger side brake line leaking where it connects to the hard line but looks like I've got that resolved. I had to tighten that line more than I expected. Drove it around the block to make sure they were working and it started to sprinkle so bedding in the pads will have to wait until next weekend. While I had my wheels off I found a screw in one of the rear tires but it does not appear to be leaking after pulling it out.

And just for Gary here are the weights from the official BMO scale: ::)

Stock Caliper 8.3 lbs
Stoptech Caliper w/bracket 8.1 lbs
Weight Savings 0.2 lbs

Stock Rotor 24.9 lbs
Stoptech Caliper 19.0
Weight Savings 5.9 lbs

IMG_3375_zps88b81aa8.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Looking good, dude.

LOTS of service parts available through Zeckhausen, if you don't have a local vendor. http://zeckhausen.com/StopTech/consumables.htm

The radial mount calipers make rotor swaps a lot easier/faster.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel