The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Front hubs possibly bad?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

After the track day I have a wobble in the front at about 65-70 onward. It lessons or goes away around turns, and it may be that I didn't tighten down the front wheels correctly, they are torqued however. My dad told me that I have hub grease on my old front rotors and I am wondering if the front hubs eventually shiznit the bed. Other than checking the wheels what else should I look for?

Didnt have the grease, but I did have the wobble.

Re-check the torque on every bolt. That was my problem.

Berol said:
Didnt have the grease, but I did have the wobble.

Re-check the torque on every bolt. That was my problem.

Thanks, I had checked it after driving but I wonder if a rock or something was between the wheel and rotor, I was very tired when putting the wheels back on.

How hard did you run your car Brandon!!
rear pads, not this?! :eek:

Hope it's something simple you overlooked. Grease on the rotor doesn't sound good. However, If not mistaken, Ford had placed some grease on the hub/rotor surface to inhibit corrosion.

F.D. Sako said:
How hard did you run your car Brandon!!
rear pads, not this?! :eek:

Hope it's something simple you overlooked. Grease on the rotor doesn't sound good. However, If not mistaken, Ford had placed some grease on the hub/rotor surface to inhibit corrosion.

Sadly the rear pads were from street driving, I wasn't all that hard on it since it was wet Saturday. My dad is the one that abused it Sunday, if only it could have been me...

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
New hubs used to come with grease on the mating face to the rotor. This wasn't present on my last set.

You can check the wheel bearings by putting the front of the car in the air and trying to wiggle the tire in/out from top and bottom. If there is noticeable play, the bearing is toast.

If you are tracking the car often, you can plan on replacing the front hubs every other season (at least). I do mine every year. Plus you can upgrade your fronts to hubs with ARP studs while you are in there.

Also check the torque on the wheel bearings--supposed to be 251 ft-lbs.

It ended up being the damn wheels, thanks for all the advice on here, thankfully it was a simple fix.

TMO Supporting Vendors