The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Front sits higher after camber plate install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
Happy Tuesday!

swapped out camber plates yesterday and now the front sits a bit higher than it did before. Do you think reclocking the lateral arms (with suspension loaded) on the inboard side will help this? Everything else up front is a spherical bearing. On bushing is the lateral link and I remember Kelly at BMR saying to reclock all bushings after lowering the car.

In the V6L
Happy Tuesday!

swapped out camber plates yesterday and now the front sits a bit higher than it did before. Do you think reclocking the lateral arms (with suspension loaded) on the inboard side will help this? Everything else up front is a spherical bearing. On bushing is the lateral link and I remember Kelly at BMR saying to reclock all bushings after lowering the car.
It's probably not a bushing problem. The bushings don't have the strength to resist over 500 pounds of force from the weight on the front corners.

You didn't say what you were swapping from - did you start with the OEM upper mounts or with someone else's camber plates? Not all camber plates are a perfect height match to the OEM mounts, so even if the camber plates are installed correctly, they could alter the ride height. Also, if you had the springs out, it's possible that they are rotated from where they were and now they're not sitting properly in the spring seats. That could also cause the ride height to rise.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
It's probably not a bushing problem. The bushings don't have the strength to resist over 500 pounds of force from the weight on the front corners.

You didn't say what you were swapping from - did you start with the OEM upper mounts or with someone else's camber plates? Not all camber plates are a perfect height match to the OEM mounts, so even if the camber plates are installed correctly, they could alter the ride height. Also, if you had the springs out, it's possible that they are rotated from where they were and now they're not sitting properly in the spring seats. That could also cause the ride height to rise.
Never thought about that. Thank you

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD

Thank you. Never thought about that the rotation of the springs but I swapped from Maximum Motorsport to MMR. And looking at the plates when they came in I thought they would increase the drop because they looked shorter

62A9E05A-F450-4D3F-AAE6-34815E3CFCB0.jpeg

Last edited:
In the V6L
Thank you. Never thought about that the rotation of the springs but I swapped from Maximum Motorsport to MMR. And looking at the plates when they came in I thought they would increase the drop because they looked shorter

View attachment 76284
How are the springs sitting in the lower spring seat? It's made with a spiral shape and the cut end of the spring spring has to be pushed around into the end of the spiral or it'll raise the spring up relative to the strut.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
How are the springs sitting in the lower spring seat? It's made with a spiral shape and the cut end of the spring spring has to be pushed around into the end of the spiral or it'll raise the spring up relative to the strut.
That’s makes sense. I appreciate you trying to help but it may just be the way the plates are. I will say I have very little to none camber. I haven’t gotten an alignment yet but I doubt more negative camber will decrease ride height. I took the struts off and I had my mechanic swap the camber plates. He has worked on my car for years and I did inspect his work. Not much to miss but everything was installed correctly. I don’t think you can mess up much putting everything back on the car but I was careful in doing so. I think it’s just the way the plates are. Waiting to hear what Mark at MMR thinks. Car drives perfect (barring alignment) and I don’t hear anything abnormal.

thanks for the ideas.

TMO Supporting Vendors