The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

FRPP LCA and bracket...look right?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is how I installed the FRPP LCA's and bracket.....bottom hole. There were spacers that I didn't use....wouldn't fit between the stock bracket so I assumed I didn't need them. But the upper bolt seems like it should have some support between the sides of the stock bracket. Is this correct?

5-25%20001_zpsdsuaxl7t.jpg

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
You need the spacers. That's flat out dangerous as pictured. It's gonna be even harder to get them in, now that the stock bracket has been pinched-in.

You might need to tap in the spacers with a hammer , you need them in there, As far as the hole, if your not drag racing and your car is dropped 1 1/2 to 2 inch drop, use the middle hole.

Crap....that's what I figured. The spacer just seemed too wide to fit. I will have to spread out the bracket with some muscle....pry bar hopefully. I have P springs installed but drop is not that severe. Thanks

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Use a bolt that is threaded the entire length. You can put two nuts on opposing ends inside the bracket and spread it that way. Use some washers and you won't scratch it up too bad either :)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
There is supposed to be a sleeve for that bolt similar to the one that goes into the LCA bushing. That keeps the bracket from getting pinched like shown.

Maybe they forgot them in your kit.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Flyboygsxr said:
Use a bolt that is threaded the entire length. You can put two nuts on opposing ends inside the bracket and spread it that way. Use some washers and you won't scratch it up too bad either :)

Great tip, Adam! 8)

ArizonaBOSS said:
There is supposed to be a sleeve for that bolt similar to the one that goes into the LCA bushing. That keeps the bracket from getting pinched like shown.

Maybe they forgot them in your kit.

docs302 said:
This is how I installed the FRPP LCA's and bracket.....bottom hole. There were spacers that I didn't use....wouldn't fit between the stock bracket so I assumed I didn't need them. But the upper bolt seems like it should have some support between the sides of the stock bracket. Is this correct?

:)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
If the sleeves "don't fit" into the stock bracket, you will have to pry the bracket open slightly. I use a pair of channel-locks in reverse to get them open enough (shove the jaws into the bracket and pull the arms apart to spread it open).

Then you may have a problem getting the FRPP LCA bracket onto the OEM bracket; for this I recommend a BFH and wood block or a heavy rubber mallet.

I will go back under and try the supplied sleeve again. But prior to driving the car, it appeared to be about 2mm too wide and I thought it was a mistake or a part I didn't need. But as I tightened down the bolt I thought it was unusual not having that support between the bracket arms. With the tips I have I should be able to make room and get it in. I will also move the LCA up to the middle hole and start there.

Technically they are 302S relocation brackets and LCA's. ;)

The R did come off the assembly line with poly bushings vs. the spherical for the S. Interesting since the R model was the endurance racer. M-5649-S vs M-5649-R1. If you look at the 2014 FRPP catalog on pages 284-285, you can see the service parts listed for both cars and the differences. The upper control arm was a special piece that was supplied by Multimatic. Interestingly (at least to me) there was never a service part # listed for the rear upper arm. I have seen them on eBay from time to time and they go for $500.00 plus(!). The poly bushing versions of the rear lowers are made by Multimatic in Canada, the spherical bushing versions are from Watson. The part numbers reflect this on the FRPP website. The R1 version is made in Canada, while the S versions are "proudly made in the USA". I guess this application would be "S" brackets with "R" control arms?

Odaly,
BT

Maybe the vendors use Ford Racing as a marketing tool. If you look at American Muscle, they list my arms as Ford Racing 302R. That's where I bought them. The box they came in was a white Ford Racing box. Who knows.

docs302 said:
Maybe the vendors use Ford Racing as a marketing tool. If you look at American Muscle, they list my arms as Ford Racing 302R. That's where I bought them. The box they came in was a white Ford Racing box. Who knows.

Rest assured, you have the R control arms.

Steve,
you hit it on the head. They mandate (Continental Series) Poly bushings almost everywhere....

From Multimatic Motorsports (the builders of the 302R cars)

CHASSIS and SAFETY EQUIPMENT
•Seam-Welded Boss 302 Production Unibody fitted with
IMSA-specification rollcage
•Over 20,000 ft-lbs/degree Torsional Stiffness
•RECARO Race Seat
•Five-Point Harness and Lateral Restraints
•ATL Fuel Bladder
•Lifeline Zero-360 Fire Suppression System
•Quick-Release, Suede-Trimmed Steering Wheel

ENGINE
•Sealed, High-Output 5.0l, 4V IMSA Continental Challenge-spec Engine
•Revised ECU Calibration
•Aluminum Radiator and Separate Oil Cooler

DRIVELINE
•Close-Ratio Tremec 6060 Six-Speed Manual Gearbox with Integral Shifter
•Twin-Plate Competition Clutch
•One-Piece Aluminum Driveshaft
•Ford Racing Torsen T2R Limited-Slip Differential
•Ancillary Differential and Transmission Oil Coolers

ELECTRICAL
•Ford Racing Lightweight Wiring Harness with
Internal and External Master Cut Switches
•AIM MXL Pista Datalogging System

BRAKES
•Brembo Four-Piston Aluminum Front Calipers
•Two-Piece Floating Front Rotors
•Performance Friction Pads (Front and Rear)
•Recalibrated Ford ABS

FRONT SUSPENSION
•Adjustable Inverted Coilover MacPherson Struts
•Adjustable Caster/Camber Plates
•Urethane Bushings
•Adjustable Anti-Roll Bar

REAR SUSPENSION
•Adjustable Inverted Coilover Dampers
•Multimatic 3-Link with Adjustable Panhard Bar
•Urethane Bushings

WHEELS, TIRES, RUNNING GEAR
•18×10″ Cast Aluminum Wheels
Manufactured by BBS Exclusively for Ford Racing
•5/8″ extended and coated wheel studs

DIMENSIONS
•Wheelbase: 2720mm (107.1in)
•Front Track: 1595mm (62.8in)
•Series-Mandated Minimum Weight: 1503kg (3315lb)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel