The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

fuel starvation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Charlotte
I have a track dedicated S197 with gen 2 coyote and I have fuel starvation issues after about 20-25 minutes on track. Vorschlag says the pump and surge tank materials would be over $1200 without labor and fuel cells look costly. I added a Holley hydramat on the passenger side but that didn't seem to help much. Any suggestions and contacts I should reach out to?
Thanks.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Charlotte
Yeah, topping off right before session...Thanks. Looks like it is surge tank for me. Appreciate the input.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Yeah, topping off right before session...Thanks. Looks like it is surge tank for me. Appreciate the input.
Radium makes a really nice captured fuel pump hanger that I’ve been tempted to try. I don’t like the additional plumbing needed for a stand-alone surge tank. When I contacted Radium asking if it’s a viable option for road course duty, they responded that “it’s not intended to be a surge tank”. I wasn’t really asking or expecting it to perform at the level of a dedicated surge tank — I was just looking for confirmation that it’s enough improvement over the stock setup to solve the starve issues between 1/3 to 2/3’s of a tank.

http://www.radiumauto.com/Fuel-Pump-Hanger-2011-Ford-Mustang-P2165.aspx

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I had the same issues...I went with a rear mounted fuel cell. Problems gone.
Plus, the fuel pump and filter are external so service is a snap.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I also went with a fuel cell and an aggressive pump set up as I had lost 3 races due to fuel starvation --- even though there were 4-5 gallons in the tank. It seemed some had good results with a surge tank when they got a super high quality one and did their research, but at that point it seemed it was not that much more to step up to a fuel cell. With the fuel cell it makes the car more marketable if you decide to sell, it is safer , it likely may give you better front to rear balance, and it virtually always clears up the issue. Many race groups are getting close to mandating in the future for W2W , so it may have an added bonus in years to come. No issues with fuel once it was done and surprisingly with some other changes my front to rear weight varied only by 91 lbs. Of course after I did all this fun stuff I sold the car and fortunately the Mach 1 I now own is not quite as sensitive on lower fuel levels , but I have hit the starvation fuel burp already a couple of times, so I know how low I can run it the fuel level.

Good luck --- it is money well spent and don't try to fix on the cheap, it seems that is seldom effective with the Pony and it's dang Saddle Tank!

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors