The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Gen 1 Yote Secondary Tensioner Changes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I’m refreshing timing components on my 14 GT and noticed that the secondary tensioners are now shorter. A guy at my dealer confirmed the part underwent a change but the main cam cap didn’t. These look like they’re supposed to still be clip in by the stock retainer piece. Anyone encounter this?

BA1B6C6C-DCDD-4C77-A86E-0280A176771C.jpeg

C7745804-4E5A-470C-8B46-C0F340202FB0.jpeg

A2EE4FD6-3D32-4FC2-BA26-955CF4415B50.jpeg

If what you were given was a ML3Z-6K254-A, that's the shorter one that doesn't fit. The original 'long' version was part number BR3Z-6K254-B, but the only way I found to source them so far is through the M-6266-M50B kit.

If what you were given was a ML3Z-6K254-A, that's the shorter one that doesn't fit. The original 'long' version was part number BR3Z-6K254-B, but the only way I found to source them so far is through the M-6266-M50B kit.
This is what comes in the Gen 1 Timing Kit. Why would these be supplied if they don’t fit? Lol. That the kit you are referring to? Looks like the correct longer version but hard to tell.

E8D86441-B4FE-42E7-9DEF-69E084261AF4.png

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
The later production runs of that kit have the shorter ones in them as well - hit or miss what you’re going to get. When I talked to MMR, they said the short ones work in the deeper cam journals, you just don’t use those plastic clips (that seem to be made of egg shells). Probably best to call and confirm with Ford Performance.

The later production runs of that kit have the shorter ones in them as well - hit or miss what you’re going to get. When I talked to MMR, they said the short ones work in the deeper cam journals, you just don’t use those plastic clips (that seem to be made of egg shells). Probably best to call and confirm with Ford Performance.
I will do that Monday. Hopefully that’s the case and I can keep ripping. Thanks!

I ran into the same issue with my 12' GT. I ordered the ford racing timing kit with the shorter secondary tensioners. I spoke directly to a Ford Racing senior tech and he assured me that the updated tensioners can be used in the older cam caps. The retaining clip is not required.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel