The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SN95 "Gonzo" the 2000 GT Build Thread Profile - SN95 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Cochise, get Gonzo out to some autocrosses if you can't make it to too many HPDES at present , but you are in a good part of the Country where quite a few tracks are reasonably close. Go to drivenasa.com and check the Mid South Region and the Great Lakes Region for various NASA events close to you. You can also check at SCCA.com and see what autocross or track night events are happening near you and with both organizations you might be able to hit a few events close to home that work with your schedule. Glad to have you here and welcome to TMO!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Clarksville, TN
Cochise, get Gonzo out to some autocrosses if you can't make it to too many HPDES at present , but you are in a good part of the Country where quite a few tracks are reasonably close. Go to drivenasa.com and check the Mid South Region and the Great Lakes Region for various NASA events close to you. You can also check at SCCA.com and see what autocross or track night events are happening near you and with both organizations you might be able to hit a few events close to home that work with your schedule. Glad to have you here and welcome to TMO!
Thanks for the tips! I don't autocross anymore, though I did in the beginning. I'll never be able to go consistently enough to compete in a season, and at most I can squeeze in 3-4 weekends a year to go, so the track time per dollar is more beneficial with HPDE's.

Thanks for the welcome!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Clarksville, TN
Had a great outing this past weekend at NCM motorsports park. This is considered my "home" track as I'm only an hour away and have the most track time there compared to other places. The car did really well overall. A completely different animal than the VW GTI's/R's that I'm used to. My lines were completely different in a lot of areas and I had to learn how to properly use a manual (vs. DSG in the VW). Add to that having to get used to a slightly heavier RWD car, there was a lot of learning on my part.

It was slower than my VW's, but that's not too surprising given it the slight increase in weight and it's underpowered in comparison to the VW's. Not to mention the suspension set-up was much better as well.

I will say though, Gonzo was much more fun though, despite being slower. There was much more of a feeling that I was driving the car and that my input mattered more. The overall feeling and engagement was more thrilling than the VW's

Some general thoughts, and I know this will seem like a lot, I'll keep researching the forum as well to see if some of these answers.

Brake pads - This is definitely an area that I want to improve on. I used the EBC bluestuff and while I felt confident with them I'd like to try something else. Also, I'm used to a set of pads getting me through at least 2 events. These barely lasted the event and I had to sit out some time. I missed out on 2 full sessions cause they were toast by Sunday afternoon and I wanted to make sure I was good for the 70 mile drive home.

Brakes - Is the Cobra R front brake kit worth? I'm hesitant to go with something crazy like a Baer or Wilwood kit. This is not going to be a competition car, but I would like better brakes.

Tire set up - Right now I'm running 17x9/10.5 (F/R) with 275/315. I would like to go with a square set up so I can rotate tires as needed. Plus after talking with MM, they said the 315's in the rear would likely cause some understeer due to the extra grip in the back pushing the car when I want to turn. They were right. I tested this by keeping the clutch in on a couple turns to see what would happen and it definitely reduced understeer when it was in. I've seen a few people go with a square 315 set up, which I would love to do, but not sure I have the time (or know-how) to accomplish this. My thoughts are to go with a 18x9.5 cobra R set up with 275's all around.

This is a car I plan to be able to drive daily if I want to, so please keep that in mind with your suggestions and input.

Thanks everyone!M1.jpg
M2.jpg

T1.jpg

Here are the front tires after the weekend.

Here is the video, I also posted it in the Road Racing forum.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
There are some other members on here from Clarksville and I am sure your will meet some of them as NCM seems to be the favorite track for many in your area! Thanks for posting and the video.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Clarksville, TN
Timing chain and tensioners - check!
Cams installed - check!
Cobra front brakes with stainless lines - check!

Now I just need to get her tuned... Hopefully dropping it off with Lee Blankeship in the next couple weeks.

On order I currently have a rear cobra brake kit, battery relocation and MM grip in a box setup.

It's all coming together!

IMG_1296.HEIC.jpegIMG_1298.HEIC.jpeg

IMG_1297.HEIC.jpeg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Clarksville, TN
Got the clutch cable changed out, and I love love love driving this thing after the tune. Blankenship did a great job tuning it. It's only 273 hp/299 tq but it has a broad powerband and makes up to 250 hp up to just past 6500 RPM.

And also! My max grip package is about to get in, so this build thread is about to much longer! Finally had all of my parts in (really just waiting on the K-member), and I ordered everything last week!

I just got the notification from UPS that my max grip box is about to be delivered tomorrow.

It's a complete max grip set up with Stifflers web brace and stiffening rail. I don't weld so I'm going to have someone install the frame stiffening pieces and Torque Arm cross member, but outside of that I hope to get everything completed this winter!

Any suggestions for hints, tips and tricks are greatly appreciated. More to come!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Clarksville, TN
So 3 months into it now, I’m about 90% done! What I ordered was a complete maximum grip box with everything except for the rear sway-bar option.

The only thing lift are these items.
- Subframe connectors
- Web Brace (from Stifflers)
- Torque Arm
- Set Bump Steer
- Alignment

Hoping to get it all done in the next 3 weeks as I’ve got a Track event coming up. At the very least I’ll get the Bump Steer set and an alignment done.

A few questions.
- Those that have a similar set up, what ride height do you typically live at? Both front and rear?
- Any little things I should look out for? The instructions are very helpful but experience always provides another perspective.

I’m hoping to take it out today or tomorrow to get the suspension settled so I can install the PH bar.

mustang 1.jpg

mustang 2.jpg

Awesome cars, virtually bulletproof. The only thing they lack is subframe connectors and a decent rear suspension instead of the " triangulated 4 link".

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
A few questions.
- Those that have a similar set up, what ride height do you typically live at? Both front and rear?

I went just low enough to get the front lower control arm parallel to the ground. With the control arms in the top hole on the maximum motorsports k-member it's pretty low. Initially I made the rear roughly even. Since then I've gone slight down on the rear to fix some transitional oversteer issues and then adjust left/right to make my corner weights correct. I would have no idea of a number to tell you for ride height. Where do you want a measurement from?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Clarksville, TN
I went just low enough to get the front lower control arm parallel to the ground. With the control arms in the top hole on the maximum motorsports k-member it's pretty low. Initially I made the rear roughly even. Since then I've gone slight down on the rear to fix some transitional oversteer issues and then adjust left/right to make my corner weights correct. I would have no idea of a number to tell you for ride height. Where do you want a measurement from?
Thanks for the input. I'm going to adjust the control arms to be parallel like you said. Someone in another forum said the same thing. I wasn't thinking about a specific measurement, just wasn't sure exactly how to ask how low/high to make the car. What modification did you do to the washer bottle dimple inner finder liner?

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
What I ordered was a complete maximum grip box with everything except for the rear sway-bar option.

This is why you're understeering. Going to the torque arm adds huge amounts of rear grip. These cars are understeering pigs to begin with so the torque are makes it worse. You need a beefy rear sway bar to balance it out and move your roll couple percent to the rear where you have the grip.

What springs and sway bars do you have?

TMO Supporting Vendors