The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ground Control Coilovers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looking for opinions on the Ground Control coil overs. Anyone on here using them? They have the option of choosing the Sport, Race, or double Adjustable shock type. I'm thinking about the Sport or Race option.
I know there are better coil over options out there, but I'm hoping this will be a good budget option.

It's for a 2008 Mustang GT used primarily for Autocross and the occasional track day.

Thanks

Utah
I have used them for about 3 years on my 2006 GT and absolutely love them. I am running the Double Adjustable dampers, 550/250 rates, FRPP 35mm front bar full stiff and rear 18mm bar. I would not consider the GC parts "budget" at all. The GC parts are very high quality. The Koni dampers are the less expensive part compared to JRI or MCS. I have not had any problems with the Koni dampers at all. However $$$ gets you better suspension for sure.

The GC spring rate recommendations tend to be on the lighter side. If you are daily driving the car, a 450/250 rate would be a great middle ground. I started with the S/A dampers. On the street clicked to full soft they were a better ride than my previous FRPP suspension. Even my wife didn't mind riding in the car! Stiffen up the damping and it was track ready.

After about 2 years on those I went with the D/A dampers and heavier 550 front rate as my speeds picked up. The D/A option is great if you work on understanding how to dial it in. Now my wife doesn't like to ride in it, (too stiff) but I love to drive it!

The D/A 450/250 would be a great streetable starting point. Go 550/250 if you want to be more aggressive and can tolerate a stiffer street experience.

I have used them for about 3 years on my 2006 GT and absolutely love them. I am running the Double Adjustable dampers, 550/250 rates, FRPP 35mm front bar full stiff and rear 18mm bar. I would not consider the GC parts "budget" at all. The GC parts are very high quality. The Koni dampers are the less expensive part compared to JRI or MCS. I have not had any problems with the Koni dampers at all. However $$$ gets you better suspension for sure.

The GC spring rate recommendations tend to be on the lighter side. If you are daily driving the car, a 450/250 rate would be a great middle ground. I started with the S/A dampers. On the street clicked to full soft they were a better ride than my previous FRPP suspension. Even my wife didn't mind riding in the car! Stiffen up the damping and it was track ready.

After about 2 years on those I went with the D/A dampers and heavier 550 front rate as my speeds picked up. The D/A option is great if you work on understanding how to dial it in. Now my wife doesn't like to ride in it, (too stiff) but I love to drive it!

The D/A 450/250 would be a great streetable starting point. Go 550/250 if you want to be more aggressive and can tolerate a stiffer street experience.

Thanks! Great information.

Another person I talked to recommended 500/275 spring rate, so that's in the ballpark of what you're running. I assume the higher rear spring rate will help the car rotate better.

The D/A sound like a great option, but sounds like a lot of work to figure out the right settings. I'm already familiar with the Koni SA, so I think there won't be much of a learning curve. I think getting the right spring rate and height settings would be the two things I would need to figure out.

I sent an email to Ground Control asking about the difference between the Sport and Race Shock types.

I have the race valved 500/250 setup from Ground Control.
As expected a pretty stiff ride, but the handling difference is impressive.
All good from GC.Packed extremely well and all well made,I'm very happy for the money.

I’ve been looking at the ground controls for awhile I was just worried about quality but you guys seem to say there pretty good. I only wonder what the difference is between the gc’s and the cortex Konis they seem like the same thing.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I’ve been looking at the ground controls for awhile I was just worried about quality but you guys seem to say there pretty good. I only wonder what the difference is between the gc’s and the cortex Konis they seem like the same thing.
They appear to use the same lower part of the hardware, the housing where the strut insert goes into and the flanges to connect to the spindle. The flanges certainly look the same. From what I’ve seen in the past, GC uses their own top mount and CC assembly, while CorteX uses a rebranded MM part. My assumption is that they are also valved differently.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
What did you think of the gc setup???
It was okay or just fine. Didn’t make me feel like I overspent on the CorteX at the time. I didn’t spend any time tuning it or anything so it wouldn’t be fair for me to review it in any meaningful way. Especially since it was quite a while ago. I do remember thinking I would have gone for higher spring rate.

One consideration I would suggest checking into is if their system is upgradable in any way...like to DA units or external reservoir, etc.

I thought about going with the Cortex option to get the offset struts. I'm currently running 18x11 wheels with Koni Sport shocks and Steeda Sport lowering springs. They don't rub, but it's close.

sfo
I thought about going with the Cortex option to get the offset struts. I'm currently running 18x11 wheels with Koni Sport shocks and Steeda Sport lowering springs. They don't rub, but it's close.

Where are you talking about close to rubbing? front wheel on front strut body? or rear cv bot at coilover spring?

Utah
With Ground control, I went from the SA units to the DA units by just purchasing the dampers and I reused the strut housings and camber plates if that is what you are thinking by upgradable. Then one of my friends at the track bought my SA dampers and the other necessary parts from GC to start himyself down the coil over road...

TMO Supporting Vendors